(Archived) Evernote's beginnings...

shekala

Just curious - I keep getting getting notices about Evernote's 5 year anniversary, but I began using Evernote nearly 8 years ago (my first note is dated 8/30/2005). Any idea why they say its only 5 years old?

• Level 5*

Just curious - I keep getting getting notices about Evernote's 5 year anniversary, but I began using Evernote nearly 8 years ago (my first note is dated 8/30/2005). Any idea why they say its only 5 years old?

Hi. I think you'll find some answers in this thread http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39335-evernote-turns-5-years-old/?p=213187 Basically, I think they are counting from "this" version of Evernote. It's relaunch, so to speak.

Thanks for the thread. The "best" answer I see there is "To clarify (or muddy further) things, the 5 years is from when EverNote became Evernote". Whatever that means!

Seems a bit arbitrary, and they should definitely recognize their early users a bit better as long as they are making a big deal out of user numbers :)

Thanks for the thread. The "best" answer I see there is "To clarify (or muddy further) things, the 5 years is from when EverNote became Evernote". Whatever that means!

Seems a bit arbitrary, and they should definitely recognize their early users a bit better as long as they are making a big deal out of user numbers :)

They are essentially different products that share the same name (Windows only, desktop only app vs multi platform cloud app).  So I can see why they would differentiate between the two.  And they may not even be able to (easily) track the number of users of the Windows app.

• Level 5*

Andrew mentioned the name change in a podcast, but I don't recall him mentioning the date. My guess is that the dating and user number is arbitrary to some extent. It would be cool if they did something extra to recognize their early beta folks. I wasn't one, though, so no green Tesla for me :(

• Level 5*

They are essentially different products that share the same name (Windows only, desktop only app vs multi platform cloud app).  So I can see why they would differentiate between the two.  And they may not even be able to (easily) track the number of users of the Windows app.

A different way of looking at this is that it is the same product but the cloud function was added in version 3.  If I remember correctly, versions 1 and 2 were EverNote and then became Evernote with version 3.  Personally, I thought they should have altered the name more and not called it version 3 when cloud sync was added since a lot of function was also dropped at that time to enable the change in direction.  It was a bumpy transition at first with the function loss (though I never mourned the loss of tape view) and perfomance problems with 3.5 (as I recall) but version 4 turned me into a believer again and I'm (along with many others) eagerly awaiting the next Windows version.

I'm making room in the garage for the green Tesla ... just in case.

A different way of looking at this is that it is the same product but the cloud function was added in version 3.  If I remember correctly, versions 1 and 2 were EverNote and then became Evernote with version 3.  Personally, I thought they should have altered the name more and not called it version 3 when cloud sync was added since a lot of function was also dropped at that time to enable the change in direction.

That's why I normally refer to it as a different product with the same name...rather than "kind of the same product with fewer features but more other features." 

And I, for one, hated the tape view.  That was very off putting to me, when I first tried EN (the Windows app) in April 2008 & ended up going with OneNote. 

Archived