(Archived) How many tags do you have?

I read one person's blog to say that they only had about 20 tags in evernote. I have about a hundred or so. To find anything at all, I search for it, but I wonder if maybe I should be more judicious about tag use. (I know, I know, use it like I want to, but I'd like to know if there's a better way to use EN.)

So how many tags do you have? Are they very general tags or do you get very specific with tag names?

Judging by the aggregate metrics in the service, most users just have a handful of tags, and a few users have thousands of tags. I think this is one of those personality type differences ... some people like fine-grained organizing in advance, others use coarse-grained organization and rely on searching instead.

I'm in the latter category ... I personally find it easier to just add a few extra words to the title or body of the note which will make it easy to do a text search later.

... a few users have thousands of tags. ...

I can see that I might want to have lots of tags, but I don't understand how to organize them. A thousand item list under Tags does not seem very usable.

When you type a word or a quoted phrase into the search box, this will match the tags of the note in addition to the title and body of the note. This means you could use tags more as "keywords" that allow you to do focused searching later.

The search grammar allows you to limit the matches to just tags by putting "tag:" in front of your search term if you're a power-user. E.g. this will match notes that are tagged with the word "Cooking", but not notes that just contain this in the body:

tag:"Cooking"

The search grammar allows you to limit the matches to just tags by putting "tag:" in front of your search term if you're a power-user. E.g. this will match notes that are tagged with the word "Cooking", but not notes that just contain this in the body:

tag:"Cooking"

Dave, thanks for this.

Is there a description of the search grammar anywhere?

Don.

Archived