(Archived) Security Features Mooted By Using Apps?

To use several apps, I have to authorize them by giving them permission to "Retrieve Notes." As far as I understand, this means giving a third company access to the content of all of my notes, including attachments like audio. So if I use an app like that (e.g., IFTTT), then all of Evernote's security features are totally mooted, right? The third company essentially can access my entire Evernote account (minus certain things like my payment information). Very frustrating. Is there any way to use apps without giving third party companies access to all of my notes' content? It's absurd that they claim to need it.

• Level 5*

To use several apps, I have to authorize them by giving them permission to "Retrieve Notes." As far as I understand, this means giving a third company access to the content of all of my notes, including attachments like audio. So if I use an app like that (e.g., IFTTT), then all of Evernote's security features are totally mooted, right? The third company essentially can access my entire Evernote account (minus certain things like my payment information). Very frustrating. Is there any way to use apps without giving third party companies access to all of my notes' content? It's absurd that they claim to need it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I agree that the extensive permissions are disconcerting, especially considering how often data gets hacked these days. I'd hate to think that anything is on a third party's server. There are some apps that require less access.

Workarounds include not using third party apps, having a private / public account, keeping private data in local notebooks, and encrypting sensitive data.

I hope that in the future we'll get encrypted notebooks and/or the ability to put up a "firewall" and limit third party developer access.

Thank you very much for the prompt response!!

Follow-up: What do you mean by "private / public account" and "keeping private data in local networks"? You mentioned these as workarounds but I'm too much of a newbie to know what you mean. I do know about encryption already, thanks.

Please count me as a vote for developing encrypted notebooks, firewalls, etc.! And if there's some way to incentivize third party app developers not to request such extensive access, that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Mike

• Level 5*

Thank you very much for the prompt response!!

Follow-up: What do you mean by "private / public account" and "keeping private data in local networks"? You mentioned these as workarounds but I'm too much of a newbie to know what you mean. I do know about encryption already, thanks.

Please count me as a vote for developing encrypted notebooks, firewalls, etc.! And if there's some way to incentivize third party app developers not to request such extensive access, that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Mike

Hi. One account contains primarily data that I don't want to have on the cloud and the other one contains data that is OK to go on the cloud (meaning that if someone hacked into the account or saw the data it would not cause me to lose too much sleep). I consider these to be my private and public accounts. I don't mind giving access to my public account. Of course, I would prefer it if they respected my privacy and did everything in their power to make sure the data in my "public" account was not actually made public, but most of the time we'll never know if they kept up their end of the bargain.

Local notebooks are not synced to Evernote's servers. You can create them on the desktop clients (Mac and Windows). My private account mainly consists of notes in a local notebook. Here are my thoughts on privacy and security.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

• Level 5
One account contains primarily data that I don't want to have on the cloud and the other one contains data that is OK to go on the cloud

Can you access either version with a local Evernote Windows or Mac client? I am totally adverse to the Web version.

In other words, log off one version and then log on to the 2nd one using the same computer.

Are both versions Premium?

• Level 5*

One account contains primarily data that I don't want to have on the cloud and the other one contains data that is OK to go on the cloud

Can you access either version with a local Evernote Windows or Mac client? I am totally adverse to the Web version.

In other words, log off one version and then log on to the 2nd one using the same computer.

Are both versions Premium?

Yes and no. I don't spend as much time in the public account. If I want to put something in there, I usually just put it in a shared notebook. If you have Premium, you can add one Free account to your computer and easily switch between them.

• Level 5
 If you have Premium, you can add one Free account to your computer and easily switch between them.

Thanks. Sounds like a good way to prevent 3rd party programs from accessing my private info.

I could not find anything in the Knowledgebase on dual accounts with one Premium.

1.) Does Evernote support dual accounts?

2.) Do I just install Evernote a 2nd time on the same computer?  (with a different user name)

My annual Premium subscription cancellation goes into effect  on July 25. If I can split my 25,000 notes into smaller accounts, I might stop the cancellation.

• Level 5*

If you have Premium, you can add one Free account to your computer and easily switch between them.

Thanks. Sounds like a good way to prevent 3rd party programs from accessing my private info.

I could not find anything in the Knowledgebase on dual accounts with one Premium.

1.) Does Evernote support dual accounts?

