(Archived) A couple of quirks when emailing notes in

Hi, I found a couple of issues when emailing notes into evernote.

1. If I want to put in a tag in the subject, the tag will only get recognized if there is already a note with that tag in the notebook I am sending the note to.  So, one can't create a new tag with an email.

2.  If I put a link to another Evernote note in the email that I send into Evernote, the link functionality will be lost.  The text will still appear with the same formatting (i.e. green), but you can't click on it.

Any thoughts?

1. That's how tagging via email works -- it doesn't have the ability to create tags from scratch. It will only recognize existing tags.

2. Interesting. I haven't tried using a note link in an emailed note, so this might be something you should ask CS about. 

Hope this helps!

Hi, I found a couple of issues when emailing notes into evernote.

1. If I want to put in a tag in the subject, the tag will only get recognized if there is already a note with that tag in the notebook I am sending the note to.  So, one can't create a new tag with an email.

2.  If I put a link to another Evernote note in the email that I send into Evernote, the link functionality will be lost.  The text will still appear with the same formatting (i.e. green), but you can't click on it.

Any thoughts?

First, there is a difference between linking to a note & sharing it via URL.  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39075-link-from-one-note-to-another/?p=211549

Second, since note links only work when you're logged into an account that can access that note (IE you must be logged into the account that is the owner of the note or else the note resides in a notebook shared to the account you're logged into).  So, if you're already in the account (and therefore able to get the note link), why email the link?  Just paste the link into the note you're working on.

First, there is a difference between linking to a note & sharing it via URL.  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39075-link-from-one-note-to-another/?p=211549

Second, since note links only work when you're logged into an account that can access that note (IE you must be logged into the account that is the owner of the note or else the note resides in a notebook shared to the account you're logged into).  So, if you're already in the account (and therefore able to get the note link), why email the link?  Just paste the link into the note you're working on.

Yep, I know there is a difference, thx.

The workflow we have at the moment is that a number of people put notes into the system in the morning.   Someone picks out only the most relevant/actionable ones and sends them out to the organization in an email.  This email has a summary of the content as well as links to the actual notes.  This email is also sent to EN so that it can be accessed in the future easily from the system.  However, the note that gets generated in EN when it is emailed in has links. that don't work

We can certainly change our workflow so that it works:

- create a new summary note in EN with the links

- copy and paste the contents into an email to send out to the organization

I am just simply pointing it out because it seems like a bug that can easily be fixed.

P.S. Sparrow: understood on the tagging, thanks for the color

Archived