Skitch for iOS v2.6.2 has been released!

Joe Lopez

Idea

Hey all iOS users we just published Skitch for iOS version 2.6.2.

It should be hitting the iTunes store over the next few minutes and hours (as fast as Apple can push those electrons along).

This new version is a tiny update and includes the following:

* An update to the way PDFs are displayed which allows for better zoom controls and crisper images;

* Some internal changes to improve the app;

* Some miscellaneous bug fixes.

6 replies to this idea

Hi Joe,

Selecting text in a pdf and having those annotations available as text in Evernote will be the ninja feature for my use of Evernote and Skitch.

Is this the Skitch 1 feature called 'automatic type tool selection'?

Currently I use http://www.branchfire.com/iannotate/ for pdf text selection note taking which I can export and then import to Evernote, but it means pdfs are duplicated in both sets of apps or not present in Evernote for my workflow.

Any insight as to the release of this feature is appreciated.

Gav

@Gavriel - Full PDF annotation is new to Skitch version 2.5 (Skitch 1 allowed you to open a PDF page, but not the full extent we support today). 

Let me see if I understand what you are looking for:

You want to be able to select text and then have that text get exported to Evernote as a snippet? Sort of an export for copy and paste?

Or are you looking to annotate some area (with text, arrow, etc) and then be able to export the snippet that would be generated around that annotation. Similar to what we do for the Skitch Summary that we attach to an email. 

Hi Joe,

It's two things:

Highlight particular areas of text with say a yellow text background, like using a highlighter on a book.

Then, have all highlighted sections from a particular pdf exportable into a separate Evernote as text notes which I can then copy/paste/edit.

Thanks

Gav

@Gav

Ah ok, I understand now. Interesting problem. The challenge we have is we render the PDFs as images so we can utilize our PDF tools, but it would be an interesting challenge for us to figure out how to pick up background text and then simply save that as external notes.

We've had some users ask for just the ability to export snippets, and in a way this is in line with that work. We'll add it to our list of R&D projects and see what we can do. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Joe,

I thought OCR included text recognition but ok, thanks for the reply and I will have to try and find an alternative to text recognition for pdf's before adding them to Evernote until you can provide this in the app. 

thanks

Gav

@Gav

OCR does, but that only occurs after you've saved your note to Evernote. Our servers due the work and OCR any PDF. In Skitch when the PDF is opened we render it as an image in order to aide in markup. The underlying PDF is OCR'ed once it gets saved to your account. Then Evernote will try and return the results when you search. Likewise if you upload your PDF into Evernote, it will OCR after it is saved and synced with Evernote. Opening it up to annotate in Skitch will not impact any of the OCR data. In fact we add the written text to the search results for the Note, so any text comments you add should show up as searchable text.

Copy and pasting underlying text is only an issue because of our conversion to an image to aide in annotation. 

Archived