GTD: Which tag structure for reference material/filing cabinet?

Hello

I've just started to implement a GTD structure into Evernote.

As I never used the GTD system before, it's kind of hard for me to set up a tag structure that fits to my workflow.

Till now, I've created an inbox notebook and two notebooks in a GTD stack, named them "Action" (for actions need to be done) and "Archive" (for completed tasks).

For my reference material/filing cabinet I created a stack with some notebooks for the different contents.

You can see my set up here:

post-145998-0-97475700-1376258685_thumb.post-145998-0-63784600-1376258686_thumb.

For now I've got the most problems with tagging my reference material in a smart way.

For example: I've got a task that needs to be done tomorrow at work together with Dennis. To tag the task is no problem.

But the question is: how do I have to tag the reference material belonging to that certain task? I have no idea to get a good structure here..

How do you tag your reference material?

Another point ist, that my ".What" section does not really apply to my workflow. I'm not sure if it would be clever to fill up the what section with different projects or like i saw it in a GTD example with different kinds of actions (call, write, buy, errands, ...). Maybe you've got an idea for me?

Please tell me, if you know how I could improve my set up for GTD.

Thank you!

And sorry for my english skills, they need to be improved too. Could be a new task for me ;)

I am in no way associated with them, but I use the secret weapon as a process to follow for getting things done on Evernote. I really like the structure.  It has taken me a while to get a process that I'm comfortable with. What I like to do is copy note links and place them in notes as reference for tasks of materials, meeting notes, etc.  

For instance.  A meeting about topic foo will get a FOO tag and a MEETING tag.  When I have tasks from my meeting notes, I create a new task with the appropriate .WHEN.. and then link back to my notes from the meeting.   I can then search for all FOO topics and see what is a task with a WHEN or what was a meeting

Hi Obachecka92,

You may refer to the "Tickle" concept of GTD, according to GTD, we should put all the reference material that is needed in future (e.g. tomorrow, next week Monday) in "tickle file".

Tickle file is a date-label folder organized in a way the allows time-sensitive document to be file according to the future date on which each document need action. (Wikipedia)

My suggestion is, if the task is time-sensitive, then tag BOTH task and related reference material with the Date requires your action. For example, I've got a task that needs to be done on 25 August 2013, at work together with Dennis. Then, I should tag BOTH task reminder and related reference materials with YYMMDD format, i.e. 130825. 

The ref material tag will get sorted in chronological order on your tag list, it is easy to check out tasks that you have on particular date. If you have more than one task to work on a date, simply tag task and related reference material with"a,b,c..." surffix. For example, task A and its ref material apply tag "130825a" and task B and its ref material apply tag "130825b". 

If the task is not time-sensitive, you may apply tag with the Date that you have created the task (e.g. 130824a). There are many other good options for tagging non time-sensitive ref material, such as tag with the project name, task name, unique name you created for particular task, categories (e.g. 3D design, 2D design, hand painting), status and many others.

I Do Not advice you to tag your ref material with context tag (Errand, Home, Call, Computer, Work, 15 mins), as they are not tasks and do not require any action on themselves.

The idea is simple, both task and ref material share a same tag, so if you can find your task, if can get to your ref material easily. In addition to that, the tag itself must be provide some meaning in organizing or retrieving the materials.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To your ".What" question,

Under ".What" tag should be a context or a thing that you require for completing a task/action.

For example, I have Computer, Camera, and iPad as tags under ".What." section.

I have got a task given by my boss, he asked me to prepare a sales report spreadsheet for him. Then, I create a note with the subject "Sales Report Spreadsheet" and apply the tag "Computer" on the note. It is because in order to get the spreadsheet done, I MUST need a computer to edit the spreadsheet. Thus, "Computer" will be applied as my context tag. 

I'm not sure what you have written under ".What" tag, if it is not a context, then you should move it to other section.

Hope it will be helpful,

Hekyi

• 3 weeks later...

Archived