(Archived) Auto Creation of a New Notebook

CIA85044

Idea

Is there a way to automatically create a new notebook when trying to file a note?  

I find myself trying to file a note, web clip, etc and realize that the notebook does not exist...

I then have to take the following steps...

1. have to go to another screen to create a new notebook

2. then sync evernote

3. then going back to the original item to then be able to file it.    

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Is there a way to automatically create a new notebook when trying to file a note?  

I find myself trying to file a note, web clip, etc and realize that the notebook does not exist...

I then have to take the following steps...

1. have to go to another screen to create a new notebook

2. then sync evernote

3. then going back to the original item to then be able to file it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. There is no way to do this, but it has been suggested before, and it makes sense to me. The fact that you can do this with tags shows how much Evernote is geared towards the use of tags for organizational purposes, and if you are willing to use them, I think you'll find they work far better than notebooks (for most things) in the Evernote environment.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with notebooks, but at least the way that Evernote is structured, the notebooks aren't as adept at organizing data.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the message... i appreciate the advice and definitely using tags.  But I need to create notebooks in order to share specific group of information with other individuals.

I see. That is certainly one function that tags do not have. Unfortunately, even if we got this feature (creation of notebooks similar to the way that we do tags within the note editing pane), I doubt there would be some kind of dropdown for the sharing stuff (there is quite a bit of stuff to do there). You'd still have to go to the notebook screen and fiddle around with this, so in the end, if you are sharing, you probably wouldn't save any steps if this feature got implemented.

Archived