(Archived) Having trouble creating Table of Contents

I am new to Evernote and saw this video on creating a "Table of Contents" in a note using Note Links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7oSS4i57MY&feature=player_embedded

From what I understand I need to get a Note Link by right-clicking on the note and selecting to Copy Note Link.

That is where I have a problem.  I don't see Copy Note Link as an option.

Is there another way to go about this?  I know I could just copy the link via the the Send menu, but that leave a long, ugly link instead of a true Table of Contents that titles the sections by the linked note name.

Thanks for the help!

• Level 5*

Which Evernote client are you using?

I am using the free version?  I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm on a PC (windows/internet explorer).  I also access it through the iPad app from time to time.

Hi. The "Table of Contents" is a little bit of a misnomer. You can create multiple note links at once. That is all. Of course, this can serve as a Table of Contents, but it is on you to gussy it up.

On the Windows client, I think you can open a note in a separate window (double click), select the notes you want to link in the middle column (CTRL + A to select everything), and drag those notes into the one in the separate window. Here is an example of what it looks like. See #2, which explains how I make what I call "index notes."

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

Only the Windows and Mac clients allow you to make note links. The mobile clients like the iPad cannot make them.

Hi. The "Table of Contents" is a little bit of a misnomer. You can create multiple note links at once. That is all. Of course, this can serve as a Table of Contents, but it is on you to gussy it up.

On the Windows client, I think you can open a note in a separate window (double click), select the notes you want to link in the middle column (CTRL + A to select everything), and drag those notes into the one in the separate window. Here is an example of what it looks like. See #2, which explains how I make what I call "index notes."

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

Only the Windows and Mac clients allow you to make note links. The mobile clients like the iPad cannot make them.

The drag and drop method didn't work for me. 

Is the video put out by Evernote not accurate?  Is there not a right-click menu item that says Copy Note Link on anyone's account?  Perhaps it is a Premium option?

Which Evernote client are you using?

I am using the free version?  I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm on a PC (windows/internet explorer).  I also access it through the iPad app from time to time.

Are you accessing Windows from a web browser (that would be the web client) or did you download the Windows desktop app & install it (that would be the Windows client)?  Note links are not available yet via the web client.  It is not a premium feature.  It is available to all users.  It's always helpful to mention which client you're using.

Are you accessing Windows from a web browser (that would be the web client) or did you download the Windows desktop app & install it (that would be the Windows client)?  Note links are not available yet via the web client.  It is not a premium feature.  It is available to all users.  It's always helpful to mention which client you're using.

That must be it, thank you!  I have been accessing it through a web broswer.  Sound like I need to convince the IT department to let me download the destop app...

Thanks everyone! 

Archived