(Archived) Request: Lists (or multiple reminders per note)

Many of my notes are made up of lists--that I build with the checkbox bullet. (love that)  The new reminder feature is great, but only works for one note.

Would it be possible to attach multiple reminders within a note?  

Or better yet: have a list-styled note or simply a "List" (in addition to notes) that would already be formatted to include multiple reminders?  (This would look very similar to the Reminders feature within Mac/iOS calendar).  

Thanks so much! Send me a moleskin (please!) :)

Many of my notes are made up of lists--that I build with the checkbox bullet. (love that) The new reminder feature is great, but only works for one note.

Would it be possible to attach multiple reminders within a note?

Or better yet: have a list-styled note or simply a "List" (in addition to notes) that would already be formatted to include multiple reminders? (This would look very similar to the Reminders feature within Mac/iOS calendar).

Thanks so much! Send me a moleskin (please!) :)

Doubtful. I suggest you either make one note per reminder or use a true task list manager.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this would be a great addition to Evernote. My staff are moving over to Evernote and it was one of the first questions that came up.  They want to stop using other task list managers like Reminder and keep all the activities in one place - the aim of Evernote - and setting up lists with reminders needs to be achievable in one note.  MAybe tables could allow a field line to have a separate reminder allocated to it?

This would be a great step forward in terms of the wider functionality of the system.

• 3 weeks later...

Google calendar lets you set up to 7 reminders.  So if I have something SUPER important coming up that I CAN'T FORGET, I can have reminders set for 3 days prior, 2 days, 1 day, 12 hours, 6 hours, 2 hours, etc... This feature has saved my AISS many times.  So far, Google Calendar wins in the reminders category.

• Level 5*

A note has only one reminder, according to the current Evernote architecture. See the Evernote Data Model docs (http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/data_structure.php), Note structure (http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/reference/Types.html#Struct_Note) and Note Attributes structure (http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/reference/Types.html#Struct_NoteAttributes, specifically the reminderXXX fields) for details. Since it's taken us on the order of three years to get reminders in place architecturally and handled in many of the client UIs, I doubt that this is going to be changed in the near future.

Reading through the forums - it seems like a very useful and requested feature. Why would you want to go to another app / dedicated task manager??? Lists are even heavily marketed as part of the functionality of evernote: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/08/02/did-you-know-how-to-create-a-checklist-in-evernote/

You would use a dedicated app b/c EN has stated they are not trying to be another task manager. So using the right tool for the job would make sense. Simple lists are not in the same league as a dedicated task manager. In a similar vein, I can type a note in EN. But if I want a lot of special formatting & the presentation is important, I will use a true word processor b/c EN is not trying to be a word processor, either.

• 1 month later...

PRINT my list of reminders.  I understand that Evernote is not a "task manager" but the addition of Reminders is like giving me a car but no gas.  My list of 40 reminders cries out to be printed and now I have to take screenshots, import the image to a word document, and then print.  

Can we print out a list of Reminder items that are tagged?  or in a special notebook?  Or sync the reminders with some other task manager?  Anything?  

PRINT my list of reminders. I understand that Evernote is not a "task manager" but the addition of Reminders is like giving me a car but no gas. My list of 40 reminders cries out to be printed and now I have to take screenshots, import the image to a word document, and then print.

Can we print out a list of Reminder items that are tagged? or in a special notebook? Or sync the reminders with some other task manager? Anything?

First, like you said & has been said before many times, EN is not a true task manager.

Second, I would think having to print out reminders is like buying a car but not putting gas in it & wanting to power it by pushing or pedaling. Reminders are just that - they play a sound or pop something up on your phone, computer or tablet. Paper can't do that. Reminders printed out is just a to do list.

• 2 months later...

I too would like the ability to PRINT my reminders list.

While some people may be able to use reminders in a purely virtual form,

I personally cannot - I need a tangible print list.

The fact that Evernote allows us to delete the reminders or change the date

suggests to me that it is indeed a "to do list" by another name.

And I must say as a relative newbie, most of the Evernote marketing materials I have received -

including its manuals, videos and various "best practices for" books etc. -

heavily push Evernote's integrated functionality - including as a "true task manager."

That's Evernote's appeal to me - one tool, multiple functions, integrated knowledege base.

• Level 5*

The fact that Evernote allows us to delete the reminders or change the date

suggests to me that it is indeed a "to do list" by another name.

You can use Evernote as a to-do list even without reminders. Reminders add a further level, sure, but that's hardly Evernote's main purpose.

And I must say as a relative newbie, most of the Evernote marketing materials I have received -

heavily push Evernote's integrated functionality - including as a "true task manager."

Haven't found a source for Evernote claiming that it's a "true task manager". Not via web seaarch. Not on the main Evernote product page (https://evernote.com/evernote/). Not in the Knowledge Base, though there's a useful description there: "Reminders are a great way to keep track of notes that contain time-sensitive information, or that you need in order to accomplish tasks.".

That's Evernote's appeal to me - one tool, multiple functions, integrated knowledege base.

Sure, one tool, multiple functions, but it's hardly in anyone's conversation about dedicated best-of-breed task managers.

Hardly. Perhaps you are not familiar with a true task manager. Evernote only goes as far as as a "check list".

Sure, we'd all like one app to do everything we need to do.  But certainly in the near to not-so-near future, there will always be tools that do one thing better than another, without exception.  I still use Quicken to pay bills & reconcile my bank accounts.  I still use Paint Shop Pro 9 to edit my images.  I still use Firefox as my browser & Outlook as my mail manager to collect email from my various email accounts.  I still use (a myriad of apps) to do (a myriad of things on my computer.)  And...I use Toodledoo (and some third party apps) for a true task manager.  And...I use Evernote pretty much every single hour of every single day to collect, organize and/or retrieve info. 

Whoa. I clearly am a newbie. I didn't realize how ummmm  ... personally some of you feel about this product/tool/choose-your-description!

And as such, I have to say a lot of what you seem to be arguing about strikes me as semantics,

or perhaps simply different ways of learning, using our brains and using tools.

I think it's fabulous you all care so much about this product -

I am simply naming its limits as I experience them.

And I do indeed think that Evernote's marketing - not simply to expert users such as yourselves -

is that it is an expandable, fungible, mult-purpose tool -

theoretically at least the very opposite of a definitional concept

that insists on a limited self-definition or function.

You may well understand it differently.

At any rate, happy holidays and here's to new year's wishes:

mine will include fully printable reminder lists!

that insists that there is only certain possible or intended

• Level 5*

Whoa. I clearly am a newbie. I didn't realize how ummmm  ... personally some of you feel about this product/tool/choose-your-description!

I think it's more that I don't take Evernote for what it's not really intended to be. It certainly does have multiple uses, but I just don't see the Evernote folks saying that it's a true task manager. It pretty much suits my needs in that area, but my way may be pretty idiosyncratic, and is certainly somewhat less than what a GTD-er would expect. That being said, they might turn around and want to deliver such a product someday.

BTW, printable reminder lists isn't a bad idea... anyways, happy holidays and new years and all to you, too.

Archived