Evernote 5 for WIndows beta, missing a Favorites bar

Kilili

Evernote 5 does not have a "Favorites" bar like Evernote 4.

I use it to create a "Tags" dropdown list.  Also for other things where I want quick reference,

Easiest to just show this from an Evernote 4 screen snap.  

This is done by dragging "tags" to the Favorites bar.

The loss of this functionality is enough to cause me to revert to Evernote 4, and stay there until it is implemented.

post-86053-0-86894900-1374270628_thumb.p

• Level 5*

OK, so there's this Shortcuts entry in the left panel that's supposed to replace the Favorites bar. Or should be. OK, so I had one, and could store shortcuts, saved searches, probably other stuff like notebooks. So I right clicked on it and selected "Remove from sidebar" as an experiment. And now I don't know how to restore it, at least it's not obvious to me so far. Will keep at it. Looks like a bit of a UI whoopsie...

OK, so there's this Shortcuts entry in the left panel that's supposed to replace the Favorites bar. Or should be. OK, so I had one, and could store shortcuts, saved searches, probably other stuff like notebooks. So I right clicked on it and selected "Remove from sidebar" as an experiment. And now I don't know how to restore it, at least it's not obvious to me so far. Will keep at it. Looks like a bit of a UI whoopsie...

I think that's an embarassing whoopsie on our part

Evernote 5 does not have a "Favorites" bar like Evernote 4.

I use it to create a "Tags" dropdown list.  Also for other things where I want quick reference,

Easiest to just show this from an Evernote 4 screen snap.  

This is done by dragging "tags" to the Favorites bar.

The loss of this functionality is enough to cause me to revert to Evernote 4, and stay there until it is implemented.

The header at the top of the snippets/cards lets you search for notebooks & tags. We've added on the ability to filter down to a notebook and tags within that notebook too which is more powerful than before

• Level 5*

I suspect I'm not the only one that prefers a two panel view with the left panel disabled.  Unless I'm missing it, I think the only way to see shortcuts is to have the left panel enabled.  Please allow us the ability to drag shortcuts to the toolbar.  Thanks.

• Level 5

Jeff, I think you can workaround this problem for now by updating the ShowNavPaneShortcuts entry in your registry (I'm guessing that it's 0, so you'll want to make it 1).

• 3 weeks later...

I also keep my Left Panel permanently closed. It means I have no shortcuts with v5 but even worse, once I have selected a particular Notebook on the Snippet View panel I am not able to revert back to "All Notes" without re-enabling the Left Panel.

• Level 5*

Jeff, I think you can workaround this problem for now by updating the ShowNavPaneShortcuts entry in your registry (I'm guessing that it's 0, so you'll want to make it 1).

That did work for me, by the way. Thanks.
  • 1 month later...

Please return the ability to put Tags and Notebooks in the Toolbar (used to be called Faborites bar).  Even if we keep our left panel open, if we have a long list of tags and we're somewhere down in it, we can't see the Shortcuts at the top. The idea of a shortcut is you can get to it easily at any time. 

Those who keep left panel closed and those with long tag lists have crippled shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...
I also miss that function to have tags in the toolbar. I use thesecretweapon.com for my GTD system and even though I really love the new design and all funcitons, I think a lot of people would appriciate a favourite bar where you can have notes/notebooks/tags/saved searches - as before. I recon that it would be a great idea. No need to sync it, just add it to windows. Let me know what I can to to make this happen for you, and if I can help you in any way. thanks. 

Want to know more about why i love evernote? read my blogpost: http://www.flawd.se/why-you-need-evernote-to-win/

+1. Custom shortcuts to your notes and notebooks in the top toolbar are critical. Please bring this function back. It would also be great if the custom shortcuts in the toolbar stuck between updates. Updates unfortunately seem to reset the toolbar to it's default state, deleting all of your custom links (pain to constantly reinstate).

Hi, premium user here.  After automatic update, I am not at version 5.0.2.1392.  Shortcuts have been moved from the top bar to the left side navigation. I do like having shortcuts on the left, yet want an option to bring them back to the top, as per version 4.  If this feature isn't coming back in the near term, how can I downgrade?

