(Archived) Preserving dates in emails forwarded to Evernote

Hi,

I listed this under "other" because I believe it's a common problem under all operating systems.

I am trying to implement The Secret Weapon on a system using Thunderbird as its mail client. The way Evernote handles dates for things it receives by email seems to be a <strong>huge</strong> problem for implementing TSW using Thunderbird or any other mail client without a specialized Evernote plugin using the Evernote API. Here's why.

Several Thunderbird plugins allow the user either to forward or to redirect emails. So I created an "Evernote Staging" folder and use the "Archive This" plugin to set up a key combination to move emails into the folder. When I go through my email, I simply press the key combination for everything I want to send to EN. Then when I'm ready to send the accumulated emails to Evernote, I simply use either a manual redirect plugin (like Mail Redirect) or an automatic filter plugin (like RedirectFilter) to send the emails to my Evernote account.

The problem is that Evernote strips all creation, received, etc. dates from the item. So now everything in Evernote has a creation date equal to when Evernote first received the item, rather than when I first received the item. So, for example, if I need to refer to the date someone sent me an email, it's now impossible unless I keep duplicate copies in my email account. This not only makes Evernote redundant, it also leads to two not-quite-identical copies lying around, which I predict will one day cause confusion and errors. 

Since I have a large backlog of emails and am still in the process of transferring them into a TSW system, this has brought my work to a crashing halt. Unless I want everything currently in my inbox from the past few years to now be dated with the current date, I need to find some other solution. Manually adding individual dates to the subject line -- which some people suggest as a way to get around the limitation in EN -- is out of the question given the large number of emails I have to transfer.

Any suggestions? 

• Level 5*

Could you work on the basis that emails already received stay in your email client and only new cases go to Evernote? If that reduces the volume sufficiently you might have time to add date information as you describe.

When I add emails to Evernote - which is a reasonably infrequent occurrence - I tend to 'forward' to my Evernote email address so that I get the full content of my emails.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same request of evernote... capture the date the email was originally sent out via the email client  not the date evernote received it.   I am having to use tags with the following format YYYMMDD in order to accomplish this.  I am then sorting the items by the tag.  Is there a formal mechanism to submitting enhancement requests? 

• Level 5*

i have the same request of evernote... capture the date the email was originally sent out via the email client  not the date evernote received it.   I am having to use tags with the following format YYYMMDD in order to accomplish this.  I am then sorting the items by the tag.  Is there a formal mechanism to submitting enhancement requests? 

The mechanism,  such as it is,  is here - so consider your request made.  The Evernote developers do read these comments,  though they frequently don't make any responses.

Archived