Changing or New Password on Encrypted Text

For those having problems changing the Password on encrypted text (Windows 4.6.7.8)

• uncript any text you want to Encrypt with a new password
  • Highlight and drag over with mouse the text you want to Encrypt
  • Hit keys Ctrl + Shift + X
* * *  If it automatically encrypts it to the old saved password that means you have checked the box "Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote" * * *
      You will need to close the Evernote program and then restart it -- but (for me) if you have Evernote syncing in the background -- You will need to close Evernote in the Task Bar as well (lower right for windows 7)  before you restart the Evernote program -- this way the program is fully closed first.

As before -- Open the program -> go to the note you want to encript -> highlight text -> Ctrl + Shift + X
  • Type in a NEW password prassphase you want
  • New window comes up -- hit Create a new Passphrase (disregard the statement "not a good idea")
    • Why "not a good idea"?  Evernote is reminding you that if you fail to give yourself a hint of the new password phrase and you forget the password, there is no way to retreave this encrypted text
  • So give yourself a decent enough hint of your new Password
  • If you check the box "Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote" this will become your new default password -- I think (??) for any future encrypted text notes. This does NOT change your other encripted notes

Now create a new note in your Evernote account and put this in it -- if you are like me this is the 3rd time I have tried to learn how to change passwords as I keep forgetting I need to log out first is NEVER explained anywhere -- that I could find.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just when I thought Evernote's approach to encryption couldn't possibly get worse, I run into this scenario of trying to update my encryption password! Beyond the pain of having to do it on EVERY note individually  :angry:, the instructions above didn't even work for me. After encryption, leaving the "remember password box" un-checked, when I carefully selected my text the keyboard commands do nothing. The right-click Encrypt function is greyed out. I tried it multiple times, exited and re-started Evernote, etc. Nada.  :unsure:

My solution ended up being to un-encrypt the text, then copy/paste it outside the encryption "box". What a pain...and now I have to repeat it 10x more times.  :angry:

I love Evernote, but their approach here is BEYOND PAINFUL.  :(

• 1 year later...
On 2015-01-11 at 7:30 PM, jasondunn said:

Just when I thought Evernote's approach to encryption couldn't possibly get worse, I run into this scenario of trying to update my encryption password! Beyond the pain of having to do it on EVERY note individually  :angry:, the instructions above didn't even work for me. After encryption, leaving the "remember password box" un-checked, when I carefully selected my text the keyboard commands do nothing. The right-click Encrypt function is greyed out. I tried it multiple times, exited and re-started Evernote, etc. Nada.  :unsure:

My solution ended up being to un-encrypt the text, then copy/paste it outside the encryption "box". What a pain...and now I have to repeat it 10x more times.  :angry:

I love Evernote, but their approach here is BEYOND PAINFUL.  :(

Jasondunn: Could it be that you try to encrypt the whole note? Leave a line on top that you don't encrypt.

Archived