(Archived) Sharing notes on free account...

You guys offering the sharing function with editing ability to the collaborators only to premium users??? Seriously? And also I have to pay for the offline view? My notes belongs to me not to this company...

After Catch Notes I think I have to look for another software, because I won't pay for basic features.  Do something really good thing with real value and I pay.

After some days of using, I found a lot of bugs like:

Android:

no recording stop button, freezing when trying to capture snapshots, random freezing/crashes while using the app, and the checklist creation is broken

Browsers:

freezing 2 times under chrome, 3 times under FF

And this is the one of the best Notes service? Can someone explain why?

• Level 5*

You guys offering the sharing function with editing ability to the collaborators only to premium users??? Seriously? And also I have to pay for the offline view? My notes belongs to me not to this company...

After Catch Notes I think I have to look for another software, because I won't pay for basic features.  Do something really good thing with real value and I pay.

After some days of using, I found a lot of bugs like:

Android:

no recording stop button, freezing when trying to capture snapshots, random freezing/crashes while using the app.

Browsers:

freezing 2 times under chrome, 3 times under FF

And this is the one of the best Notes service? Can someone explain why?

Hi PNRG. Welcome to the forums.

You are correct that anyone can share notes or notebooks, but only Premium users can allow others to modify the notes in shared notebooks. You are also correct that only Premium users can download notes for offline viewing. However, I should note that on the desktop, your notes are all accessible offline, regardless of whether you pay or not. Your data is most definitely yours. It is portable (you can export it all as .html in a few seconds) as well, so you can easily enter or leave the service. There is no obligation to stay and no cost for the rest of your life.

Like many services, however, it costs money to run Evernote. They have decided to monetize their service by offering additional features (like offline notes) to paying users. The cost is only $5 a month or $45 a year. If you purchase a few Moleskine notebooks, or a Fujitsu ScanSnap, or a LiveScribe pen, you'll get pretty exciting products along with a Premium upgrade, so that can make the cost a little more reasonable. If you decide to go back to Free, your data remains available to you forever (Evernote is aiming for at least 100 years).

How is this better than other applications? Well, first of all, it exists. Not only that, they have a viable business model that will ensure (hopefully) that they stick around for a while. This is very important if you are looking for a place to park your data. As a former Catch user, I think you would agree :) 

There are all sorts of benefits to using Evernote. If you tell us a little about your use case, then maybe we can make some concrete suggestions. Is Evernote perfect? Nope. Like any software, there are some bugs. It sounds like you ran into a surprisingly large number of them, though. If you could let us know more about which Android device you are using, and maybe fill out a support ticket, maybe we could get to the bottom of the problem.

Dear GrumpyMonkey,

As I see on the forums, my experienced bugs appeared for other users too, and maybe they already made a ticket for them.

I'm absolutely agree with the pricing plans, I know the storage/development is not free and I could pay more than $50/mo for the real good features, the money really not important for me if I can get extras. But!

Ask money for basic features is a stupid thing.

Like full access to the collaborators don't use more storage space in the db or file system. Maybe using a little bit more traffic. So why I have to pay for this feature? If this company want money for this, do it with brain!

Example: Invite 5 ppl for free (and full access), BUT after that you need to pay... Sounds much better.

My main reason why I'm so unsatisfied is the following: I want to use my notes app, to taking simple notes, and I need one notebook what I can share with my wife for the important things, like what I or her have to buy from the shop, what tasks we have to do before this and that... Simple things. I don't want to share my notebooks with 100 people like the companys do. When I want it, this is extra thing. So this is my main problem. Why I have to pay for the personal, not extremely family use?

And for the end: I agree, every apps have bugs, but serious bugs in the main features a bit hard because this app is not 1.0 or beta. Like the checklist bug. I can't create checklists. No recording stop button etc. I'm sure these bugs will be fixed soon, I just came from other provider (CatchNotes) where I never experienced these bugs or problems.

Android version: 4.0.4

Phone: Xperia Arc

• Level 5*

Dear GrumpyMonkey,

As I see on the forums, my experienced bugs appeared for other users too, and maybe they already made a ticket for them.

I'm absolutely agree with the pricing plans, I know the storage/development is not free and I could pay more than $50/mo for the real good features, the money really not important for me if I can get extras. But!

Like full access to the collaborators don't use more storage space in the db or file system. Maybe using a little bit more traffic. So why I have to pay for this feature? If this company want money for this, do it with brain!

Example: Invite 5 ppl for free (and full access), BUT after that you need to pay... Sounds much better.

My main reason why I'm so unsatisfied is the following: I want to use my notes app, to taking simple notes, and I need one notebook what I can share with my wife for the important things, like what I or her have to buy from the shop, what tasks we have to do before this and that... Simple things. I don't want to share my notebooks with 100 people like the companys do. When I want it, this is extra thing. So this is my main problem. Why I have to pay for the personal, not extremely family use?

And for the end: I agree, every apps have bugs, but serious bugs in the main features a bit hard because this app is not 1.0 or beta. Like the checklist bug. I can't create checklists. No recording stop button etc. I'm sure these bugs will be fixed soon, I just came from other provider (CatchNotes) where I never experienced these bugs or problems.

Android version: 4.0.4

Phone: Xperia Arc

I wonder what other feature you'd suggest they make Premium in lieu of modified sharing or offline access to notes? Personally, it seems fair to me. The developers read these forums, so they'll appreciate the suggestions. 

As for the bugs, I can't disagree there. No one likes bugs. Filing a support ticket to let the developers know about it is the best solution, I think.

Everyone has their own definition of what Evernote's "basic" feature(s) should be.  For me, sharing is not "basic".  However, IIRC, free accounts actually can share notes.  But they cannot share with modification permissions. 

You may think that's a more favorable way & some other developers may use that method.  That is not the method Evernote has chosen for their product.

We try to offer a very rich set of functionality for Free users, which you can use for years without paying us a nickel. But we are a business with employees who like to eat food and pay rent, so we must choose some set of features and capabilities that are reserved for paying customers to encourage some people (approximately 5% of all active users) to cover the cost of writing the software and running the servers.

Adding full offline synchronization to low-powered mobile phones takes many months of engineering to build and tune, so we've put that into the "pay" bucket instead of other options (e.g. charge everyone for the Android client).

• 1 month later...

You are correct that anyone can share notes or notebooks, but only Premium users can allow others to modify the notes in shared notebooks. You are also correct that only Premium users can download notes for offline viewing. 

Hi! So if I was a Premium user if I made a note and shared it with a few Free users, would they be able to edit it because the note originated with a Premium user? Or would all involved have to be Premium Users? Thank you in advance. I end up browsing these forums often for solutions and such, and you are always the person answering and you are so nice about it! So... thanks!!

Hi! So if I was a Premium user if I made a note and shared it with a few Free users, would they be able to edit it because the note originated with a Premium user? Or would all involved have to be Premium Users? Thank you in advance. I end up browsing these forums often for solutions and such, and you are always the person answering and you are so nice about it! So... thanks!!

Yes! If a premium member sharing a note with basic user, the basic user can edit, create new one, or delete notes if the premium member give permissions to do that to the basic user.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a free account and have been given access to a notebook where I can edit and create notes. This is great from the laptop but I want to be able to access the notebook from the mobile app. Can this be done if I upgrade to a premium account?

• Level 5*

I have a free account and have been given access to a notebook where I can edit and create notes. This is great from the laptop but I want to be able to access the notebook from the mobile app. Can this be done if I upgrade to a premium account?

You do not need a premium account for this. You just log in to the same account with the Evernote client for the mobile device that you are using.

Archived