(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.2.0

Jackolicious

Idea

68 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

GM, just one more quick off-topic comment, and then I promise no more.  :-)

First, I didn't mean that your system is ridiculous.  I accept that it works for use cases like yours.

I just meant that even with plain text, SOME day even your DB will become quite large.

Second, one of the tools/options Evernote could provide us is to restore our the EN DB on our hard drive from a local backup we have made.  The NEW EN ver could READ the data from the backup, just like it does from the EN Cloud, and then restore the local DB.  This would probably be very, very quick!  I'm talking minutes here even for a DB of 20 GB.

OK, that's it.  Now back to the originally scheduled programming . . .  :-)

I know my system is a bit extreme. As you may remember, I chose to adopt it because of things like long initial syncs, so I get where you are coming from.

Indeed, 2 GB of text (no attachments) is pretty tough for EN to handle at the moment, and searching is a problem because of the incremental search. The more data I put into it, the more difficult it will be for EN to handle it. When I had 25 GB or so of regular data (attachments, images, etc.) back in the Version 3 days, it didn't perform that much worse, even though a lot of that data was not part of the search index. It seems that the huge amount of data to index for searching is the problem at the moment. Fortunately, the developers are aware of the issue (I've raised it a lot over the last couple of years).

As for the database, I think that once you get into version 5 with a proper database, you ought to be able to just copy / paste a backup version (maybe from Time Machine) into the folder on your local drive. I believe that would work just fine. I haven't tried it, but it is my understanding that this would be a viable option to downloading everything.

Unfortunately, if my guess about going from V3 to V5 is correct, this might not help you much, because the database needs to be restructured.

• Level 5*

ISSUE:  Inline Display of Excel Files Shows Blank Worksheets

Inline display of Excel files in EN Mac 5.2.0 seems to work OK for me, EXCEPT that blank Worksheets are displayed.

This wastes LOTS of EN Note space.  If I had several Excel files, as I often do, then the actual information would be separated by these large blocks of blank WS.

I would much prefer that the EN Inline display show much like the Mac Preview display, which initially displays the first WS, with click-able Tabs to view the other WS.

Here are some example screen shots:

EN Mac 5.2.0 Inline Display of Excel

EN_5.2.0_Inline_View.jpg

Mac Preview of Excel (activated from EN Note)

Mac_Preview_Excel.jpg

• Level 5*

GM, just one more quick off-topic comment, and then I promise no more.  :-)

First, I didn't mean that your system is ridiculous.  I accept that it works for use cases like yours.

I just meant that even with plain text, SOME day even your DB will become quite large.

Second, one of the tools/options Evernote could provide us is to restore our the EN DB on our hard drive from a local backup we have made.  The NEW EN ver could READ the data from the backup, just like it does from the EN Cloud, and then restore the local DB.  This would probably be very, very quick!  I'm talking minutes here even for a DB of 20 GB.

OK, that's it.  Now back to the originally scheduled programming . . .  :-)

• Level 5*

One of the benefits of working mainly with text is that you can get away with having a small database (several tens of thousands of notes can still come in under 2 gigabytes).

Well, this is really a completely different subject, but since you brought it up ... :-)

I find that approach ridiculous and especially unworkable for the long term.  Evernote advertizes itself as being a rich-text, multi-media info capture/tracking/searching system.  They also advertize themselves as a 100-year company, and suggest that you keep your entire life record in Evernote.  Evernote is of NO value to me if ALL I can effectively store in it is plain text.  May work for you GM, but, I suspect, few other people.  :-)  In fact they just added to the issue by supporting inline viewing of all MS Office docs -- will encourage many more people to keep many more docs in Evernote, making the EN DB even larger.

Given all that, it is just a matter of time before your Evernote DB becomes quite large.  With the very high-speed broadband we have today (mine is > 40 Mbps), it should not take long to download your entire EN DB.   At that rate 20 GB should download in about 136 min, a little over 2 hours.

