Used to have offline access to notes without PREMIUM

I used to have offline access (without internet) to my notes, without using a Premium account. Some weeks ago, you've changed the policy and I never had access to offline notes, unless with Internet on. It's really a shame. An excelent app taking advantage of its reputation to earn a lot of money (even more than the advertisment that we are always watching in the free account). Shame on you!!!!!

I used to have offline access (without internet) to my notes, without using a Premium account. Some weeks ago, you've changed the policy and I never had access to offline notes, unless with Internet on. It's really a shame. An excelent app taking advantage of its reputation to earn a lot of money (even more than the advertisment that we are always watching in the free account). Shame on you!!!!!

Evernote's policy has not changed, as evidenced by this post from October 2010:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/12981-offline-synch-should-not-be-a-premium-feature/?p=62104

Instead, per Dave,

"The caching of notes for a free account is sort of like how your web browser caches web pages that you view...it can make the general experience faster, and maybe allow you to view some stuff without making any network connections, but isn't a 100% guarantee of offline availability."

Furthermore, I have no idea why you are opposed to "an excel[l]ent app" trying to make money.  As Dave said in the post I linked to above, they also have rent to pay, food to buy, etc just like I would guess you do.  Do you work for free?

I didn't say that I was opposed ... to make money. I said a lot of money. It's your app, you can do whatever you want. But, in fact, if you start loosing advertisment free users you will start to lose also money. This should be an equilibrium. Most of the apps I know ask money to take out advertisment and includes some "not so" important features. But offline access should be basic. They are my notes, written in my equipments.

I didn't say that I was opposed ... to make money. I said a lot of money. It's your app, you can do whatever you want. But, in fact, if you start loosing advertisment free users you will start to lose also money. This should be an equilibrium. Most of the apps I know ask money to take out advertisment and includes some "not so" important features. But offline access should be basic. They are my notes, written in my equipments.

It's not my app.  Please read my sig. 

They are your notes stored on THEIR server.  The images are OCR'd on THEIR equipment with THEIR software.  The notes are indexed with THEIR stuff on THEIR equipment.  If you want to store your notes on YOUR equipment, there's a really easy fix for that - use an app that does that.

Hi ktulu3388,

There was an announcement somewhere, been searching for  it, but I'm on Andoid with the Free version.  You may have had to have turned it on and may have changed the setting.  Under Settings > General Settings > Search and Storage > turn on "Offline Search".   I was using it last night when internet was down from at least 3:30AM and did not discover my internet up again until 9AM, when the Android started receiving messages with corresponding beeping.   Everything I had on Evernote was available on my Android.  I remember when I discovered it, that it was aggressively pulling in notes, but after several days there were still a few that had not been pulled in.  I expect they were all there today (until I cleared cache, see below).  But don't know where I saw when they were being pulled in or which ones had not been pulled in -- maybe just manually checking to older notes to see if they were available or got a need to be online indication.

There's an option to "Clear Cache" in the Evernote settings, don't touch it, it acts directly and is not pointing to another options page.  Clearing cache there seems to have destroyed copies so feature is tied to cache.

Couldn't find announcement but did find one of my own notes in Evernote:

Evernote:  Offline usage was added 2013-05-11 after software update, you will need to hunt up your password, after which it can be saved like always.  Just discovered off-line usage was all there on Android, didn't realize it was part of the update.  So almost all of my notes are available off-line anytime on my Android.  Don't know how it determines that a couple of older notes would not be available and they may be available now for all I know. 

Most of my notes can be viewed offline but don't have much of an idea of whether any  specific note would be seen offline or not.        

Usage reminder:  speech input is not available offline.  Would like speech to not terminate until I tell it to.  
  • 2 months later...

I get the impression through experimentation that if one syncs Evernote while on-line and then accesses one by one the individual folders and files, they will subsequently be available off-line on your Android tablet. Similarly if you copy a .pdf file directly into Evernote on your computer, and they are not .pdf.lnk files, syncing Evernote and then viewing the pdf will allow you to subsequently read the pdfs off-line. If you don't access them while on-line first, you will not be able to read them off-line. Still experimenting........

