Can't create note links in EN iOS clients

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

That's really unfortunate.  It will really reduce my use of EN iOS/iPad for creating/editing Notes -- back to my good ole MacBook Air.  :-)

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

That's really unfortunate.  It will really reduce my use of EN iOS/iPad for creating/editing Notes -- back to my good ole MacBook Air.  :-)

As you know, I used to work primarily on the iPad, but I have been unable to get Evernote to work with my account for some time now (we are still trying to figure out why this is the case -- the problem appears to be limited to me), so I spend a lot more time with the MBA these days. With the new Macbook Air, which has a lot more battery life than it used to, I am doing fine. I must admit that I miss working on the iPad, especially since the iPad client is many times better than it was this time last year.

Alas! Even with all of the improvements, there is still no note linking on the iPad app. The good news is that we have a pretty simple and relatively painless workaround. Make note links to all of your notes on the Mac (create note in new window > select all notes in center pane with CMD + a > drag all selected notes into the new note and links will appear). You can copy/paste these as you like on the iPad. You can even change the names when you do it, and the link ought to still work. For new notes, create a hundred or so, tag them "new," make the links (just as we did above), and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

If you are determined to have note links in iOS, then the easiest way is to go to All Notes on the desktop, select everything (CMD + a on the Mac), and create a table of contents. You can copy/paste the note links from here into your new notes in iOS. Obviously, if you want to link newly created notes, then you need to create a bunch of dummy notes ahead of time with the links. You can change the wording of the link and it will still work.

• 2 weeks later...

I automated the process of converting external note link to internal note link with Drafts and Pythonista

Here's an example of how it works:

All I have to do is:

Copy Note link in Evernote

Paste it in Drafts and select my custom action

The note link is automatically converted and copied to clipboard

Here's how to set it up

You will need Drafts and Pythonista apps.

In Drafts you will need to create this custom URL Action:

pythonista://internal%20evernote%20note%20link?action=run&argv=[[draft]]

In Pythonista you will need to create this script and name it as “internal evernote note link”:

import clipboard

import sys

import webbrowser

import console

import urllib

mytext = (sys.argv[1])

head, sep, tail = mytext.rpartition('/')

parttwo = head.replace('https://www.evernote.com/shard/s45/sh/' '')

evernoteurl = ('evernote:///view/4444444/s45/' + parttwo + '/' + parttwo + '/')

webbrowser.open('drafts://x-callback-url/create?text=' + evernoteurl + '&action=Copy%20to%20Clipboard')

Check how your own evernote note links look and tweak the script accordingly

You will need to replace

“shard/s45/sh"

with whatever is in your own external link that evernote generates, “s45” might be different for you.

And in

“evernote:///view/4444444/s45/”

Replace “4444444/s45/” with whatever is in your own internal note link (create one on the desktop and check if needed)

I streamlined the process of copying local note link even more. I don't even need to switch to Drafts, I can convert external note link to local note link right from Evernote app. This requires a jailbreak though.

Here's an example:

Pretty cool, huh?

• Level 5

@May if you're using Drafts and Pythonista I wonder why you're not using Editorial (from the same guy as Pythonista) instead of Drafts. It has Python built in. I'm actually ASKING rather than SELLING :-) as I've just started using Editorial and wonder about its suitability for your use case.

• Level 5

@May My assumption is that the lessons of doing Pythonista have been carried over to Editorial.

It seems to me that emailing a note created in Editorial to Evernote should be a quite straightforward script to write. So the fact he doesn't support Evernote shouldn't be a problem. That might be my first real script. If it doesn't look too ugly I might publish it on my blog.

(Another one would be mimicking some of MultiMarkDown as Editorial doesn't support it.)

But I digress. :-)

• Level 5

@May it's https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker but don't be too put off by the title "Mainframe Performance Topics". I'm of the opinion it should be called "Mainframe, Performance, Topics". :-)

I tweeted twice about the ease of automating Editorial yesterday - once with its automation building blocks and once with Python. Am about to see how easy it is to set up automation to create a note in Evernote with Markdown as input.

• 1 month later...

I automated the process of converting external note link to internal note link with Drafts and Pythonista

All I have to do is:

Here's how to set it up

In Pythonista you will need to create this script and name it as “internal evernote note link”:

import clipboard

import sys

import webbrowser

import console

import urllib

mytext = (sys.argv[1])

webbrowser.open('drafts://x-callback-url/create?text=' + evernoteurl + '&action=Copy%20to%20Clipboard')

You will need to replace

“shard/s45/sh"

with whatever is in your own external link that evernote generates, “s45” might be different for you.

And in

Replace “4444444/s45/” with whatever is in your own internal note link (create one on the desktop and check if needed)

All I have to do is:

Here's how to set it up

import clipboard

import sys

import webbrowser

import console

import urllib

mytext = (sys.argv[1])

You will need to replace

“shard/s45/sh"

And in

Thanks so much for this. I'm having one issue - I've made the changes as specified to customize it with my Evernote details but I keep getting an error in pythonista saying Error: replace() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given).

How do I fix this?

@May Do you know why I'm getting the error from Pythonista. Is it a problem with the script or am I doing something wrong. I've made the changes as specified to customize it with my Evernote details but I keep getting an error in pythonista saying Error: replace() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given).

Anyone else been able to get it to work?

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much for this. I'm having one issue - I've made the changes as specified to customize it with my Evernote details but I keep getting an error in pythonista saying Error: replace() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given).

How do I fix this?

@May Do you know why I'm getting the error from Pythonista. Is it a problem with the script or am I doing something wrong. I've made the changes as specified to customize it with my Evernote details but I keep getting an error in pythonista saying Error: replace() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given).

Anyone else been able to get it to work?

Full working script:

import clipboardimport sysimport webbrowserimport consoleimport urllibmytext = (sys.argv[1])head, sep, tail = mytext.rpartition('/')parttwo = head.replace('https://www.evernote.com/shard/s45/sh/', '')evernoteurl = ('evernote:///view/4444444/s45/' + parttwo + '/' + parttwo + '/')webbrowser.open('drafts://x-callback-url/create?text=' + evernoteurl + '&action=Copy%20to%20Clipboard')
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I struggled with this on iOS EN for a while,  especially because I migrated to EN from MS OneNote which makes it so easy to hyperlink notes that you can do it in three clicks! Needless to nay I was usingkthe tool a LOT. But I realized it: Evernote isn't designed for that, it's designed with a tagging system that binds notes together with user-defined tags. If you tag any two notes with the same tag they are essentailly linked, because a search for that tag will give both notes. It's a different model but the results are arguably similar. 

Archived