So, IMO, this is a major issue that EN needs to fix, the sooner the better.  Especially since so often the solution EN Support provides is the same as yours:  Delete you EN app and data, and reinstall and re-download your entire DB.

Let me just add this.  Databases are one of my technical specialties.  In all other systems I have worked with, the solution to bad indexes, or even a corrupt DB, is to run a DB repair/reindex tool (provided by the DB or System owner).  Much, much faster than restoring your DB over the Internet.

Agreed :)

1. Evernote advertises itself as a place for multimedia and it is well-built for it, but there is a scaling issue that needs to be addressed. I have posted on this elsewhere.

2. My system is neither ridiculous nor unworkable, but I readily concede that it might not be a good fit for everyone.

3. More diagnostic tools (even as simple as giving us more information about our account) would be greatly appreciated. They could be hidden away in the menus. Heck, they could even be in an Evernote app called "EverLook" or something like that. Whatever they do, they ought to give us the ability to determine exactly how many notes we have, how often we use which notes, the average size of our notes, the actual size of our database on local storage, etc., etc. This is incredibly useful information that is currently not very easily accessible.

Back to topic -- Evernote 5.2 doesn't have these capabilities. Maybe Evernote 5.3 will :)

• Level 5*
One of the benefits of working mainly with text is that you can get away with having a small database (several tens of thousands of notes can still come in under 2 gigabytes).

Well, this is really a completely different subject, but since you brought it up ... :-)

I find that approach ridiculous and especially unworkable for the long term.  Evernote advertizes itself as being a rich-text, multi-media info capture/tracking/searching system.  They also advertize themselves as a 100-year company, and suggest that you keep your entire life record in Evernote.  Evernote is of NO value to me if ALL I can effectively store in it is plain text.  May work for you GM, but, I suspect, few other people.  :-)  In fact they just added to the issue by supporting inline viewing of all MS Office docs -- will encourage many more people to keep many more docs in Evernote, making the EN DB even larger.

Given all that, it is just a matter of time before your Evernote DB becomes quite large.  With the very high-speed broadband we have today (mine is > 40 Mbps), it should not take long to download your entire EN DB.   At that rate 20 GB should download in about 136 min, a little over 2 hours.

So, IMO, this is a major issue that EN needs to fix, the sooner the better.  Especially since so often the solution EN Support provides is the same as yours:  Delete you EN app and data, and reinstall and re-download your entire DB.

Let me just add this.  Databases are one of my technical specialties.  In all other systems I have worked with, the solution to bad indexes, or even a corrupt DB, is to run a DB repair/reindex tool (provided by the DB or System owner).  Much, much faster than restoring your DB over the Internet.

• Level 5*

My guess is that it is just an indexing issue. It might not be a bad idea to completely erase Evernote from your drive before downloading and installing 5.2. This would require you to do an initial sync with the servers, of course.

Really?  And how many DAYS do you think it will take to completely re-download all of my 7638 Notes?

All just because Evernote has a BUG in its indexing code?

This might actually have more serious ramifications.  Database Indexes are the means by which the software searches for records (notes) within the database.  IF the Index is wrong/corrupted, then ALL searches (including NO filters) could be suspect.

This is Database 101.  How can Evernote put out code with this type of BUG?

It isn't so much the amount of notes, but the size that counts here. Assuming you have between 10 and 20 gigabytes of data in your account, it might take a couple of days to download everything. One of the benefits of working mainly with text is that you can get away with having a small database (several tens of thousands of notes can still come in under 2 gigabytes). Anyhow, initial syncs are slow, and it is frustrating, but in this case I think that is the direction I would go. Of course, if you contact customer support, they might have better advice.

As for the index being incorrect, I think that your searches might be off if the index is incorrect, but I couldn't say what is going on in the background. Again, this might be something better answered by customer support. It may turn out that there is no impact at all and the app is just miscounting.

