(Archived) Image cannot be loaded--on Android, image is djvu format

Glenn Linderman

This is probably a newbie Android question, djvu files work fine on my Windows computer from Evernote, opening in IrfanView, my default viewer for that format.

I loaded one PDF/DJVU viewer on Android, but it doesn't seem to get invoked from Evernote to open the note attachment, I get the "Image cannot be loaded" error instead.

What else do I need to do?

Is there an explanation of the mechanism somewhere?

Would a different DJVU viewer program work better? I noticed one that wants to read email attachments, but the one I loaded (and most of the others I see) seem to want to be ebook reader programs, rather than just image viewers.

• Level 5*

Evernote looks for the app that is registered as the correct editor/ player/ viewer for a given file type.  Try opening a DJVU item on your phone - you should get an option to use the viewer and set it as the default for that operation - tick 'use this app every time'.  Next time you click a file attached to an Evernote note,  it should recognise the default viewer.  Or it could be that Android has a problem with that file format - never used it personally.

Thanks for the reply, gazumped, I hadn't selected a default app for that format. Now I have, I've selected the EBookDroid as the default app for .djvu files. It displays and scrolls them nicely.

However, Evernote still doesn't load the image, with the same error, Image cannot be loaded.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. What you say is very true. However, Evernote handles them on Windows by sending them to the default DJVU viewer, and that works fine. I was hoping for that same sort of behavior on the Android, and gazumped's description of how it worked sounds like that, but now, even though I have not only installed but also (per gazumped's suggestion) selected a default viewer something is still not connected, either in the configuration or the code. I haven't found anything to configure, and hardly know where to look, being new to Android and Evernote on Android, hence my plea for help.

So it could be that Evernote isn't recognizing that the file is a format it should pass to the default Android displayer... I notice that on Windows there is a box with the file name, but on Android, there is a tiny box with a "?" in it, like it doesn't even know what this is? So does Evernote on Android have limits on what file types it knows about and will pass to the default Android viewer for that type?

• Level 5*

Evernote 'understands' a limited number of file types,  and possibly the windows and Android teams have a slightly different take on which extensions can be handled.  PNG and JPG work fine,  so best suggestion unless and until the developers get around to DJVU handling is to save in a different file type if you're sending it to Evernote..

That must be the root cause, a difference in the Windows and Android "known file types" list. But why? If display of the file is handed off to the default viewer of the OS anyway, why should Evernote even keep a "known file types" list?

Is PDF in the "known file types" list on Android? That would be the next best option for these particular files, methinks. But in PDF they will be about twice as large.

Archived