Thanks!

We use Evernote with the whole family (premium user). We would also like to have the favorites bar back the way it was. The favorites bar was personalized on each desktop, but the shortcuts are not. So I have to find my own shortcuts between those of my family members! (BTW, the same happened on my smartphone (android). I created 3 or 4 shortcuts some time ago and after the windows upgrade there are 15!

Also, as other people have mentioned, the favorite bar was much more accessible in al kinds of usage modes.

Hope this will come back.

• Level 5*

Worst thing for me is the shortcuts are not there all of the time if you have scrolled down, and you cannot have folders on there. With EN4, I could drag "business notebooks" to the favorites bar and a dropdown would appear to allow me to quickly navigate.

The shortcuts bar is really feature limited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

+1. I stay with EN4 until this functionality is enabled in EN5.

I really want to move to EN5 for the reminder support, but the toolbar being gone and the tags for Evernote Business bing a mess are each by themselves enough to keep me on EN4 for my primary machine.  :wacko:

• Level 5*

Bump.  Evernote 5 looked good until I realized I can't customize it.  Looks like time to downgrade the machines I speculatively upgraded.

I don't understand why this insanely useful feature was removed.

After thinking about it, I think it was an attempt to keep EN as portable as possible. With the shortcuts toolbar, you couldnt sync that across multiple instances of EN however with the shortcuts panel, it syncs up and is saved with your acccount. The toolbar was a ***** because every time I updated I lost all of my shortcuts and when I created shortcuts they would not sync up with my other devices.

Probably why they canned it. Now that I've added everything to the shortcuts panel, even though I prefer it to be displayed as a toolbar, it's still better in that I know no matter what computer I'm on, i'll be able to access my shortcuts.

• Level 5*

After thinking about it, I think it was an attempt to keep EN as portable as possible. With the shortcuts toolbar, you couldnt sync that across multiple instances of EN however with the shortcuts panel, it syncs up and is saved with your acccount. The toolbar was a ***** because every time I updated I lost all of my shortcuts and when I created shortcuts they would not sync up with my other devices.

Probably why they canned it. Now that I've added everything to the shortcuts panel, even though I prefer it to be displayed as a toolbar, it's still better in that I know no matter what computer I'm on, i'll be able to access my shortcuts.

Maybe, but the shortcut bar is less functional.

• It isn't always visible. My left panel is about 50 screens long thanks to V5's inability to hide unused tags and always wanting me to see 100% of my hundreds and hundreds of business tags, even when in personal notebooks. So in V4, I can click on my "!Critical" search tag I have in the toolbar, or see what is in my @inbox folder at any time. With V5, I can only do that after lots of scrolling. Very annoying.
  • You cannot  create dropdown menus in the shortcut area like you could on the toolbar. In V4, I can quickly navigate to any personal or business notebook simply by hitting the dropdown when I dragged "All Business Notebooks" and "All Personal Notebooks" to the toolbar. Same for searches, though that can be done in the search bar now, though not quite as easily.

I'd gladly give up syncing for some of these features to have the toolbar back. Well, actually I have the toolbar. I cannot move to V5 on my primary machine until there is a better solution for business tags and the shortcut area.

If you're just looking for all notes tagged with "!Critical", just add that tag to your shortcuts panel. You won't have to drop down your massive tag list to find it. My shortcuts panel consists of location tags and priority tags so in one click (two if shortcuts isnt expended) I am viewing any notes specific to a priority level or location (home, work, personal, etc.). I even have my incomming folder there too..

It's an aesthetic compromise to the toolbar, and I'd rather have the toolbar.. but functionality for the most part is still maintained.

Edit: Im gonna say, the ideal situation would be to have both the shortcuts panel and shortcuts toolbar with options to remove/sync either.

Maybe, but the shortcut bar is less functional.