It does look like a bug, and it sucks, but we have had instances in the past of note counts that are incorrect. For whatever reason, it appears to be a difficult bug to eradicate. My guess (only a guess) is that you are jumping up to an entirely new version of the Mac client and, because it has been entirely rewritten (as I recall, even the file structure is different on your disk), bugs like this are probably more likely to occur.

• Level 5*

My guess is that it is just an indexing issue. It might not be a bad idea to completely erase Evernote from your drive before downloading and installing 5.2. This would require you to do an initial sync with the servers, of course.

Really?  And how many DAYS do you think it will take to completely re-download all of my 7638 Notes?

All just because Evernote has a BUG in its indexing code?

This might actually have more serious ramifications.  Database Indexes are the means by which the software searches for records (notes) within the database.  IF the Index is wrong/corrupted, then ALL searches (including NO filters) could be suspect.

This is Database 101.  How can Evernote put out code with this type of BUG?

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Note Count Changes When Updating from EN Mac 3.3.0 to EN Mac 5.2.0

I just applied the update on my MacBook Air, running Mt. Lion 10.8.4.

I did an EN SYNC just before the update.

BEFORE Update:  7638

AFTER Update:     7728

CHG:                         90

The EN Web Client also shows 7638 Notes AFTER the update, but BEFORE I have done a SYNC in EN Mac 5.2.0.

Where did these extra 90 Notes come from, and what are they?

Screen Shots:

EN Mac 3.3.0 BEFORE Update

Note_Count_Before_Update_to_V5.jpg

EN Mac 5.2.0 AFTER Update

Note_Count_AFTER_Upgrade_to_V5.2.0.jpg

Web Client AFTER Update:

Note_Count_Web_AFTER_Upgrade_to_V5.2.0.j

My guess is that it is just an indexing issue. It might not be a bad idea to completely erase Evernote from your drive before downloading and installing 5.2. This would require you to do an initial sync with the servers, of course. Naturally, you know all about backups and the process, but I'll just remind anyone who stumbles across the thread later.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Note Count Changes When Updating from EN Mac 3.3.0 to EN Mac 5.2.0

I just applied the update on my MacBook Air, running Mt. Lion 10.8.4.

I did an EN SYNC just before the update.

BEFORE Update:  7638

AFTER Update:     7728

CHG:                         90

The EN Web Client also shows 7638 Notes AFTER the update, but BEFORE I have done a SYNC in EN Mac 5.2.0.

Where did these extra 90 Notes come from, and what are they?

Screen Shots:

EN Mac 3.3.0 BEFORE Update

Note_Count_Before_Update_to_V5.jpg

EN Mac 5.2.0 AFTER Update

Note_Count_AFTER_Upgrade_to_V5.2.0.jpg

Web Client AFTER Update:

Note_Count_Web_AFTER_Upgrade_to_V5.2.0.j

Something curious about show inline of pages documents:

I download from iCloud a Pages document and drag&drop on a new note in Evernote. I can see it 'inline'.

I send by email to my evernote account the same document, and I get the file in a note, but I can't see it inline. The option does not even exist in the menu that drops down with a click of the secondary mouse button. (Edit: preview works, but the page document can not be displayed inline.)

Office documents don't render inline for me either, can't even select it from the context menu. But I guess it's being sorted out.

I just wanted to re-iterate how I loathe the new "all-the-information-in-the-world-whether-you-want-it-or-not"-bar in the new inline previews which do work for .pdf. I may have to start storing everything as .jpgs instead. Always a step backwards with each new release ...

Edit: Spelling bug

BUG REPORT

Hi Since I have updated to the latest version I have noticed a bug when copy-pasting web page content in evernote. 

If I copy for example content from wikipedia to paste into evernote, the "style css" of the page which used to be respected in the note is now showing some issues,   all the captions text under the images is now being displayed all accross the page instead as following the same html style as on the actual web page....  I never had this problem before on any previous version.

