(Archived) Evernote for desktop does not sync

essnote

I am in the process of migrating to a new windows 8 PC.  Last night I installed Evernote for desktop (ie not the touch version).  My notes number a little over 900 and including attachments I think the size is about 400mb. 

For some reason the "client database" is excruciating slow to sync.  It literally downloads about one note every few minutes.  I gave up last night but today I have been at this for about 12hrs and yet have only downloaded about 300 notes.  it either proceeds at a snails pace (and this is being kind to snails...) or just drops the connection with EN entirely.

The support desk tells me they have no idea what the problem is.  They aren't even able to tell me when they can back to me......

It is not a connection problem on my end as I was able to download 65gb overnight from dropbox without a problem. All my other connections to servers, VPN's, streaming data are working fine.  And yes, I disconnected everything before trying again to sync with EN servers.

I saw that there was a discussion here a while ago with a similar issue on the Touch version.  Hoping that someone can help with the Desktop version.

Thanks.

I should also mention that 50%+ of my notes have attachments -mainly images.  Not that that should make a difference as the 900+ notes total around 400mb in total incl. the attachments.  Just thought I would mention that oddity in case it is of relevance.

Almost 36 hours after starting this process, I've downloaded 900 files.  About 20 to go.....   Customer support so far has been of no help whatsoever.  First guy I spoke to yesterday was polite and helpful but was unable to help beyond asking for a copy of my log file and then passing it to someone else.  That someone else asked for an updated log file to be sent.  And then came back with the suggestion that I install a "pre-release" version of EN.  As far as I can tell that "pre-release" version (Evernote_4.6.6.8360.exe) is the same version that I downloaded from the EN website previously.

Anyway, in case this is helpful to anyone in the future, I will update with more information later.  Again, if anyone has ANY thoughts on how to solve this I will be eternally grateful.

support person replied with a "sorry about that".  Turns out that the link he sent had not been updated....... more time wasted....

Speaking of wasted time, the local database has finally updated.  But given the runaround that EN support was giving me and their lack of meaningful solutions I suspected that the snails pace sync would finish before a solution was found.  Perhaps it is lack of sleep that makes me think that that was the support MO....hope not.

Anyway, I have asked EN support to explain why it took so long.

ALSO, what is the correct method to migrate to a new PC?  Surely it cannot be to re-download (sync) everything from the server.  Is there a way to export the *.enex file from the old pc, then import to the new PC and have the sync process recognize that the client and remote databases match.  I tried that initially yesterday, but the sync process began downloading duplicate notes from the EN server.  Any ideas as I'm due to get a new macbook at the end of the month and I would hate to have to go through this again.  

Thanks for any and all ideas.

support person replied with a "sorry about that".  Turns out that the link he sent had not been updated....... more time wasted....

Speaking of wasted time, the local database has finally updated.  But given the runaround that EN support was giving me and their lack of meaningful solutions I suspected that the snails pace sync would finish before a solution was found.  Perhaps it is lack of sleep that makes me think that that was the support MO....hope not.

Anyway, I have asked EN support to explain why it took so long.

ALSO, what is the correct method to migrate to a new PC?  Surely it cannot be to re-download (sync) everything from the server.  Is there a way to export the *.enex file from the old pc, then import to the new PC and have the sync process recognize that the client and remote databases match.  I tried that initially yesterday, but the sync process began downloading duplicate notes from the EN server.  Any ideas as I'm due to get a new macbook at the end of the month and I would hate to have to go through this again.  

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Essentially, what you are doing is a restore of your data, but you're restoring to a different computer.  Although rebuilding the database by downloading everything from the EN servers will work, if you have a large database and/or local (non-sync'd) notebooks, the preferred method of restoring from a backup is to simply copy your exb file from one computer to the other.  A lot of discussion on the topic (including what I just posted here) can be found by searching the board on backup and/or restore.  IE:http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/27184-importrestore-old-exb-file-after-hard-drive-crash/ 

Disclaimer:  this works with the standard Windows client.  IDK if the exb file for Windows client is compatible with the Windows 8 client.  But I'd think it would have to or else there would be a migration process from the old exb file, since many people have local notebooks.  I distinctly remember when there have been modifications to the Windows database in the past (IE 2 to 3.1 & 3x. to 4) that the installation/upgrade of the app included a process that migrated data from the old database on the user's computer.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem on a new Windows 8 laptop. Had I not recently had to install on a Windows 8 PC that had to be refreshed I would have jumped at doing what BurgersNFries just said. It is a rather large database that did its complete sync in about 10 min.

That being said this PC had previously been upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro, and several months later (just in the last 2 weeks) had to Refesh the PC and reinstall Evernote.

My laptop will not get past 46% and I literally worked on this an ENTIRE day!

Is there something with different versions of Windows 8? My laptop is not Pro, but 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have ALL of my work notes in Evernote and would be a pain if I could not get this working soon on my work laptop.

However I do have multiple other devices I can use, which is a godsend!

Windows 8 Dilemma RESOLVED 

Well after fighting with this over and over and copying over exb file as suggested by BurgersNFries I finally just broke down and upgraded to Window 8 PRO. and Viola! THE SYNC TOOK ONLY SECONDS!

There is a major problem with Standard Windows 8 64bit!

Archived