(Archived) bi-directional share/ edit (free and premium accounts) possible?

So I recently got married to another Evernote user (I'm sure that was a factor). We both have our free accounts from way back but we want to share and edit a lot more notes between us now.

I was thinking of setting up a new premium joint account and then retaining our own free accounts for our own stuff (she doesn't want to see my diving folder, I don't want to see her shoes I want to buy folder).

I can see that it is possible to have a premium account and a single free account logged in together but the Evernote help isn't clear on the user story thereafter so I thought I'd ask the community.

- Will Evernote be 'unhappy' about 2 people logged into a joint account at the same time from different platforms, especially with 2 fac authentication coming in?

- Can I log into 2 accounts via iphone and web so I can see my and my joint notes?

- When logged into both accounts, do I have to choose which account to create the note/ notebook in?

- Does this later affect my ability to share and edit?

ie I make a note in my free account, then want to share it so we can edit it. Possible?

or I make a note in our joint account, share it with the free accounts for editing

- Does any of this vary across platforms (iphone, desktop and web)?

Thanks very much for any advice

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum,

If you want to just share certain folders your easiest solution would be to have one premium account which gives you the sharing ability with a free account and one free account.

So for example upgrade your account to premium, create a new Notebook then share it with your Wife. Simple!

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

So I recently got married to another Evernote user (I'm sure that was a factor). We both have our free accounts from way back but we want to share and edit a lot more notes between us now.

I was thinking of setting up a new premium joint account and then retaining our own free accounts for our own stuff (she doesn't want to see my diving folder, I don't want to see her shoes I want to buy folder).

I can see that it is possible to have a premium account and a single free account logged in together but the Evernote help isn't clear on the user story thereafter so I thought I'd ask the community.

- Will Evernote be 'unhappy' about 2 people logged into a joint account at the same time from different platforms, especially with 2 fac authentication coming in?

- Can I log into 2 accounts via iphone and web so I can see my and my joint notes?

- When logged into both accounts, do I have to choose which account to create the note/ notebook in?

- Does this later affect my ability to share and edit?

ie I make a note in my free account, then want to share it so we can edit it. Possible?

or I make a note in our joint account, share it with the free accounts for editing

- Does any of this vary across platforms (iphone, desktop and web)?

Thanks very much for any advice

Matt

I think Chris is correct. To elaborate on this more, I'll say that I don't recommend sharing an account. It is much easier to have one Premium account for you (or her) and another Free account for her (or you). The Premium account holder shares a notebook (or several) with modification privileges, and the Free user joins the notebook. From there, it is (in most respects) just like the notebook was their own. If your wife uploads a 90 MB photo into that notebook (the Free monthly allowance is just 60 MB), it ought to work fine, and the 90 MB will be subtracted from the monthly upload allowance for the Premium person. Any notes made or edited in this shared notebook are seen by the other person essentially the same as you see them now.

A couple possible issues come to mind. First, the person who joined the shared notebook (not the owner) cannot downloaded the notes in it for offline use on the iPad, iPhone, or iPod. Second, I don't believe you can create new tags and apply them within the joined notebook unless you own it (I have not tested this myself). For many people, these are not problems, but depending on your use case, they could become issues.

Thanks to both for the advice, very useful. I think I just need a bit more info to make a decision:

I'm not clear on the bi directionality of sharing. Can a free user create a note and share with a premium user and then the premium user edit a note (always), or does the originating account have to be premium for subsequent editing?

Also (to address GrumpyMonkeys point) can a premium account and a free account be logged in on iphone together (accepting only premium notes and I assume starred notes would be available for offline) like the desktop client or is it only 1 account?

If I do go down the joint route can this account be simultaneously accessed on 2 platforms?

• Level 5*

Thanks to both for the advice, very useful. I think I just need a bit more info to make a decision:

I'm not clear on the bi directionality of sharing. Can a free user create a note and share with a premium user and then the premium user edit a note (always), or does the originating account have to be premium for subsequent editing?

Also (to address GrumpyMonkeys point) can a premium account and a free account be logged in on iphone together (accepting only premium notes and I assume starred notes would be available for offline) like the desktop client or is it only 1 account?

If I do go down the joint route can this account be simultaneously accessed on 2 platforms?

Hi. Glad we could help.

1. The owner of the notebook has to be Premium to enable modifications by others. After that, it doesn't matter whether the people they invite to join the notebook are Free or Premium. They can do whatever they want (with the exception of creating tags, though they can use existing tags).

No. Only one account can be logged into Evernote at a time. You could (and I do) log into a Premium and then a Free account on the same phone, but it is quite a hassle. 

Yes, you could view a notebook simultaneously from one or a hundred computers. I don't recommend it, though, because Evernote doesn't sync with every change, so you will almost certainly generate lots of note modification conflicts when the device syncs.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I found this post while I was looking for the answer to the following scenario -

User A (premium user)

User B (free user)

User A shares a notebook with User B with full access (allow to create/edit/delete etc)

Q:

(1) What happen if User A and B are editing the same note at the same time then save and sync together?

(2) What happen if they are editing an excel file saved in the note and save/sync at the same time?

Thank you for your help in advance. 

• Level 5*

Q:

(1) What happen if User A and B are editing the same note at the same time then save and sync together?

(2) What happen if they are editing an excel file saved in the note and save/sync at the same time?

Thank you for your help in advance.

1) You are likely to get a Note Conflict.

2) You are likely to get a Note Conflict.

The point is is that it's not a good idea to edit the same content simultaneously in Evernote. They're not really set up for that. They'll usually detect conflicts, but they don't prevent them, and they don't provide any tools to reconcile conflicted notes.

As Jeff states, you will end up with a conflict.

As Jeff also states, collaborative working is not the way Evernote was set up.

An example of one of the ways I use Evernote and how I get over the possibility of conflict with another user:

When on holiday, I have someone who creates a new Note in a specific Notebook every time they receive a business enquiry for me. They are on a 'free' account so I set up a 'shared' Notebook with them before leaving.

Once the Note is created by them, they don't work on it again. I am the only one who can write anything in the Note based on what I have done for the customer.

As a matter of interest, when I come back from holiday, all the Notes will be moved into my normal 'Diary' Notebook.

Working this way stops any possibility of conflict.

Best regards

Chris

@jefito & @C6REW  Thank you for your reply. 

In this case, evernote is not really ideal for collaboration work.

@C6REW, your method is more like a "one-way" work assigning rather than bi-directional collaboration. 

I'm sure many user in Business would encounter the same issue. A typical scenario below may cause conflict issue on a regular basis

Assuming User A & B are all both users

A: edit a note at 8am in an internet-less environment 

B: edit the same note at 9am in an internet-less environment

both back to the office at 10am and sync at the same time 

result: conflict notes

And I found in a conflict note, it's difficult to find what information is new and what's old. Most of the time ending going through all the info again and edit them...

Archived