(Archived) Problem with posting to this forum -- lines being dropped

This may be a known behavior but it's very frustrating, particularly as I'm trying to carry on a discussion here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34463-inserting-an-evernote-internal-link-into-google-docs-file/

Some of the lines in my replies just fail to end up in the posted version. It seems to have something to do with whether the line includes a certain string pattern. I'm going to give two examples here, one containing the suspect string, and one where I'll *describe* the suspect. I'll sandwich each between some flags, so that if the first line gets dropped we'll see it. If both end up being included, then I'm clearly a gibbering idiot and should be ignored (although it still won't explain what I'm seeing in that other thread).

First the line containing the suspect string. If the bug shows you'll see only two consecutive lines containing only ###

### 

###

Now a line describing the suspect string. I hope this shows between its two ### lines

###
The suspect string is a double-quote followed by the lower-case name of the product this forum is about, followed by a colon, then three forward slashes, then the word 'view', another forward slash, the word 'bla', three periods, and a final closing double-quote.
###

OK, let's see what happens.

This may be a known behavior but it's very frustrating, particularly as I'm trying to carry on a discussion here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34463-inserting-an-evernote-internal-link-into-google-docs-file/

Some of the lines in my replies just fail to end up in the posted version. It seems to have something to do with whether the line includes a certain string pattern. I'm going to give two examples here, one containing the suspect string, and one where I'll *describe* the suspect. I'll sandwich each between some flags, so that if the first line gets dropped we'll see it. If both end up being concluded, then I'm clearly a gibbering idiot and should be ignored (although it still won't explain what I'm seeing in that other thread).

First the line containing the suspect string. If the bug shows you'll see only two consecutive lines containing only ###

### 

###

Now a line describing the suspect string. I hope this shows between its two ### lines

###
The suspect string is a double-quote followed by the lower-case name of the product this forum is about, followed by a colon, then three forward slashes, then the word 'view', another forward slash, the word 'bla', three periods, and a final closing double-quote.
###

OK, let's see what happens.

Yay, it showed! Bug. 

Or known proper behavior? If so, can someone explain please.

So, some of us have seen issues where parts of posts have been dropped. I have experienced it myself, where content after a certain object in the post was not posted.

As far as I know, the forum hosts are trying to track it down, but it is one that is difficult to replicate and happens intermittently.

###

I don't think a reason has been found yet as to why.

###

Going to see if the # works for me. EDIT: It showed here.

Scott

I'm going to try some other ###-sandwiched lines to see if I can isolate the problem:

### just a quoted lowercase name of this product

"evernote"

####

### Now add the colon

"evernote:"

####

### Now the first forward slash

"evernote:/"

####

### The second

####

### And the third

####

### Mis-spell the name of the product, removing the e between the v and the r

####

### Just the symbols, dropping the word but still in quotes
####

### Drop the quotes, still just the symbols
####

### Finally the whole strong, but not quote
####

And, post...

Looks like it might be two or more consecutive forward-slashes

### Just one slash

/ foo bar wibble

####

### Two

// foo bar wibble

####

### And three
/// foo bar wibble
####

### Two but with a space
/ / foo bar wibble
####

Looks like it might be two or more consecutive forward-slashes

### Just one slash

/ foo bar wibble

####

### Two

// foo bar wibble

####

### And three
/// foo bar wibble
####

### Two but with a space
/ / foo bar wibble
####

Dammit!

Closing in.

### Unquoted colon-plus-two-slashes (which we now know is broken)

####

### Quoted colon-plus-two-slashes

####

And then repeat those but with a space between the colon and slashes

### Unquoted 

: //

####

### Quoted

": //"

####

Colon slash slash huh?

Well, lets test that. :P

here:

EDIT: Yep, it got dropped.

test an evernote type link:

EDIT2: Ok, so note link formations like evernote: // also get dropped (I put everote: //shard/etc.)

That is also a string used in links, so

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39400-problem-with-posting-to-this-forum-lines-being-dropped/#entry213373

I have notified the admins/forum devs of this thread, so I hope that they can finally track this down :)

Thanks for testing, and any more posting issues you see, don't hesitate to post.

Colon slash slash huh?

here:

EDIT2: Ok, so note link formations like evernote: // also get dropped (I put everote: //shard/etc.)

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39400-problem-with-posting-to-this-forum-lines-being-dropped/#entry213373

Wait -- so you're saying you got the bug even with a space between the colon and the slash-slash?

### no space (should get dropped)

evernote://

####

### now a space -- thought I'd already tested this and it was OK

evernote: //

####

Colon slash slash huh?

here:

Wait -- so you're saying you got the bug even with a space between the colon and the slash-slash?

### no space (should get dropped)

evernote://

####

### now a space -- thought I'd already tested this and it was OK

evernote: //

####

Huh? The first one worked too. Have they fixed it already??

Re-testing as I'd done originally. The first should be fine, the second should fail:

### Colon plus one slash (should pass)

:/ foo bar wibble

####

### Colon plus two slashes (should fail)

:// foo bar wibble

####

I was just writing it with a space so that it would stay visible, in order to explain what I was seeing. I guess I wasn't that clear about that.

Regardless, yes the forum devs have applied a fix which does appear to fix the issue.

Thanks for the back and forth here guys.  We'd spent the last week or so trying to track down the bug, uploading patches and the like, and you basically came in and with this thread, nailed down the last bit we needed to suss out the issue.  Perfect timing :) so it was a quick fix at that point.  Woot!

Archived