Should I just be using Evernote if I'm concerned about disk space?

I've just download the Evernote application onto my Macbook Pro '08.  My computer's hard drive space is limited and wondered if there's a way to solely use the cloud as my storage while utilizing Evernote?

I hope to soon to organize all my notes & info stored in my email accounts and browser bookmarks.  Any advise is appreciated!

Many thanks. :)

• Level 5*

I've just download the Evernote application onto my Macbook Pro '08.  My computer's hard drive space is limited and wondered if there's a way to solely use the cloud as my storage while utilizing Evernote?

I hope to soon to organize all my notes & info stored in my email accounts and browser bookmarks.  Any advise is appreciated!

Many thanks. :)

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

My advice would be to upgrade your computer, because 2008 was a long time ago... Everything has advanced so much, I don't know how I would work on a 2008 computer nowadays.

But, even if you upgrade, storage is a problem for most Apple stuff. Unfortunately, Evernote does not provide selective sync on the desktop (it does on mobile), so you will have to figure out a way to use the Web version if you want to conserve storage space.

Alternatively, it is possible to have tens of thousands of notes in a database of only one or two gigabytes.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

• Level 5*

Hiya thanks for getting back so quickly GrumpyMonkey!

Would you know of links I can research, how to "figure out a way to use the Web Version" for Evernote storage?

Tnx again,

Ani

I'll have to think about it for a while. Something will come to mind.

As for me, I have a large number of notes (most) in one account that I do not download to my computer. It is nearly 2 gigabytes of data, but it takes up 8 gigabytes of data on my local drive, so I have to keep it in the cloud. I login to that account on the cloud when I went to see something, or from my mobile devices.

I have another account for local notes. It's on my computer, and I don't sync those notes to the cloud. Of course, if you don't mind putting the notes on the cloud, then you could do that. The point is to have one account on the cloud, and another on the computer.

In order to get a bunch of notes onto the cloud, you have to upload them through the desktop app, and then delete the database to reclaim your storage space.

Thank you again, the idea of separate local storage and cloud storage that you propose is clearer to me now.  

I do look forward to any informative links or further tips, if in the future you should come across any.  I can't buy a new Mac at the mo but I'd like to use Evernote.

Ani

• 6 months later...

Alternatively, it is possible to have tens of thousands of notes in a database of only one or two gigabytes.

I disagree. I'm currently at 1,625 (and counting) notes and I have 2.2 Gb under the 'Application Support' directory. Then I have another 3.1 in the '/Library/Containers' directory. I'm on an SSD and this is not good news.

I would love for Evernote to switch to a complete cloud based system–in regards to the desktop application–and have the option to save frequently used data onto the hard drive. The other option would be to build in a smart cache system wherein old data is wiped from the drive after a certain amount of time to make room for new data. In addition to that would be another option to create a static dedicated cache size.

Note: Directory listings are on the OS X platform.

Here is a link to a more indepth thread: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39791-evernote-database-size/

• Level 5*

I disagree. I'm currently at 1,625 (and counting) notes and I have 2.2 Gb under the 'Application Support' directory. Then I have another 3.1 in the '/Library/Containers' directory. I'm on an SSD and this is not good news.

I would love for Evernote to switch to a complete cloud based system–in regards to the desktop application–and have the option to save frequently used data onto the hard drive. The other option would be to build in a smart cache system wherein old data is wiped from the drive after a certain amount of time to make room for new data. In addition to that would be another option to create a static dedicated cache size.

Note: Directory listings are on the OS X platform.

Here is a link to a more indepth thread: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39791-evernote-database-size/

You can disagree if you want to! However, at the time I wrote that post, it was possible for me to do it.

Currently, though, my database is quite massive. I have 11,046 notes, which amount to just 1.25 GB of data outside of Evernote, but inside of the app it takes up a whopping 7.81 GB. The note content in Evernote takes up 3.28 GB and the "typeAhead.index" consumes another 3.05 GB. This is about 8% of the available space on my hard drive (100 GB or so in a 128 GB MBA). That is a lot for data that started out as just a little over 1%.

I talk about ways to reduce your footprint here.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=551

I also agree with you that selective sync would be greatly appreciated. Evernote developers know about the feature request, they agree that it is needed, and they are working on it, but it isn't ready yet.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34234-evernote-505/page-3#entry186642

With Evernote Business, we are inching closer to this.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43255-do-we-have-selective-sync-using-evernote-community/

By the way, if you have data in Application Support, the Libary/Containers folder does not contain Evernote, as far as I know, unless you have installed both a direct download and appstore version, in which case you can conserve space by deleting the unused app data. See this page for details about database locations.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

• Level 5

As another data point, I'm at 5200 notes and 3.1 GB on windows, 3.1GB on MacOS.

Biased to Manual text entered snippets. Marked up screen captures, and web clippings.

Agree with Grumpy that I wouldn't expect content in Library/Containers unless using the app store version vs direct download.

For example I was using the app store version in August for a bit and thus have orphaned content there.

• 1 year later...

I have 6.6K notes taking up about 10GB on my HD. 

How best to reduce this HD load?

I am inclined to go to web client only though this will be an inconvenience for working offline.

Its a shame Evernote had not developed selective sync yet.

If I were to set up a separate account to hold a fraction of my larger evernote database on my hard drive, but at a smaller size, how is it possible to share a single evernote note between accounts? 

Also, I I decided to go all web client and clean out my hard drive of Evernote content altogether, what is the best way to uninstall the evernote Library files without harming my cloud files?

Thanks for your advice here. 

• Level 5*

I have 6.6K notes taking up about 10GB on my HD. 

How best to reduce this HD load?

I am inclined to go to web client only though this will be an inconvenience for working offline.

Its a shame Evernote had not developed selective sync yet.

If I were to set up a separate account to hold a fraction of my larger evernote database on my hard drive, but at a smaller size, how is it possible to share a single evernote note between accounts? 

Also, I I decided to go all web client and clean out my hard drive of Evernote content altogether, what is the best way to uninstall the evernote Library files without harming my cloud files?

Thanks for your advice here. 

One way to reduce the storage required is to archive and delete large Notes/attachments that you no longer, or seldom need.

If you change the Note view to Top List, you can add a column for "Size", and sort on it in descending order.

This will show you the largest Notes at  the top of the list.

Then any Note that you no longer want in Evernote you can export to an external drive, using ENEX and/or HTML.

After you have verified the Notes have been properly exported, you can then delete them in Evernote, and empty the EN Trash.

I'm not sure if EN immediately releases the space for the permanently deleted Notes, or if it takes a while, and perhaps a sign out / sign in to EN Win.

Have you used the EN Web client much?  Although some like it, many do not like it for their main EN client.

Having said all that, if you find that 10GB is a large percent of your remaining local hard drive, then you may want to consider upgrading to a larger hard drive, or, even better, to a larger SSD.  Large HDs (>> 500GB) are very cheap, and the prices on SSDs have fallen dramatically.  Two big benefits to SSDs:  (1) Reliability and (2) Speed.  The speed increase can be very dramatic.

Thanks for these ideas!

I ended up deinstalling the desktop app and deleting the Libraries, after syncing and disconnecting from the cloud. 

I am all Web Client until I can get that new MacBook 512GB SSD. :-)

The Web Client has improved alot since I last used it about 18 months ago.

Be well. 

• Level 5*

Glad you got it worked out.  I'm sure you'll love your new Macbook.  I have both a MBP-15R and an MBA-13, with 512GB and 256GB SSDs respectively, and love them both!

Archived