On iPad, no Evernote in "Open In" list

• 2 weeks later...

But there are apps that already allow files to "open in..." where you can choose from a list of apps that support this file format.

But if it will be available on iOS 4 for iPad then that would be very handy to do quick pdf annotations or edit pages docs etc...

• 9 months later...

Hi! I am a new user of Evernote and have been having difficulty trying to open files in Evernote using the Open In function on the iPad. I found that if the file is a PDF, Evernote will appear in the list of 'Open In'. However, I have not been able to do it for other document types such as MS Word, MS Excel. Have anyone managed to do that? Could it be that I have missed out some settings? Do I need a premium account in order to be able to do that?

Cheers!

Doremon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

On my iPhone, Evernote appears in the "Open In" dialogue in appropriate apps. However, on my iPad2 it doesn't appear, so I can't open pdfs into Evernote on the iPad.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote and restarted device and other apps but it never appears there.

Is it a function that doesn't work in Evernote on the iPad?

Many thanks

Deb

Hello,

I second this inquiry, both from the iPad as well as the iPhone. One is able to open a PDF with Evernote from within Safari, but not a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, PowerPoint presentation, etc. How to take such action? Please advise, and thanks.

Best regards,

rehmke

You might check to see how many apps you have that show up in the 'open in' menu. I think the limit for apps that appear in the 'open in' menu is 10. I had this problem with another app not showing up, but after deleting one that I didn't use, it worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Connies123

• 1 month later...

I have 4 apps that are able to open PDFs. For some reason Evernote does not appear as an option to "Open in.." when I have PDFs open in Safari.

Right now I have to open the PDF in another program then email it Evernote which is cumbersome. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm using the iPad 2 with Safari.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

Just got the new iPad (yes, it is retinastic). Dumped all of my apps into it. And, I've come across a problem I encountered a while back, but never got around to posting about. If I try to open an email attachment in another app I get a dialog box with ten suggested destinations. Apple's Pages is always at the top. Heck, it even gets its own separate "open in" button (way to go Apple). Evernote won't begin to appear in the list, though, until I delete some of those suggested apps from my device. I solved the problem for myself, but:

1. Why do some apps make it into the list and others don't?

2. Is there any way that Evernote can improve its listing?

3. Isn't this something we should let iOS users know about? If they don't see Evernote in the list they might not realize that they COULD open a file in Evernote if they delete apps.

By the way, the list is populated differently in different apps, with different file types, and sometimes Evernote never makes the list. PDF attachments to emails, for example, I still cannot get to open in Evernote (maybe I need to just delete everything on my device?). Perhaps we need to talk to the developers directly? PDF PROVIDER, for example, will not open up in Evernote.

Actually, we appear on the list on mine, my husband's, my mother's, our QA team's, and a lot of our user's iDevices.

Where we don't appear is on people's devices where they have a LOT of different possible target applications.

Try uninstalling some till Evernote appears, then install them back. Play around with the install order till Evernote is where you want it to be :)

• Level 5*

Actually, we appear on the list on mine, my husband's, my mother's, our QA team's, and a lot of our user's iDevices.

Where we don't appear is on people's devices where they have a LOT of different possible target applications.

Try uninstalling some till Evernote appears, then install them back. Play around with the install order till Evernote is where you want it to be :)

i am sorry, but i think you are incorrect about the solution you suggested. more importantly, this is not another case of me being an odd outlier with "a lot" of stuff as an ipad power user. i would guess the vast majority of ipad owners already have 30% of that list populated (pages, ibooks, and kindle), and when evernote is losing out to browsers (icab) and handwriting programs (notability) this is probably serious and widespread. i would urge you to do more testing and find a way to get evernote prioritized higher in these lists.

1. It isn't the installation order

first of all, you can be sure that no one got installed before evernote! i most certainly did not download pages and ibooks first (thanks apple for putting these two at the top).

2. It is some sort of hidden prioritization

second, if i uninstall an application and reinstall it, then it still ends up ahead of evernote, and pushes it off the list. there is some other way that apple is prioritizing the apps that display in the teeny-tiny dialog box (only 10!?), and evernote is losing out to truly crappy apps.

3. Test

OK. I have deleted a lot of apps before even getting to this point. I have no idea why these apps (some of them I don't want anyways) are here, and others (many I need) had to be deleted. I am trying to take a PDF attachment in Mail and "open in" Evernote. As you can see, iCab Mobile gets re-populated in the same position it had before I deleted it.