• Level 5*

I get the impression through experimentation that if one syncs Evernote while on-line and then accesses one by one the individual folders and files, they will subsequently be available off-line on your Android tablet. Similarly if you copy a .pdf file directly into Evernote on your computer, and they are not .pdf.lnk files, syncing Evernote and then viewing the pdf will allow you to subsequently read the pdfs off-line. If you don't access them while on-line first, you will not be able to read them off-line. Still experimenting........

The point here is this: for premium users, that is guaranteed for notes in offline notebooks (subject to storage space limitations, I believe). For non-premium users, and for normal non-offline notebooks, there is no such guarantee, and the cached notes may disappear. So you can pay a little to be a premium user, if you need offline note access, or you can roll the dice...
 I am an educator engaged in the field training of Earth Science and Geography students (in the hundreds!) in GIS as applied to resource exploration.  Normally I would use a small laptop (e.g. Asus Eee - a very solid little machine - or in very recent times a Haswell i5 ultrabook)  linked to a 11 -hour bluetooth tracking GPS device. The laptop runs Google Earth (with cached tile images when in the wilderness) and the GPS-GE linking software 'Goops' to generate waypoint data sets, with outcrop and sample descriptions, photographs, etc, saved as  kml files. Published raster image geological maps can be overlayed and registered in GE, and recorded also as kml files. The map drawing software used is ArcGIS ($$$$) or QuantumGIS ($0).  As a peripheral text-based database I would use AskSam, which is very reliable, fast, and convenient to use in a non-Cloud environment.

For reasons of cost and convenience, I have recently been looking into the use of a Nexus 7 2nd gen (which can be unlocked and rooted to mount a USB key if need be) as a mapping tool. The $220-286 Nexus has a built-in GPS and coupled with the $3 app 'MapTrack' can create tracks and waypoints that can be viewed in Google Earth and saved as kml files. Raster map images cannot be georegistered and overlayed in Android Google Earth, but if the maps are delaminated first as a set of vector kml images, they can be.  

In terms of the use of hyperlinks, Evernote seems a nice Android substitute for Askam.  From my point of view however, the use of the Cloud for storage and synchronisation is not a priority, whereas off-line use of Evernote would be.  I think I could persuade a student to pay $10 for that privilege alone; it would certainly be a bargain compared to AskSam. Furthermore, while $45 for a yearly license may indeed be only the price of a couple of coffees; for a student however it represents yet one more cup of coffee he/she can't really afford in terms of today's skyrocketing tuition costs. And surely for Evernote, getting them to sip at the trough before they become full-blown premium professionals with big pockets would seem to be a potentially profitable endeavour. Just saying....! 

For myself, I wouldn't put anything in Evernote that is not backed up elsewhere in Windows; rolling the dice is therefore not a big risk at my present level of evaluation of what works!  Nevertheless, I would certainly be willing to pay for a non-cloud version of Evernote if it were available. I am not a big fan of freebies even those dressed as come-ons!

I am an educator engaged in the field training of Earth Science and Geography students (in the hundreds!) in GIS as applied to resource exploration.  Normally I would use a small laptop (e.g. Asus Eee - a very solid little machine - or in very recent times a Haswell i5 ultrabook)  linked to a 11 -hour bluetooth tracking GPS device. The laptop runs Google Earth (with cached tile images when in the wilderness) and the GPS-GE linking software 'Goops' to generate waypoint data sets, with outcrop and sample descriptions, photographs, etc, saved as  kml files. Published raster image geological maps can be overlayed and registered in GE, and recorded also as kml files. The map drawing software used is ArcGIS ($$$$) or QuantumGIS ($0).  As a peripheral text-based database I would use AskSam, which is very reliable, fast, and convenient to use in a non-Cloud environment.

For reasons of cost and convenience, I have recently been looking into the use of a Nexus 7 2nd gen (which can be unlocked and rooted to mount a USB key if need be) as a mapping tool. The $220-286 Nexus has a built-in GPS and coupled with the $3 app 'MapTrack' can create tracks and waypoints that can be viewed in Google Earth and saved as kml files. Raster map images cannot be georegistered and overlayed in Android Google Earth, but if the maps are delaminated first as a set of vector kml images, they can be.  

