(Archived) Feature request - copy (not move) note to another notebook

Would it be possible to implement a "copy note" between notebooks?

Here's what I am trying to do. Within my account, I have several notebooks that I use for collecting a variety of stuff. I'd like to have another notebook that is public that I can use to share some of the items from these other notebooks, the thought being that not everything in the original notebooks are something that I want to share or others would have an interest in. I know I could do a select all of the contents of the note, then copy and then paste that into a new note in the public notebook. However if you had a number of notes you wished to put into the other notebook, it would be nice to be able to simply select a note from one notebook copy it to another and preserve the tag information.

Thanks for a great product.

Tags can currently be used to organize without duplicating notes, but thanks for the feedback.

I don't understand this - how can I specify a note is in both a non-published notebook and also in another published notebook and do that with tags.

You cannot publish a tag, but you can put a note into a single (published) notebook, and then tag it with two different tags so that you can find it in two different contexts, grouped with two different sets of notes.

• 9 months later...

Could someone please advise me why the functionality to copy and paste (not just move) a note from one notebook into another does not exist? This is a critical feature for me that would make my Evernote experience much more effective, as I often have the need to reference a note across a couple books. I understand that I can tag a note for cross-reference, but that should be a complementary capability, not an exclusive one.

Anyone from Evernote have a perspective on this? Love the app, but would really benefit from this additional feature. Thanks. :?

maybe a slightly different take on this subject, but here goes:

what I would like to be able to do is to maintain my notes in my Privat Notebook, but at certain stage make them visible in a Shared Notebook. However, I'd prefer NOT to have to copy or move it over to the Shared notebook, but rather just "link" (so that this specific Note appears in BOTH notebooks).

This way, I could keep working/updating on this Note alongside my other "private" Notes, knowing the person(s) I'm sharing this too, will get the most updated info for this specific Note, too.

Is there a way to do this already?

Could someone please advise me why the functionality to copy and paste (not just move) a note from one notebook into another does not exist? This is a critical feature for me that would make my Evernote experience much more effective, as I often have the need to reference a note across a couple books. I understand that I can tag a note for cross-reference, but that should be a complementary capability, not an exclusive one.

Anyone from Evernote have a perspective on this? Love the app, but would really benefit from this additional feature. Thanks. :?

Hi, orchardadvisors.

I’m not from Evernote but I have a suggestion that works for the Mac desktop version. It should work for Windows too. It might take a few minutes the first time you do it but after that it takes seconds. You can use this tactic to copy one note, several notes, or an entire notebook. It can also serve as a quick backup for your notebooks. There are three steps.

Go to the notebook in question and select the note(s) that you want to copy. From the top left menu (File) select export. Name the file and where to save it on your computer. To test it out you can name it something like "evernote copying". Make sure to select “Evernote XML format (.enex)” and “include tags for each note”, in case any have tags. Hit Save. It should tell you how many notes it just exported. That only took a few seconds.

Now from the same menu (File) select import. Go to the save place (folder) on your computer and select the file you just exported. Make sure the option to “import tags” is checked. Hit Ok. It will ask if you want the imported notes placed into a synchronized notebook. Say yes. Again, that took a few more seconds.

Last step, you’ll now see the imported note(s) have their own new notebook, named after the file you saved them as. So if you exported the file as "evernote copying" you'll now have a folder named "imported evernote copying", which has exact copies of the original notes you selected (and exported).

Now you can easily drag them into any other notebook you want. You can even place them in their original notebook and have two of them. Because this doesn't erase the exported file, you can repeat importing the notes as many times as you need. Rather than drag and drop you can also rename the imported notebook.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

To aejnarr, the tactic should work for you too. Just export your private notebook (or only specific notes in that notebook) and then import them back, providing others with access to that new folder. Rename it if needed. If another person wants access but you want their's to be a little different, import from the same file then add or delete or edit only the ones that make their notebook different than the others.

Archived