Also I noticed a weird "linear bug" in the renderings of the previews in card mode.

keep up the good work, and please try fixing these issues! thanks
  • Level 5

So I opened one of my old notes with an iWork file on it, deleted it from the note and then re added the file. The preview works like a charm!

You shouldn't have to do that. You should be able to ctrl-click on the attachment and choose 'View Inline'.

Today I had a situation where marking up a .pdf-file in Skitch made sense. I was quite baffled with the resulting output, and have two complaints:

1) First about the big, clunky blob that yields no useful information whatsoever. I cannot delete this info, so I have to detach the .pdf and paste it into a new note. That brings us to the next problem:

2) The new .pdf is simply called annotated.pdf. So now I have to rename the .pdf too? (I probably wouldn't bother if it's not for the fact that now we are forced to see the actual title of any .pdf attached to a note.

Why not make this information blob voluntary? You know we aren't going to share notes with this mess anyway, so the "made with Skitch" thing is rather pointless. (And, I did realise that I made it with Skitch, you know?). And, why not keep the original title of the .pdf as you're pasting it into a new note anyway? I planned to do this with ten documents, that were to go in the same note. That would give me ten documents named annotated.pdf - that's a bit silly. 

Addition: I forgot to add that the easiest way is to just open the .pdf directly in Skitch, save them and paste them into Evernote (I tried "syncing" - that just produced an even larger "blob"). It feels like the "Skitch integration" the other way around is just another gimmick - at least, it is not very useful as it is implemented currently.

Edit: Whoops. I realise I forgot to attach the screenshot, I made. Not sure it makes much of a difference, but here it is:

Evernote.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Sorry about the Danish, but you'll get the idea, I am sure. (Here's a note with the image, since Skitch is *****: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/b44babe4-a777-450a-987b-e5af71d7f7ab/a9e11b1c90ec7a4c36ba332a4f659225)

@DariaT

I have essentially the same problem since the upgrade. I can create a new note but Evernote doesn't sync anythign except a blank "untitled note". I was about to wipe my local database to see if that helps (good thing I have it on my phone and tablet ;).

I do not have an unusually large database and I'm not trying to add anything except text notes at the moment. This is a big problem and I hope to see it addressed soon.

Hi! Ever since I upgraded to the new Evernote (5.2.1) I can't actually use any of my notes anymore,  (i.e. type in them, change them, etc) or anything in Evernote anymore. Does anyone know how I can fix this by any chance?

Our next release to the Mac App Store will have the document preview issue fixed. Thanks for your patience.

Just downloaded... wonderful to see all documents inline now, thanks!

I really like the preview- and save-icon!

Could you maybe add an icon for printing and emailing the attachment?

I partly use Evernote to organize scans of documents (PDFs). I regularly have to email or print some of those. These two icons would speed up my workflow considerably!

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if this changed from V3 to V5, but could NOT figure out how to remove a linked NB.

I did the obvious thing of right-clicking on the NB, but did NOT see a choice for unshare or unlink.

Finally I did a google search and found the answer: "Leave Notebook"

This makes NO sense to me and is NOT intuitive at all.  In fact after you choose "Leave Notebook" the popup window describes the action as "Unlink".

"Unlink" makes a lot more sense.  Please change the right-click context menu from "Leave Notebook" to either "Unlink Notebook" OR "Remove Notebook".

Here a screen shot of the right-click menu:

Unlink_NB.jpg  Leave_Popup.jpg

• Level 5*

JMichael, one possible reason for the additional notes being displayed in 5.2 could be the inclusion of shared notes. Do you have any joined notebooks?

Jack, good catch!  You're exactly right.  I have two shared NB which have notes totally 90, exactly the difference in Note counts.

• Level 5

iOS.. working on it :)

And regarding the markup a copy of a PDF behavior, yes, this is the expected behavior. Although, once you create your first "Skitch'ed" copy, you can continually modify that copy without creating new ones.

I'm having trouble with the Mark Up in Skitch feature.