In terms of the use of hyperlinks, Evernote seems a nice Android substitute for Askam.  From my point of view however, the use of the Cloud for storage and synchronisation is not a priority, whereas off-line use of Evernote would be.  I think I could persuade a student to pay $10 for that privilege alone; it would certainly be a bargain compared to AskSam. Furthermore, while $45 for a yearly license may indeed be only the price of a couple of coffees; for a student however it represents yet one more cup of coffee he/she can't really afford in terms of today's skyrocketing tuition costs. And surely for Evernote, getting them to sip at the trough before they become full-blown premium professionals with big pockets would seem to be a potentially profitable endeavour. Just saying....! 

For myself, I wouldn't put anything in Evernote that is not backed up elsewhere in Windows; rolling the dice is therefore not a big risk at my present level of evaluation of what works!  Nevertheless, I would certainly be willing to pay for a non-cloud version of Evernote if it were available. I am not a big fan of freebies even those dressed as come-ons!

You do not buy an Evernote license.  Evernote is free to use.  The Mac & Windows clients can be used without an internet connection, since they keep a database on the computer.  A premium account uses the same apps free accounts use.  When it comes to apps you rely upon & use a lot, $45/year for a premium account (for the premium features) is a pittance.  We all have financial concerns, not just students.  Even the folks who work at Evernote have rent/mortgages to pay, kids who need school clothes & supplies, etc.

We try to offer a very rich set of functionality for Free users, which you can use for years without paying us a nickel. But we are a business with employees who like to eat food and pay rent, so we must choose some set of features and capabilities that are reserved for paying customers to encourage some people (approximately 5% of all active users) to cover the cost of writing the software and running the servers.

Adding full offline synchronization to low-powered mobile phones takes many months of engineering to build and tune, so we've put that into the "pay" bucket instead of other options (e.g. charge everyone for the Android client).

Another quote from Dave (CTO of Evernote):

"Thanks for the feedback. A lot of companies deliver broken "free" versions of their applications that include short trial periods or things like watermarks on every printed page, nagging pop-ups every time you launch the application, etc.

We've chosen to make a service that can be used for many years without paying anything.

However, we are a business (not a UN-backed nonprofit), and our employees like to eat and pay rent and whatnot. So we do need to pick some set of more advanced capabilities that you get if you actually do pay us a relatively small amount of money. We've tried to choose a set of features that most people can live without, and that tend to cost us more than other features.

So Premium users can upload more data (which costs us more bandwidth and storage), they get faster and more direct tech support (which costs us in labor), and they can access their data offline on an iPhone or Android phone (which costs us many engineer-months of effort to add to the clients).

These Premium features are designed to balance our costs by giving you a gentle reminder to consider paying us for our work.

Thanks "

I only have only good wishes  for Evernote and all those other companies whose apps have so enormously changed the environment of GIS-based mapping. In this respect - and with all due respect - I appreciate that we all need to make a living wage, but that pleading poverty is NOT a good business model.  'MapTracker' has recently accomodated a suggestion that now allows close integration of tracking data with offline Google Earth usage - and for this brilliant innovation they charge $3!!!   Students who have a negative income - they borrow to live and learn - will pay this. With a better business model Evernote could possibly enlist every potential and professional GIS person on the planet!  But you do what you have to do......!  Best wishes!

• Level 5*

Look, nodody's "pleading poverty". And GIS users are a small corner in the overall marketplace (I work in the field, myself, though as a developer). The free version is really free, and it is actually useful in many scenarios -- I use it here at work, every day. It just doesn't have all of the features that the premium version does. C'est la vie -- there needs to be some incentive for people to upgrade to the paying version.

But you're actually talking about students -- in the grand scheme, $45/year (or whatever) is small potatoes compared to the cost of college education. So here's a lesson for your students: if a product or service is useful to you, then you should consider paying for it; if it costs more than you are prepared to pay, or more than it seems worth, then you should probably find another product that suits your needs/budget.

I think that Evernote's business model pretty much speaks for itself. They've been successful, and they're really just starting.