• It isn't always visible. My left panel is about 50 screens long thanks to V5's inability to hide unused tags and always wanting me to see 100% of my hundreds and hundreds of business tags, even when in personal notebooks. So in V4, I can click on my "!Critical" search tag I have in the toolbar, or see what is in my @inbox folder at any time. With V5, I can only do that after lots of scrolling. Very annoying.
  • You cannot  create dropdown menus in the shortcut area like you could on the toolbar. In V4, I can quickly navigate to any personal or business notebook simply by hitting the dropdown when I dragged "All Business Notebooks" and "All Personal Notebooks" to the toolbar. Same for searches, though that can be done in the search bar now, though not quite as easily.

I'd gladly give up syncing for some of these features to have the toolbar back. Well, actually I have the toolbar. I cannot move to V5 on my primary machine until there is a better solution for business tags and the shortcut area.

• Level 5*

If you're just looking for all notes tagged with "!Critical", just add that tag to your shortcuts panel. You won't have to drop down your massive tag list to find it. My shortcuts panel consists of location tags and priority tags so in one click (two if shortcuts isnt expended) I am viewing any notes specific to a priority level or location (home, work, personal, etc.). I even have my incomming folder there too..

You mean the shortcut section that isn't visible because I am 30 screens down in my tag list?

It's an aesthetic compromise to the toolbar, and I'd rather have the toolbar.. but functionality for the most part is still maintained.

I am glad it is for you, but that means you weren't using some of the advanced features of the toolbar, so you don't understand what is missing. The shortcut bar only minimally maintains the toolbar functionality.

[Mod: Edited for content; let's keep this civil, please. Please refer to the Forum Code of Conduct if you need more information]

**** Just add ONLY THE TAGS YOU NEED as shortcuts for now.

I think the problem is that you are under the impression that everything here is "so advanced". You think because you use priority tags and have an inbox that your setup is too advanced that you don't know how to adapt it? What a joke. 

**** add your tags and shortcuts (FOR NOW), and pray to the EN gods that this feature comes back.

If you can't get by, then your EN setup isn't as efficient as you think.

You mean the shortcut section that isn't visible because I am 30 screens down in my tag list?

I am glad it is for you, but that means you weren't using some of the advanced features of the toolbar, so you don't understand what is missing. The shortcut bar only minimally maintains the toolbar functionality.

• Level 5*

Either your an idiot, or your communication skills are primitive. Stop throwing around this "30 screens down" term as it makes no effing sense. Just add ONLY THE TAGS YOU NEED as shortcuts for now.

I have hundreds and hundreds of tags, many business. Only one of the tags is in my shortcut area.

So if I am looking at a tag called TEMPLATE, it is way down in my tag list. 30 screens down. Does that make sense? I have to scroll down roughly 30 screens worth of tags to get to it. So that is where I am.

Now, I want to access a shortcut. Guess where that is? That's right, It is NOT on the screen. I have to scroll way WAY up to get to shortcuts. With the toolbar, they are always visible as the toolbar never scrolls out of view.

I think the problem is that you are under the impression that everything here is "so advanced". You think because you use priority tags and have an inbox that your setup is too advanced that you don't know how to adapt it? What a joke. 

Remove the tampon, add your tags and shortcuts (FOR NOW), and pray to the EN gods that this feature comes back.

If you can't get by, then your EN setup isn't as efficient as you think.

Save the condescension for someone else if you don't want to get grilled. Thanks for coming out though. 

I never claimed everyone was as advanced of an EN user as I am, but I think they understand scrolling.

I'd like to add another vote for having some sort of toolbar where I can put shortcuts. I have similar issues with scrolling way down into my tag list and then trying to get to a short cut. I realize I can click into the search bar (if it's blank!) and it will show me my saves searches, but they're sorted alpha, rather than by usefulness.

I also understand the desire to have things synced the same between computers but I actually preferred to have some slight customization. At home I don't really use my work shortcuts (and vice versa).

Overall I prefer the update and will just continue to deal with it. In the meantime, it's a pain.

An idea that might be a quick fix would be letting us add categories from the left sidebar (such as: Announcements, Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags, etc) to the toolbar. Not ideal, but it would be better than what it is!

Archived