(Archived) Excluding Tags from Search Not Working

Catsworth

Hi Guys :)

I'm trying to create a saved search.

Let's say that I have the following notes:

Note 1 : Clean BBQ (tagged: Saturday)

Note 2 : Cook Meat on BBQ (tagged: Sunday)

Note 3 : Do Something Else (tagged: Any Day)

I want to find only notes that relate to Saturday or Sunday, so I create the following search:

any: tag:Saturday tag:Sunday

This correctly returns only Note 1 and Note 2

However, let's say that I now add a new tag to Note 1 (I've cleaned the BBQ so I add the tag 'Completed') so that Note 1 is now as follows:

Note 1: Clean BBQ (tagged: Saturday, Completed)

When I now run my saved search it still returns Note 1, but I no longer want it to - I therefore change my search to the following:

any: tag:Saturday tag:Sunday -tag:Completed

I would have thought that this would then return only Note 2 (it's the only note that has either Saturday or Sunday, but not Completed). This isn't the case though. I actually still get Note 1 and Note 2, but I also now get Note 3.

Can anybody help me by telling me where I'm going wrong here please? What would be the correct order / tag structure to accomplish what I want to here?

Hi Guys :)

I'm trying to create a saved search.

Let's say that I have the following notes:

Note 1 : Clean BBQ (tagged: Saturday)

Note 2 : Cook Meat on BBQ (tagged: Sunday)

Note 3 : Do Something Else (tagged: Any Day)

I want to find only notes that relate to Saturday or Sunday, so I create the following search:

any: tag:Saturday tag:Sunday

This correctly returns only Note 1 and Note 2

However, let's say that I now add a new tag to Note 1 (I've cleaned the BBQ so I add the tag 'Completed') so that Note 1 is now as follows:

Note 1: Clean BBQ (tagged: Saturday, Completed)

When I now run my saved search it still returns Note 1, but I no longer want it to - I therefore change my search to the following:

any: tag:Saturday tag:Sunday -tag:Completed

I would have thought that this would then return only Note 2 (it's the only note that has either Saturday or Sunday, but not Completed). This isn't the case though. I actually still get Note 1 and Note 2, but I also now get Note 3.

Can anybody help me by telling me where I'm going wrong here please? What would be the correct order / tag structure to accomplish what I want to here?

What you are trying to find is:

(anything tagged Saturday OR Sunday) AND not tagged completed. You cannot do this in EN, since it does not do Boolean (combined and/or) searches.

Workarounds include using a tag such as "Sunday dinner prep", applied to all three notes & then using:

Tag:"Sunday dinner prep" -tag:completed

Archived