(Archived) Can't access my evernote via mac osx10.6.8

suzie-c

Idea

I'm panicking! When I try to go to my evernote on my mac I get the white no entry symbol and a message "you can't open the application evernote because it may be damaged or incomplete"

I've got like 3 years of information on there! I can read my notes via the evernote website. If I uninstall and then reinstall, will I lose all my history?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm panicking! When I try to go to my evernote on my mac I get the white no entry symbol and a message "you can't open the application evernote because it may be damaged or incomplete"

I've got like 3 years of information on there! I can read my notes via the evernote website. If I uninstall and then reinstall, will I lose all my history?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your problem. I think the safest course of action is to contact customer support. However, they are probably not going to get back to you until Monday.

If all of your notes are synced (not in a local notebook, for example), then you should be able to delete Evernote from your device and re-install it. DO NOT DELETE YOUR NOTES FROM WITHIN THE APP! If you do, that will sync to the Evernote servers and you will lose your data. Instead, delete the app itself. Here are directions:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Before doing that, though, I'd recommend a backup. There are two ways of doing this. First, you can plug in an external drive and use Time Machine. I highly recommend this method, because it will give you versions of your files, it backs up automatically, and you can even encrypt the external drive. It is pretty powerful.

The second method is to install Evernote on another computer and let it sync all of your data there. Once you have it on that computer, then you can be sure that all of your files are safe.

Going forward, I'd strongly recommend backing up your stuff.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

• Level 5*

Thank you! I already have my phone and my tablet sync'd, so I'll be good to uninstall?

Hi Suzie. No. The phone and tablet (unless you have everything downloaded into offline notebooks) do not have your data on it. My recommendation would be to use a desktop, which can download all of the data.

Archived