EVERNOTE MISSING

Pages

iAnnotate

PDF PROvider

NoteTaker HD

PDF Expert

iCab Mobile

Kindle

GoodReader

PDFReaderLite

Kno

EVERNOTE ON THE LIST (iCab deleted)

Pages

iAnnotate

PDF PROvider

NoteTaker HD

PDF Expert

Kindle

GoodReader

PDFReaderLite

Kno

Evernote

EVERNOTE BACK OFF THE LIST (iCab re-installed)

Pages

iAnnotate

PDF PROvider

NoteTaker HD

PDF Expert

iCab Mobile

Kindle

GoodReader

PDFReaderLite

Kno

i should add that this is a problem i have had for a long time, and i think i posted in the forums about it before. at the time i thought it was just my unfamiliarity with ios, but i am beginning to suspect that something else is going on behind the scenes. the real problem, of course, is apple's insanely limited selection of potential targets. but, we all know how apple likes to limit things for no particular reason, so there isn't much point in banging your head against that wall. the best thing to do would be to get your app ahead of the crappy ones out there, and hopefully even above something like kindle.

So, checked around on this and it appears they are displayed in the order of last used, as well as capped at 10. So if you don't use Evernote and have more than 10 PDF programs - everything else will be left off the list.

This may or may not explain your testing of the subject, but it's unlikely that there's some voodoo happening on the backend, other than Apple showing preference for its core products, which makes sense.

• Level 5*

nah. you know that ain't right geoff! i use evernote 24/7. i have never even opened the kindle, kno, or notabiliy apps. and, icab mobile is the same place on the list, no matter whether i use it or not. the list was populated this way from the beginning. is there anyone in the office there (you guys are obviously evernote users!) who can get evernote to go above kindle or icab mobile?

EDIT: we are both right. i don't know how apple populates the list in the beginning (pretty badly i think), and it doesn't matter how often you use an app, but it does matter how often you open a file type in an app. so, i have to open up pdfs, word files, excel files, keynote files, and everything else in evernote at least once before adding those other apps to the ipad. then i am ok. this solves my problem. thanks!

unfortunately, for some reason, apple is leaving evernote way down below others in the initial population of the list. any ideas why this happens? i wonder if some people never even see evernote, because they already had ten targets for that file type. that's bad. obviously, apple's poor design is the culprit, but is there any workaround for you? what did kindle do (who did they bribe?) to get so high?

Oh yes, the "open in" feature is terrible sometimes, I want to open some files (torrents) with dropbox (so the torrent starts downloading automatically on the desktop) but Safari gives me an option to open in Evernote only...

I think it's really an iOS problem though, not Evernote's

• Level 5*

i agree that the causes of problems with "open in" are apple's, but the problem is evernote's, because they appear much lower on the lists than other apps by default. what is kindle doing to get to the top of the list? what about notability and others?

geoff suggested a solution that definitely works, at least when we are talking about pdfs (i can't speak to your torrent problem, because apple may not recognize dropbox as a valid target), but i bet there are many experienced users of ios (both heather and i were confused about this) who do not understand how the list gets populated and may not realize that evernote is a valid target for whatever "open in" operation they are trying to do.

• Level 5*

Dropbox used to open torrents, now the only option is Evernote. Seems kind of random to me

maybe. i can't say what apple is fiddling around with to populate these lists. my point is that evernote needs to figure it out. i guess, according to your experience, that evernote is the go-to place for opening torrents. whatever they managed to do in order to get that, they need to do for PDFs and other files as well :)

A round trip is the only answer to this problem at the moment - but the best round trip is ( if you have it ) to pdf pen - so open the pdf in pdfpen for ipad (which always seems to be in the 'open in' lists). The pdf pen app has a specific item then for exporting to evernote. Its a bit peculiar - it shows the notebooks as folders, but it works with a minimum of taps.

• Level 5*

A round trip is the only answer to this problem at the moment - but the best round trip is ( if you have it ) to pdf pen - so open the pdf in pdfpen for ipad (which always seems to be in the 'open in' lists). The pdf pen app has a specific item then for exporting to evernote. Its a bit peculiar - it shows the notebooks as folders, but it works with a minimum of taps.

ii don't think you necessarily need a round trip. i am still a little confused about how to affect the sort order. even though i have used evernote to open pdfs, i still cannot get it higher in the list. can anyone else confirm how this works?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm the developer behind Nebulous Notes for iOS, and a user reported today that they can no longer tap "Open in" to open docs in Evernote. I looked into my code and see that I send the same "Open in" information that Dropbox uses.

