(Archived) Isolating tags for one Notebook

shekala

That's a shame. Would be a great help as I have a huge tag tree, but only certain ones apply to any given Notebook. Any suggested workarounds?

Thanks

David

If you only want to see the tags that are assigned to the notebook you're working in, you can hide unassigned tags in the left pane.  But you cannot designate that a particular tag can only be used in a specific notebook.  IMO, it actually adds to the flexibility of tags.  IE, if I want to find all my notes tagged 'tutorial', I can search across all notebooks.  If I want to only find the tutorial notes related to work, I can search refine the search by specifying the notebook "work" & the "tutorial" tag. 

Thanks, I see your point, although would be nice to have a user defined option for the tag to be either available for all notebooks, or just designated ones.

For example, if I set up a new Notebook and want to create a tag tree in advance of entering notes, it would be impossible to see which tags I have in mind for that notebook until I actually enter notes with said tags, correct?

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to create tags that are associated with just one Notebook?

No. Tags are global.

IMO...this kinda takes away the point of having multiple notebooks. If you could assign tags to a particular notebook, then one could have a 'home' notebook, and a 'work' notebook, so you could easily separate your personal notes form, work, etc... but if all the tags are going to show up in the same tag tree anyway, what's the point of having different notebooks? You may as well throw all the notes in the same notebook, as it makes no difference?

• Level 5*

Up to version 4 we had the ability to see just the tags for the visible notes by right-clicking on the "Tag" icon/name in the left panel. In version 5, I don't see that option any more. I only have the options to remove from the side bar and to create a tag. Is this just me? I wonder how true tag separation would work in practice? How would I remember where I created a tag so that I am selecting the appropriate tag for the note and not duplicating the tag across notebooks?

• Level 5*

Is there a way to create tags that are associated with just one Notebook?

No. Tags are global.

IMO...this kinda takes away the point of having multiple notebooks. If you could assign tags to a particular notebook, then one could have a 'home' notebook, and a 'work' notebook, so you could easily separate your personal notes form, work, etc... but if all the tags are going to show up in the same tag tree anyway, what's the point of having different notebooks? You may as well throw all the notes in the same notebook, as it makes no difference?
There are some scenarios that require separate notebooks:

* when you want to share a set of notes with another account, you must do so using a notebook

* if you want to keep a set of notes from being synced to the cloud in a desktop client (Win/Mac) you create local notebooks

* if you want to keep a set of notes available on a mobile client (Android/iOS), then you do so using offline notebooks

Aside from that, separate notebooks are not really required, and tags do the job just as well (maybe better) for many people. And indeed, there are a number of folks here who have many notes, but on a small number of notebooks (I have 10 now, some of which are for sharing/offline use, and a couple of which could probably be pared away). In general, I don't find interacting with the tag tree all that convenient anyways once you have a fair number (I'm at ~200 or so, even when "Hide unassigned" tags was working), and prefer to use saved searches and typeahead lookups to select tags. I often keep the tag tree closed altogether.

With respect to the tags thing -- in V5, it appears that the "Show unassigned tags" flag is still around, and there's a menu entry to set it, but it's just not implemented currently. I'd guess that it will come back, hopefully soon.

Archived