Evernote 5 Feedback: Performance, ignored "any:" keyword, invisible cursor

Nico B

I upgraded to EN 5 lately. I like the cleaner design. I think it is a great improvement.

I stumbled over two issues:

1. Performance: Adding notes or moving them to different Notebooks has a lag of about half a second. This should be a seamless workflow, instead I sit staring at the screen waiting for EN to react.

2. The searchbar ignores the "any:" keyword when searching for mutliple tags. Something like: "any: tag:one tag:two" will result in no results (if no note is tagged with both).

Keep up the good work. I'm waiting for the next update.

• Level 5*

any: seems to be working OK, in my tests (and any: is an OR search: it should return notes tagged with either, not both, tags). You should check your search explanation to see what Evernote is thinking it's doing (View / Search Explanation, or Ctrl+F10. There is something funky about the search control though that I haven't figured out yet, doing copy/paste or just typing a query; maybe that's related.

Yes, I checked again. The search is working.

But...

EN5 automatically adds blue "tag"-signs in the bar above the search explanation. Those seem to have AND behavior. After I manually delete any of those teh search returns the expected results.

Still it's anoying that those tags are set automatically even when typing a search. For example I type "any: tag:Tag-A" and a blue Tag-A sign is set and the next "tag:Tag-B" I enter adds another. So the search I intended is only executed after I click this tag-delete button.

I hope I could make myself clear. I'd like to upload some screenshots, but I couldn't figure out how.

• Level 5*

Whoa, hey. You're right!! I retested with a better set and can see this clearly now. Changing the Any drop down to All (and vice-versa) in the search explanation has no effect. It's an All search. Sorry for getting it wrong earlier.

I think that there are a few problem to work out with search in coming betas. Not quite ready for prime time.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I had to download EN5.  Maybe too soon.

Yes, it does look cleaner and less cluttered..  

I save space by not displaying the left pane as it is just a lot of things I don't use often.

But there are a few I do use.   BUT..   I can't put items/objects on the toolbars anymore. I used to have my frequent notebooks and tags up there (a couple of each).  at work i had a work one. 

then I had a notebook dropdown rather than the left pane..

why why why can't i drag these things up there anymore?  When I try it puts a not symbol and won't put it thee.

PLEASE?

• Level 5*

I save space by not displaying the left pane as it is just a lot of things I don't use often.

But there are a few I do use.   BUT..   I can't put items/objects on the toolbars anymore. I used to have my frequent notebooks and tags up there (a couple of each).  at work i had a work one. 

why why why can't i drag these things up there anymore?  When I try it puts a not symbol and won't put it thee.

PLEASE?

The change to the toolbar has been lamented in the various V5 beta topics any number of times. Lots there worth reading for those who haven't dared to dip their toes into the pre-release, and might want to think twice about it... Of course, there are those reminders... and text highlighting...

PLEASE?

The change to the toolbar has been lamented in the various V5 beta topics any number of times. Lots there worth reading for those who haven't dared to dip their toes into the pre-release, and might want to think twice about it... Of course, there are those reminders... and text highlighting...

Would someone please tell me why I should try the V5 Beta?  Reminders?  Don't I already have that capability?  Are there any earth shattering reasons why I should jump in now?

• Level 5*

PLEASE?

Would someone please tell me why I should try the V5 Beta?  Reminders?  Don't I already have that capability?  Are there any earth shattering reasons why I should jump in now?

If you want to try the V5 beta, I advise you to first read the V5 beta comments, and also look at the V5 video that just came out. If you have specific questions, then feel free to ask.

PLEASE?

If you want to try the V5 beta, I advise you to first read the V5 beta comments, and also look at the V5 video that just came out. If you have specific questions, then feel free to ask.

The video is a joke. EN trying to be like Apple. Doesn't really delve into what sets v5 apart and hopefully above V4. Cleaner, flatter, I don't care. Again, are there any earth shattering reasons/features in V5 that are not in v4. Thank you.

Archived