So I tried the Dropbox app, and "Open in" to Evernote also doesn't seem to work.

The subject line shows up, but no body.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

- Phil

• Level 5*

I'm the developer behind Nebulous Notes for iOS, and a user reported today that they can no longer tap "Open in" to open docs in Evernote. I looked into my code and see that I send the same "Open in" information that Dropbox uses.

So I tried the Dropbox app, and "Open in" to Evernote also doesn't seem to work.

The subject line shows up, but no body.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

- Phil

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

You have a great app. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

[EDIT:] Same thing here with the Lite version of your app. Title, but no content.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Appears to have been fixed in the new version (4.3.0), sort of. It makes it an attachment, which seems a little silly for a text file. The way it worked before, which is the way I would like it to work, is to put it in the body of the Evernote file.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Good news for those of us with lots of apps on our devices, because Apple now lets us open our PDFs in any app, instead of just 10 that Apple used to choose seemingly at random. This means I don't have to delete apps off of my device anymore to open a PDF in Evernote :)

• 1 month later...

I have an open support ticket for this but wondering if anyone else running the new Evernote 5.0 can't open pdf's from Safari or Mail straight into Evernote using the "Open In..." action.

iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1 and Evernote 5.0

Just me?

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have no option to "Open in Evernote" on the iPad iOS6. Other pdf Editors are there in the menu. Not there from DropBox, either. The option is there on my iPhone 5 iOS6 - I can open DropBox and open a pdf into Evernote. I also have tried other iPads and the "Open in Evernote" option is there.

I uninstalled Evernote on the iPad, shut down and restarted and reinstalled Evernote and the option is still missing.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

Deb

Actually I just solved this by deleting other of the apps on the Open in list.

It thought the limits had been removed with iOS6. I currently have 24 on there, and Evernote has reappeared, since I deleted 5 others. So obviously there is a limitation somewhere. I've got too many apps anyway.

Deb

• 4 months later...

Since the update to Evernote a few days ago I can't get the Open In... feature to work from other apps. If I go to Goodreader or Readdle Documents and open a PDF file and then select Open In... to open it in another app -  Evernote no longer appears as an option. I've tried this both on my iPad and iPhone with the same problem. Anyone else encountering this or know if there is a fix?

• Level 5*

Same here.  Used to be able to "open in Preview"

Hi. As far as I know, "Preview" has never existed on the iPad, iPhone, or iPod. I doubt you were ever able to open in it, but I could be wrong. Could you please explain the problem in more detail?

The OP, by the way, was trying to open something in Evernote. In answer to the OP's question, I am having no trouble opening PDFs from GoodReader into Evernote.

I'm pretty sure that BetzHack is referring to the Mac version. I am having the same problem he/she describes, and found this post looking for a solution. The Evernote team claims that "this behavior is usually related to the device…" But I'm having a hard time believing that. So far, they've given me no solution.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping there were some updates to the "open in" issue, specifically in iPhone.  I've read as much as I can find and have taken extreme action on my iPad and iPhone.  I have tons of annotating apps, tons of handwriting note apps, etc.  When going to DROPBOX or CLOUD or BOX, the "open in" feature allows me to see a ton of apps but EVERNOTE is in fact missing.  Now that "skitch" is more and more integrated I was looking to use this as my annotation app outside of the other 10 PDF annotate apps.  Yes, I have uninstalled every annotate app and 90% of the note apps.  I have reset the iPhone.  I can't help but assume I'm missing something.  I've NOT done a full reset and "start as new" on either the iPhone or iPad.  Before I do I am hoping there is a solution or a note from someone that has discovered a "click this and that" poof, all fixed.    

• Level 5*

I was hoping there were some updates to the "open in" issue, specifically in iPhone.  I've read as much as I can find and have taken extreme action on my iPad and iPhone.  I have tons of annotating apps, tons of handwriting note apps, etc.  When going to DROPBOX or CLOUD or BOX, the "open in" feature allows me to see a ton of apps but EVERNOTE is in fact missing.  Now that "skitch" is more and more integrated I was looking to use this as my annotation app outside of the other 10 PDF annotate apps.  Yes, I have uninstalled every annotate app and 90% of the note apps.  I have reset the iPhone.  I can't help but assume I'm missing something.  I've NOT done a full reset and "start as new" on either the iPhone or iPad.  Before I do I am hoping there is a solution or a note from someone that has discovered a "click this and that" poof, all fixed.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Evernote always appears for me as an option. I am guessing that it is working for most people as well. I am afraid it probably is a tough bug to track down, and your best bet will be to contact customer support (see the link in my signature).

