(Archived) Database Read/Write Error - Android Evernote

Abdulmusawwir

Hi,
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and just updated it to JellyBean 4.3, I installed Evernote, but when I opened it.. I got a Database read/write error.

I also read these threads in these links which have a sorta similar problem; the fixes mentioned didn't work for me...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33794-database-readwrite-error-android-tablet-running-451/#

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33794-database-readwrite-error-android-tablet-running-451/#

I've tried deleting the local evernote folder "Android/data/com.evernote" from my phone & pc as well without any luck,
I've also tried renaming the folder without any luck.

I've attached the log file that I was able to get a hold of.

PS: I can access my notes on my PC just fine

Thanks!

Evernote log.zip

• Level 5*

Your log file is empty, sorry to say. And you posted two links to the same thread. I'd open a support request for something like this. Also since 4.3 is brand new, it *might* be related to that but 4.3 hasn't hit my Nexus 7 yet, so I don't have any experience with that scenario yet.

I think I was hitting the same problem, and have managed to work around it.  This may not work for everyone, but perhaps my experience will offer clues for others:

I got the new Nexus 7 (2013) yesterday, so this is with Android 4.3 and Evernote 5.2.1.  I ported over my apps and settings using Titanium Backup, which requires root privs, so I first rooted my tablet.

When I first tried to open Evernote I was getting the same error: "Database Read/Write Error..." including an sqlLite exception stack.  I tried uninstalling Evernote with a "clear data," and reinstalled, but discovered that the "clear data" was not removing the evernote data directory (/sdcard/Android/data/com.evernote).  Using Root Explorer (again, requires root privs), I tried to delete the directory, but it would just fail.  It behaved as if the directory was read-only, but it was clearly marked in the listing as r/w.

Then I remembered that in Jelly Bean, the /sdcard directory doesn't actually exist - it's emulated as a link from /storage/emulated/0.  I used that path and was then able to delete the directory.  After another install of Evernote, all was well.

So, my steps to a solution were:

1) Uninstall Evernote

2) Using Root Explorer, traverse to "/storage/emulated/0/Android/" and delete the entire directory "com.evernote"

--- Note: I just tried this with Astro and it also worked, so it appears that root is not required.

3) Reinstall Evernote

4) Sign in, sync, then all should be well.

Good Luck!

--Roger

I have the same problem on my Amazon Kindle Fire, which is rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.1.2. My file structure seems a little different from the above. I tried both /sdcard/Android/data/ and /storage/sdcard0/Android/data,but do not see an Evernote directory. Any idea where else the directory may be?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

As it turns out, I also have a device running CyanogenMod 10.1.2 (my phone).  I had not looked before, but it appears to have the same structure as my Nexus 7 running stock 4.3.  I can navigate down to "/storage/emulated/0/Android/" and find the "com.evernote" directory.  

On the CyanogenMod phone, I *do* see the alternate path using "/storage/sdcard0" but that is also emulated (via a symbolic link), so I'd try the direct route via "/storage/emulated/0/Android."

--Roger

I have the same problem on my Amazon Kindle Fire, which is rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.1.2. My file structure seems a little different from the above. I tried both /sdcard/Android/data/ and /storage/sdcard0/Android/data,but do not see an Evernote directory. Any idea where else the directory may be?

Thanks,

Kevin

An FYI for anyone else who is running into this issue...  Abdulmusawwir responded privately to me (because he had trouble posting here) that he was able to succeed using my steps from above, but only with Root Explorer. He tried Astro and that wouldn't work for him.  Curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to try it without using root access.

1) Using Terminal Emulator (and not issuing an "su" command), I was able to remove the "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.evernote" (using 'rm -rf').  

-- reopening Evernote and syncing restores the directory...

2) I tried it with Astro, and was also able to remove the directory with no problem.

I suspect that Abdulmusawwir was just having some other random computer weirdness with Astro, as it appears it should work.  So, with my additional experimentation, I think the following is fairly solid:

1) Uninstall Evernote

2) Using a tool like Astro, Terminal Emulator, or Root Explorer, traverse to "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data" and delete the entire directory "com.evernote"

3) Reinstall Evernote

4) Sign in, sync, then all should be well.

Good hunting!

--Roger

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tips, folks. My stock 2012 Nexus 7 just auto-updated, and fortunately didn't need any tweaking for Evernote to work. But good tips are good tips!!

• 4 weeks later...

*****, I can't uninstall Evernote, since it came bundled with my Android. I can only uninstall all updates of Evernote. If I do this, and go with the old version (3.x.x), everything works fine. With all the newer versions though, it keeps telling Upgrading database... and then the error occurs.

*****, I can't uninstall Evernote, since it came bundled with my Android. I can only uninstall all updates of Evernote. If I do this, and go with the old version (3.x.x), everything works fine. With all the newer versions though, it keeps telling Upgrading database... and then the error occurs.

I don't have a device I can easily test this idea on, but you might try a variation on the above steps without the uninstall.  Instead of uninstalling Evernote, try just a "Force Stop" and "Clear Data" on Evernote in the Application manager, then remove the data directory as shown above and restart Evernote.  I doubt there is actually any compelling reason for the uninstall, except to be sure that all old data, etc. is cleared out.

The only way I know of to remove factory installed software (as seems to be the case for you), is to root your device and then use a product like Titanium Backup Pro to remove the original package.  If the above process (without the uninstall) doesn't work, then I think you're either stuck with version 3.x.x or tackling the rooting problem.

Good luck!

--Roger

Archived