(Archived) Evernote annoys me

Oh sure it's got some great features and that's why I'd really like to use it.  But there are just a couple of things that irritate me about it and that are preventing me from using it instead of what I do use - "stickies" (yes, it's someone else's app).

Keep in mind, stickies doesn't have all the features I want that are available in Evernote, so I'm not happy with either one.  It's always something isn't it.  Also keep in mind, this is meant as constructive criticism.  I spent my valuable time typing up this list because I'd like to see these changes incorporated.  I didn't do it just to complain or to "hear myself talk".

So here's my list:

I don't like the fact that Evernote takes over my screen.  It's supposed to be a note, not a document.  So give me a nice little note window.  About the size of a post-it.  Maybe the option for initial size is available, I haven't found it.  And no I don't want to resize the window each & every time I create a new note (unless of course I do... point is it should start out small and be able to grow easily to any size if I want it).

For some reason, it really pleases & soothes me when I create a stickies note it comes up in post-it yellow.  I don't know why, it's just more friendly than a glaring bright white screen.  Part of it is the fact that there are these ugly headers.  Stickies provides many of the same formatting options, but it doesn't stick them in my face and take up 20-25% of my screen real estate while it's doing it.  An easily configurable option, but I don't see anywhere to configure this.

The tray icon.  It looks like an elephant head on a green background.  My stickies icon looks like a little yellow post-it pad.  I can never find the Evernote icon even though the two are side by side.  I have to hunt through each of my 18 tray icons to find it.  Annoying.  So I go to stickies because I can identify it immediately.  My eye is simply drawn towards it, no hunting.  I know what a yellow pad means.  I can never remember what the heck the elephant does.

Stickies just FEELS easy to use; it's almost fun.  Evernote FEELS complex and it feels like work to use it.

At the moment, that's all I can think of.  These aren't major things, but they just annoy me so much I will not use Evernote even though in most ways it's superior to stickies.  I suspect it could be because I got used to stickies first, but stickies uses a paradigm (post-its) everyone is familiar with and it just feels so much more friendly to use.

Anyway, just felt the need to get that off my chest.  I hope I haven't wasted my time.

Oh sure it's got some great features and that's why I'd really like to use it. But there are just a couple of things that irritate me about it and that are preventing me from using it instead of what I do use - "stickies" (yes, it's someone else's app).

Keep in mind, stickies doesn't have all the features I want that are available in Evernote, so I'm not happy with either one. It's always something isn't it. Also keep in mind, this is meant as constructive criticism. I spent my valuable time typing up this list because I'd like to see these changes incorporated. I didn't do it just to complain or to "hear myself talk".

So here's my list:

I don't like the fact that Evernote takes over my screen. It's supposed to be a note, not a document. So give me a nice little note window. About the size of a post-it. Maybe the option for initial size is available, I haven't found it. And no I don't want to resize the window each & every time I create a new note (unless of course I do... point is it should start out small and be able to grow easily to any size if I want it).

For some reason, it really pleases & soothes me when I create a stickies note it comes up in post-it yellow. I don't know why, it's just more friendly than a glaring bright white screen. Part of it is the fact that there are these ugly headers. Stickies provides many of the same formatting options, but it doesn't stick them in my face and take up 20-25% of my screen real estate while it's doing it. An easily configurable option, but I don't see anywhere to configure this.

The tray icon. It looks like an elephant head on a green background. My stickies icon looks like a little yellow post-it pad. I can never find the Evernote icon even though the two are side by side. I have to hunt through each of my 18 tray icons to find it. Annoying. So I go to stickies because I can identify it immediately. My eye is simply drawn towards it, no hunting. I know what a yellow pad means. I can never remember what the heck the elephant does.

Stickies just FEELS easy to use; it's almost fun. Evernote FEELS complex and it feels like work to use it.

At the moment, that's all I can think of. These aren't major things, but they just annoy me so much I will not use Evernote even though in most ways it's superior to stickies. I suspect it could be because I got used to stickies first, but stickies uses a paradigm (post-its) everyone is familiar with and it just feels so much more friendly to use.

Anyway, just felt the need to get that off my chest. I hope I haven't wasted my time.

Everyone has things they want EN to do that it doesn't. As far as "wasting" your time, just because users post what they'd like EN to do doesn't mean EN will do that. Personally, I prefer the larger screens & am much less into the cosmetic aspects as I prefer function over form.

• Level 5*

Yes, thanks for taking the time to write about things that you'd like Evernote to do. The Evernote staff do listen and appreciate your input, but they don't always do everything that people request.

This is like comparing Paris, Texas with Paris France.  Stickies is basically an electronic post-it program; Evernote is a way of life.  Stickies can keep it simple because it is simple.  Evernote needs to cater to users who range from those who need only the occasional sticky note, to those (like myself) who have gone entirely paperless both at home and work with Evernote.  Apples and Oranges.

Archived