(Archived) Will I have to pay the Evernote Monthly Premium Fee to Search scanned receipts?

SrClyde

Idea

Will I have to pay the Evernote Monthly Premium Fee to Search scanned receipts?  I am considering the purchase of a Snapscan scanner primarily to scan and store receipts.  I have tried searching receipt scans performed on my Epson 800X and have been unable to do so using the free version of Evernote.

Having to pay $5 per month in addition to the $250 cost of the Snapscan seems a little steep to just be able to search receipts.

Thanks for your help!

2 replies to this idea

Will I have to pay the Evernote Monthly Premium Fee to Search scanned receipts?  I am considering the purchase of a Snapscan scanner primarily to scan and store receipts.  I have tried searching receipt scans performed on my Epson 800X and have been unable to do so using the free version of Evernote.

Having to pay $5 per month in addition to the $250 cost of the Snapscan seems a little steep to just be able to search receipts.

Thanks for your help!

If you scan as jpeg, EN will OCR them for a free account.  But the image OCR'ing is less accurate than PDF OCR'ing, since it creates a tree of possibilites, since an image is strictly pixels & contains no real text. 

If you pay annually, the cost is $45/year. 

IMO, your comment about "Having to pay $5 per month in addition to the $250 cost of the Snapscan seems a little steep to just be able to search receipts." is comparable to lamenting that if you'll have to pay for insurance & gasoline if you buy a car.  You can't really search your receipts unless you scan them one way or the other, even if it's using the camera on your phone.  Or you can just scan them, not pay for premium & make your own notes about the date/vendor & price manually. 

A lesser option may (and I emphasize 'may') be something like Neatreceipts.  IIRC, when I bought it about eight years ago, it was $200 for the software and the scanner.  IMO, it's a better option for thermal receipts from gas stations, drugstores, groceries, etc.  But I pretty much use my Fujitsu & Evernote for other receipts such as work done on our a/c, cars, etc.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your help!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I scan and OCR all of my receipts and other materials. However, I actually think that Evernote's OCR is quite good.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=98

Other users do this as well, because they see benefits to doing it yourself.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38399-very-bad-ocr-quality/?p=207498

In my case, there are several specific benefits I enjoy from doing the OCR myself.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

Premium is nice to have for other reasons, and I don't think the $5 a month is too steep myself, but I can see why it might appear expensive. It all depends on how useful the features are to you.

As for scanners, I am quite satisfied with the ix500, but it might be a little too much for just receipts. In that case, there are less expensive Fujitsu scanners available. I have had good experiences with the ScanSnap line, and if your budget allows for it, I'd lean towards purchasing them.

Archived