(Archived) Evernote open on multiple machines simultaneously

Jon123456

I have a iMac, PC and Android with Evernote on all of them. My concern is that if I have Evernote open on all three at the same time, any syncing would not work correctly.

How does it tackle this situation? I mean I could potentially be adding material to all 3. Would it lose info in this situation?

Thanks,

Jon

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Conceivably one machine could sync while you were working on another,  which would give the older version of your note a more recent time stamp than the one you just changed.  When your changes sync,  they might spark a 'conflicting edits' issue where Evernote recognises that you have two versions of the same note and puts it into a new 'conflicting edits' notebook.  Or,  worst case; your changes might be overwritten by the 'newer' version of the note.  In your situation it would really be best to exit (and sync) Evernote on any machine you're not actively working on.

You might like to look at an alternative option - how about each machine has its own free account and you 'share' a notebook from your main account with the other two?

• Level 5*

I think that's how it should work - but if you change note 1 on one machine and have second thoughts and change it again a bit later on another machine,  you may find one set of changes is lost..  depending on when either machine syncs its changes.  The standard advice is always "sync,  change,  sync"...

I have a iMac, PC and Android with Evernote on all of them. My concern is that if I have Evernote open on all three at the same time, any syncing would not work correctly.

How does it tackle this situation? I mean I could potentially be adding material to all 3. Would it lose info in this situation?

Thanks,

Jon

EN is not (currently) designed to allow a single note to be modified simultaneously on different computers/devices.  However, I often have EN running on multiple computers simultaneously.  In order to avoid conflicting notes and/or losing data, it's important to understand how EN works (see below).  As Gaz said, before making changes to existing notes when you're moving between computers/devices, sync first, change, sync again.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

Archived