The way I think it should work (maybe this is not the intention) is that I have a note with a PDF and I click to "Mark Up in Skitch" (from toolbar). Then I make any annotations and my original note contains the edited PDF. No duplicates, no extra notes, etc.

But every time I annotate, Evernote produces a duplicate note and my annotated PDF appears in the duplicate note and my original note just contains the un-marked up PDF.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how this feature is supposed to work?

Hey!!!! 

The new highlight feature is awesome!!! but the funny thing is the color between mac and iOS is different and they are not recognizing the highlighting from each other... In other words, if you highlight something in mac, it appear as highlighted in iOS but when you are over that part of the text the exclamation icon doesn't change. If you highlight something in iOS it will appear as highlighted in Mac but the pencil button doesn't change... WEIRD! 

Are you planning an update in iOS to adapt its highlight to mac version??? 

Just updated my evernote.

First I removed the old evernote because App Store won't let me update and the installation won't work with downloading dmg either for some permission reasons. So I manually removed it. And then installed the dmg from evernote website. When opening up, the contents got synced successfully but evernote kept telling me "Please check your internet connection or try again later". This message comes out every 12 seconds. So I tried to install it from App Store, and it's still the same error.

My system is 10.6.8. Know it's a bit old, but App Store says supporting 10.6.6+?

Evernote: 5.2.0 (401495)

jsharp, what exact version number are you running? Should be 401495. Check the Evernote Menu -> About.

I figured it out. I have the correct version of EN, but was running OSX Snow Leapord. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion it showed. Weird...

Looks like there is a systematic issue with inline document previews and the Mac App Store version. We're tracking it down now. If you really need the functionality now, give our direct download version a try. (It's at the top of this thread)

Ok, thanks! If I just delete the Mac store version and install the direct download, will I need to re-load all my notes? Or will it pull them up like normal?

• Level 5

Looks like there is a systematic issue with inline document previews and the Mac App Store version. We're tracking it down now. If you really need the functionality now, give our direct download version a try. (It's at the top of this thread)

When contacting support for the issue where you cannot view inline docs please provide the below information to speed up a response/resolution for you.  We are investigating this on our end at this time.

1. App store download or Direct Download

2. Copy of your activity logs

3. Copy of your console logs - On Mac, open Applications > Utilities > Console

Cheers,

Phil

Support told me to delete Evernote and reinstall from the Mac Store. I followed their steps and I'm still seeing the same issues as I stated above. No office docs inline.

On my system, Office documents eventually started to show up. But no Excel previews yet.

By the way, I love the new title bar for inline attachments: I can finally open inline attachments with a simple double click (instead of context menu --> Open).

Hey guys! I just uninstalled the Mac App Store version and installed the direct download version and I found that inline preview works but ONLY for newly added files.

Preferences.png

So I opened one of my old notes with an iWork file on it, deleted it from the note and then re added the file. The preview works like a charm!

Reporte%20de%20Ventas.png

I seriously don't remember if that option was available with the Mac App Store version so I'll try that out with my laptop which still has it installed and i'll let you guys know.

I have been using the new release for 30 min and already found the following bugs:

1. Checkbox lists no longer work. Not possible to hit return to be taken to a new line.

2. Cut and paste does not work in a number of areas.

I wonder what the next 30 min will bring.

sparrowlight, we do our best to render the documents. If you have specific examples of documents that don't work, it'd help if you would pass those to support along with your activity logs (Help -> Activity Logs). Thanks!

Thanks for your response! None of my docs will render (except PDFs and jpgs). I'll send in my activity logs. 

Same problem here. Nothing rendering, everything up to date and on the right version. Frustrating, much like the lack of reminders for Windows.

sparrowlight, we do our best to render the documents. If you have specific examples of documents that don't work, it'd help if you would pass those to support along with your activity logs (Help -> Activity Logs). Thanks!

Thanks for your response! None of my docs will render (except PDFs and jpgs). I'll send in my activity logs. 

• Level 5

Archived