Customized Toolbars

johnreggio

I'm new to Evernote and have customized my toolbar by dragging and dropping items.  The very next time I open the program the default items have returned.  Not a big deal, but annoying.  How do I get my cusomized toolbar to stay in place?  Thanks.

• Level 5

It depends on what operating system you are using.

In Windows, exit the program fully >File >Sign Out (not >File >Exit), then sign back in with your password.

It should save the setup.

• Level 5*

It depends on what operating system you are using.

In Windows, exit the program fully >File >Sign Out (not >File >Exit), then sign back in with your password.

It should save the setup.

Good advice, but as a point of clarification, you cannot customize the toolbar on the Mac in Version 5.

• Level 5

a point of clarification, you cannot customize the toolbar on the Mac in Version 5.

Of course, we don't know, but...

I wonder if this Mac non-customization feature will become a new added benefit in the upcoming Windows update.

• Level 5*

a point of clarification, you cannot customize the toolbar on the Mac in Version 5.

Of course, we don't know, but...

I wonder if this Mac non-customization feature will become a new added benefit in the upcoming Windows update.

I don't know, but we need to get you to embrace change :)

• Level 5*

I don't know, but we need to get you to embrace change :)

Not entirely sure that that's working out so well for me, unless you mean by "embrace" something that a python does to its dinner...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Cannot customize the Toolbar on Evernote %+ on the Mac?  What an incredibly stupid idea!  (What must be even more stupid is that I'm paying premium fees for this!)

What changes to the toolbar would you like to make?

The Evernote.Mac toolbar wastes screen real-estate, which is, IME, always ill-advised.

When using a program with which I am adept, I hide the toolbar.  I have no use for it, since I have committed to memory the key-chords I need to execute menu commands.

When learning a program, however, I find the toolbar most useful.  I populate it with frequently-used commands so that I can have one-click access to executing commands instead of having to find the command in the menus.

I would like to add to my Evernote toolbar icons for the following commands:

- Show Note in own Window

- Change view to (one of the five Notes List views)

- Reverse sort order

- Sort by … 

- Go back (pick from list)

- Go forward (pick from list)

- Group/Ungroup

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot customize the Toolbar on Evernote %+ on the Mac?  What an incredibly stupid idea!  (What must be even more stupid is that I'm paying premium fees for this!)

What changes to the toolbar would you like to make?

What a silly question. It implies that users need to provide rationalization for wanting this function. The better question would be: "What kind of changes would you like NOT to make?" Why? Because Evernote should allow users to customize the toolbar in such silly ways, it would be ridiculous.

The function to customize the toolbars should have been built in with version 0.002. This is a de facto standard for Mac and GTD apps. We're on version 5.5.1 on the Mac and this function is STILL not available.

I'm sorry, I figured it was an innocent enough question. Shoot me for being curious. 

I have never felt compelled to modify the toolbar in Evernote because most of the things I need to do are accessible from hotkeys or the note editor or a contextual menu. I was honestly curious about what my fellow users might want to put up there. If I never asked, I would never know, and I have learned an awful lot by asking (apparently silly) questions on these forums. 

• 2 months later...

I'll resurrect this topic too, as I've just updated to 5.5 from 3.3 Mac and can't believe I've lost my customized toolbar.  Yes, I'm sure there are key shortcuts, but frankly I don't use them much.  That's why we have software which works in a variety of ways, I thought, so that different users could access it in different ways.  Some people like menus, some like keys, some like toolbars?  Works for everyone, at all different levels.

So, now that I'm up to date, I've lost my "all notes" button, my "print" button, and have to live with the "sync" button where I never, ever want to see or touch it?  Hmmm.  Personally, I don't find that an improvement, and judging from many of the folks who beta'd ver 4 and 5 they didn't either.

Really wish you wouldn't remove this kind of functionality.  But thanks anyway. 

Why are you missing "all notes"? I have that button in almost every view I am in running Evernote 5.X.X. 

I agree it is nice to have options, and perhaps there are some toolbar things that are important that are now lost, but

1) one of the buttons you mention isn't actually missing, it is still there (All Notes).

2) Print... cmd-p or file>print is really not too onerous is it? It is not likely you were using the Print button in the toolbar every minute or two like might use a button to change views. 

That sync button is probably the most important button you could possibly have, since that is your gateway to preventing data loss. Personally I use hotkeys to force a sync, but as you say, it's nice to have options, and Evernote has given users the option to use their mouse to click the most important button ever. 

Archived