2.) Do I just install Evernote a 2nd time on the same computer?  (with a different user name)

My annual Premium subscription cancellation goes into effect  on July 25. If I can split my 25,000 notes into smaller accounts, I might stop the cancellation.

I've noted the dual account possibility on my post about Evernote limits http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169 , but that is just what I have experienced, and I don't know if Evernote explicitly says it anywhere about adding an account to your existing app. In Windows, go to File > Add Another User...

There is no need to install anything. It should work fine without any hassle. Sharing notebooks is a convenient way to deal with the hassle of having two accounts. Make sure to share from your Premium account so that you have more control over making modifications.

• Level 5
In Windows, go to File > Add Another User...

There is no need to install anything. It should work fine without any hassle. Sharing notebooks is a convenient way to deal with the hassle of having two accounts. Make sure to share from your Premium account so that you have more control over making modifications.

My annual Premium subscription is still valid (for just 10 more days)

I tried your instructions involving no installation but it did not work fine.

Here are screen captures.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/438bfea7-ee90-4d87-88b9-1ef692f62290/f77c196b635bb73464abf69bd83ea866

In Windows, go to File > Add Another User...

My annual Premium subscription is still valid (for just 10 more days)

I tried your instructions involving no installation but it did not work fine.

Here are screen captures.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/438bfea7-ee90-4d87-88b9-1ef692f62290/f77c196b635bb73464abf69bd83ea866

It works if you use the right login/user name. I've been using this regularly to switch between two accounts.  The account must already be set up.

• Level 5

It works if you use the right login/user name. I've been using this regularly to switch between two accounts.  The account must already be set up.

Thanks, I tried my login/user name and it just opened the same database again.

GrumpyMonkey said I don't have to install anything.

I am stumped on how to create a 2nd account without installing.

You can do it either on the web or by logging out of the EN Windows app & reinvoking (I'm pretty sure.) Easiest way is to just do it on the web. Once you have the second account created, you can switch between them using GM's instructions.

• Level 5
You can do it either on the web or by logging out of the EN Windows app & reinvoking (I'm pretty sure.) Easiest way is to just do it on the web. Once you have the second account created, you can switch between them using GM's instructions.

Thanks for the additional information.

I tried the web and got the same error code that has been reported in other forum messages.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/5769f8de-4baf-40b5-950c-4f67776b5f85/9c2c83968812f3567868a830ea2155a1

I will give the installation process a try.

Why are you logging in with your existing account? You want to be totally logged out so  you can create a new, second account.  You want to get to a screen where you can create a new account. On the Windows client, it's file/sign out.  It will then take you to a screen where you can create a new account (see attached screen cap.)  You will need to use an email address that is different from the one on your current account.

post-48228-0-43318700-1373912322_thumb.j

post-48228-0-23110300-1373913385_thumb.j

• Level 5
Why are you logging in with your existing account?

Just following GrumpyMonkey's suggestion.

Thanks again for the screen captures. It makes sense.

I decided to hold off until I hear something official from Evernote. Ticket 84370

Do they officially support Premium users who maintain two Evernote accounts on the same computer.

Don't want to get in a similar situation like when they advised they don't support Evernote users who use TrueCrypt to protect their database. Better to be safe with an official statement from Evernote before jumping in to the 2nd account pond.

• Level 5*

Why are you logging in with your existing account?

Just following GrumpyMonkey's suggestion.

Thanks again for the screen captures. It makes sense.

I decided to hold off until I hear something official from Evernote. Ticket 84370

Do they officially support Premium users who maintain two Evernote accounts on the same computer.

Don't want to get in a similar situation like when they advised they don't support Evernote users who use TrueCrypt to protect their database. Better to be safe with an official statement from Evernote before jumping in to the 2nd account pond.

Of course they do! That is why they included support for multiple "users" on the same computer. My directions assumed you had already created a new account. You'll need an additional email address for your new "user." Go to Gmail and make one. The entire process shouldn't take more than five minutes.

By the way, Heather advised us last year to create a new account when we get to 100,000 notes, so I get the sense that the service currently expects us to maintain multiple accounts. It's kind of like the FDIC, right? You used to be insured up to 100,000 dollars, but after that you had to make a new account (they raised the limit). In practical usage, I'd say (from what I have experienced and heard) you'll probably want to look at making a new account around 50,000 notes because you'll run into significant lag in the app long before you reach 100,000.

Archived