One of the first things they will probably ask you to do is to uninstall Evernote and reinstall it using iTunes on your desktop. Maybe that will help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow Evernoters

I just updated Evernote on the iPad and now I can't send stuff to it from other apps! That is, pre-update I could make a PDF in Note Taker HD and then do the "Open In" thing and Evernote would be in the list of about 15 apps that I could send the PDF to. Now it ain't.

I tried sending to Evernote from GoodReader, Scanner Pro and Notability as well. Same thing; no Evernote in the "Open In" list. This is a real bummer for me. Yes, I can still email to Evernote, but that will only work when there's wifi around.

Is this the same for other folks? What to do?

Hi fellow Evernoters

I just updated Evernote on the iPad and now I can't send stuff to it from other apps! That is, pre-update I could make a PDF in Note Taker HD and then do the "Open In" thing and Evernote would be in the list of about 15 apps that I could send the PDF to. Now it ain't.

I tried sending to Evernote from GoodReader, Scanner Pro and Notability as well. Same thing; no Evernote in the "Open In" list. This is a real bummer for me. Yes, I can still email to Evernote, but that will only work when there's wifi around.

Is this the same for other folks? What to do?

Hello and welcome to the forums. Have you allowed the new install of Evernote on the iPad to do a full sync from the Evernote server? If so and still no notes, then you might want to uninstall from the iPad and do a new reinstall, and then let it sync. Hope this will solve your problem, good luck.

Regards,

David in Wichita

Have you allowed the new install of to do a full sync from the Evernote server?

Hi CBG. How do I do that? Is it just a matter of time? I updated 12 hours ago.

Open Evernote on the iPad, top right hand corner you will see the sync icon, two curved arrows. Touch that, it will start revolving, when it stops you are in sync with the Evernote Server. The default is that when you start Evernote on the iPad it does an automatic syn., but give this a try and see if the syn. icon runs for a few minutes, your system might have a hiccup it needs to get rid of??

Regards,

David in Wichita

Thanks David. Yes, I've allowed full sync over and over, makes no difference. I guess the only option is to uninstall and re-install, which I'm a bit anxious about doing. I've only been using Evernote for six months but have put a lot of notes with PDF attachments into that cloud. Do you think the iPad will be out of commission for a long time while it downloads all the files that had been stored locally on the iPad? Or will those notes just somehow stay on the iPad somewhere when I uninstall? How common is this sort of a problem? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Sorry about the hysteria. I've really come to rely on the iPad Evernote app for work and life.

Cheers

Mark in Sydney

• Level 5*

Thanks David. Yes, I've allowed full sync over and over, makes no difference. I guess the only option is to uninstall and re-install, which I'm a bit anxious about doing. I've only been using Evernote for six months but have put a lot of notes with PDF attachments into that cloud. Do you think the iPad will be out of commission for a long time while it downloads all the files that had been stored locally on the iPad? Or will those notes just somehow stay on the iPad somewhere when I uninstall? How common is this sort of a problem? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Sorry about the hysteria. I've really come to rely on the iPad Evernote app for work and life.

Cheers

Mark in Sydney

I think you are on the right track: uninstall/reinstall is probably the best option. I'd try closing everything and powering on / powering off with the iPad first (hold down the power button until you get the red prompt), just in case. I have no idea if this will have any effect whatsoever, but it only takes a couple of minutes. 

It will take a long time to download your notes, I imagine. But, it's no big deal for most people to just turn off the screen saver overnight, dim the screen, plug in the iPad, and leave it on overnight. If your account has more than ten or twenty gigabytes, this could take several days, but most people probably have far less than that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a fix for this problem yet? I have the same issue. No "open with" Evernote for pdf's. other document types, like word docs, I have an "open with" Evernote in the menu. Skitch is in the "open with" menu for PDF's, however, and it is my current workaround. I have had this issue for several months and through several Evernote updates. My notes have all been synced to the device and I have tried many reinstalls to try to fix this.

. I have had this issue for several months and through several Evernote updates.

Hi Blijek, I'm glad you mentioned that re-installing doesn't solve the problem. You just saved me a day's worth of bother.

My work around is to email the PDFs to Evernote. It's not a really big deal, but it does make me wonder if there will be any more flakiness from an app that I rely so heavily on.

• 6 months later...

Archived