I only have only good wishes  for Evernote and all those other companies whose apps have so enormously changed the environment of GIS-based mapping. In this respect - and with all due respect - I appreciate that we all need to make a living wage, but that pleading poverty is NOT a good business model.  'MapTracker' has recently accomodated a suggestion that now allows close integration of tracking data with offline Google Earth usage - and for this brilliant innovation they charge $3!!!   Students who have a negative income - they borrow to live and learn - will pay this. With a better business model Evernote could possibly enlist every potential and professional GIS person on the planet!  But you do what you have to do......!  Best wishes!

"Pleading poverty?"  Seriously?  How is Dave's post (wanting to get paid for work well done & useful) considered "pleading poverty" any more than your post, supposedly on behalf of students? 

"Look, nobody's "pleading poverty"" - please read the entire thread!

"GIS users are a small corner in the overall marketplace" - so?

"The free version is really free" - until you want to use it offline! I wish is wasn't free!

"C'est la vie -- there needs to be some incentive for people to upgrade to the paying version." - Evidement! On veux payer pour ce qu'on a besoin! 

"So here's a lesson for your students: ....."  - they are indeed willing to pay but not according to Evernote's business model.

"if it costs more than you are prepared to pay, or more than it seems worth" -  c'est la vie pour tout le monde! No skin off my nose!

1) We all have financial concerns, not just students.  Even the folks who work at Evernote have rent/mortgages to pay, kids who need school clothes & supplies, etc.

2) we are a business (not a UN-backed nonprofit), and our employees like to eat and pay rent and whatnot. 

Yes of course, we all would like to optimize our earning power - but there are optimizations and optimizations, some better than others! If Evernote does not want to accomodate in its business model some segment of a highly variable population of potential Evernote users, then so be it! No skin off my nose!

"Look, nobody's "pleading poverty"" - please read the entire thread!

"GIS users are a small corner in the overall marketplace" - so?

"The free version is really free" - until you want to use it offline! I wish is wasn't free!

"C'est la vie -- there needs to be some incentive for people to upgrade to the paying version." - Evidement! On veux payer pour ce qu'on a besoin! 

"So here's a lesson for your students: ....."  - they are indeed willing to pay but not according to Evernote's business model.

"if it costs more than you are prepared to pay, or more than it seems worth" -  c'est la vie pour tout le monde! No skin off my nose!

Ah...you don't mind that EN wants some users to pay for certain features just as long as it's not you. Now you're just looking like someone wanting something for nothing. 

As my father used to say...whenever there's someone getting something for nothing, there is someone getting nothing for something. 

No skin off my nose.

"you don't mind that EN wants some users to pay for certain features just as long as it's not you" - to the contrary I would like to pay for certain features! As per MapTracker for example.

"Now you're just looking like someone wanting something for nothing. " -  to the contrary. Kind regards!

• Level 5*

The bottom line: if you make the product, you get to set the price. The market will react accordingly. This particular side-topic doesn't seem to really be going anywhere, so I'll bow out now. I wish you good luck in your search for a product that works for you.

• 9 months later...

Hi - Im a new user and this reply isn't really in the right place, but I don't have time to figure out where best to ask my question. I am looking at evernote as a possibility for my whole school to, amongst other things, share student work with parents. I set up a trial notebook for one student in my account to see what I could do with it. Tried to drag a photo over but it said that I would need to upgrade. I am guessing that I would either need to resize photos, or attach them in another format? Or, if I upgraded would I be able to drag as many photos over for each of my 18 students? 

I am basically looking at a variety of platforms and samples to show management at school, so need to present a well-informed example that presented truly what evernote can do (including cost, suitability for 20 teachers in a Primary school each with 18 children in a class. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi PennyP, welcome to the forums. ☺

I'm not sure if you've noticed since posting this, but there is a board (section of) on the forum devoted to education, called "Evernote for Schools." I've posted a link to it below. It has many threads discussing tools for students and teacher from K-12 and post-secondary education.

Evernote for Schools link:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/90-evernote-for-schools/

Christopher Mayo (a.k.a. Grumpy Monkey here on the Forum) is an Evernote power user. He has several detailed articles posted on his own website regarding the many uses of Evernote, including several highlighting handy tips for students & teachers. I highly recommend looking at them. I am neither tech oriented or a power user and use this program only for personal data, but I still find his tips & tutorials extremely helpful!

• 6 months later...

Archived