(Archived) highlighting in Evernote Mac Os X desktop client

UC_student

Idea

The new Mac Os X desktop Evernote app is great.

Noted the addition of highlighting - but the tool does not stay "on"/clicked to facilitate additional highlighting like it does in Clearly.

I noted this once I moved a note over using Clearly add-on to chrome, but it got filed to the wrong Notebook - when I went in to continue highlighting, I noted that the tool would not stay on.

2 feature requests if I may:

1) please make the highlight tool within the desktop client on Mac Os X stay clicked on 

2) in clearly, allow filing directly to a notebook if possible.

Thanks! 

Keep up the amazing work Evernote team!

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Noted the addition of highlighting - but the tool does not stay "on"/clicked to facilitate additional highlighting like it does in Clearly.

Thanks for posting. Hopefully I can clarify this a little.

Unlike the highlighter in Clearly, highlighting in the Mac client is not a tool, it's a text attribute (Like bold or italic). It follows the following rules:

- If there is a selection, the highlighting icon turns "on" or  "off" to indicate whether the current selection is highlighted

- If there is no selection, the highlighting icon turns "on" or "off" to indicate whether anything you type from then on will be highlighted.

I hope that helps.

Thank you kindly. Your response does clarify my question.

I was wondering, would Evernote consider making highlighting a tool within the client as it is within Clearly? 

Given that it (i.e. Evernote) is such a good note taking tool as well, it stands to reason that one should be able to highlight portions of text as a tool as well, especially since a document may be imported into Evernote via Clearly, but then require further revision and/or additional highlighting, which is not accessible via the Browser/Clearly interface.

I can see that I can easily take the note into Skitch for highlighting (it then becomes a duplicate PDF copy of the note) - however, this seems a rather in-direct way of addressing this.

Thanks again

• Level 5

Given that it (i.e. Evernote) is such a good note taking tool as well, it stands to reason that one should be able to highlight portions of text as a tool as well, especially since a document may be imported into Evernote via Clearly, but then require further revision and/or additional highlighting, which is not accessible via the Browser/Clearly interface.

I didn't mean to imply that you cannot use the Mac client to highlight text. You definitely can.

You just need to select the text you want highlighted and click the highlighting button.

Similarly if you select text which is already highlighted, clicking the highlighting button unhighlights it.

Archived