(Archived) Request OP date and last post date be shown in search results

Search of forum to see if there is already an answer to your "issue" would be much more helpful if the hits shown indicated the date of the thread; seems like an obvious aide to users.

EN seems to change quite frequently and for many features a discussion, an answer, a work around, that is more than 18 months old is likely to be of very little value, I realize in writing that sentence that what I'd want to see in the "hits" is the date of the OP, and then the date of the last post. Sometimes a member chooses to add to an older thread on a given topic/issue so as not to proliferate the forum with too many threads on the same thing, so the last post date is important data in deciding whether looking at a particular search hit is worth the effort.

I'm a newbie and value all of the valuable insights of forum people but getting to that information is often overly challenging. For me EN programmer's lack of thinking through what would help forum members is similar to my experience of all of the roadblocks and gotchas that one encounters trying to use EN.

• Level 5

You have a very valid point.

The Evernote Forum search is not your friend.

This forum program comes from a 3rd party, so it is up to Evernote to pass on our comments.

I have only seen two workaround solutions.

• The forum search is so poor that some of time users suggest opening another window and using a search engine to find your answer.
  • Other long time users actually save selected forum posts to their own Evernote account for better access.

Thx jbenson2 You often respond to one of my threads and as usual quite helpful. Will resort to using external search engine for the forum searches, just another work around for dealing with EN. EN seems to have promise, but all of the road blocks and gotchas of learning to use it in an intermediate manner can be quite frustrating to a newbie. If it weren't for some helpful and quite intelligent forum members (who clearly find value in EN) I think I would have started to look for an alternative several days ago. I don't mind a learning curve, but I do find EN official documentation often significantly out of date and wrong and that really makes me wonder about EN as a company that is unable to manage the growth of its platforms and features. The number of forum posts of long time users who admit to being confused about some basic features (Sharing a Notebook; controlling file size of images connected to Notes) is quite discouraging. Will give it another week and unless I can get some core functionality to work easily (or with non-pretzel like work arounds) even though I have invested many hours into the program, I will get out while I can.

Enough of my rant, thanks for your help.

• Level 5*

Thx jbenson2 You often respond to one of my threads and as usual quite helpful. Will resort to using external search engine for the forum searches, just another work around for dealing with EN. EN seems to have promise, but all of the road blocks and gotchas of learning to use it in an intermediate manner can be quite frustrating to a newbie. If it weren't for some helpful and quite intelligent forum members (who clearly find value in EN) I think I would have started to look for an alternative several days ago. I don't mind a learning curve, but I do find EN official documentation often significantly out of date and wrong and that really makes me wonder about EN as a company that is unable to manage the growth of its platforms and features. The number of forum posts of long time users who admit to being confused about some basic features (Sharing a Notebook; controlling file size of images connected to Notes) is quite discouraging. Will give it another week and unless I can get some core functionality to work easily (or with non-pretzel like work arounds) even though I have invested many hours into the program, I will get out while I can.

Enough of my rant, thanks for your help.

Hi. Sorry you are frustrated by the forum. It doesn't always yield its secrets easily :)

If you look carefully at the results when using the Google search on this site, you'll notice a number in each of the page addresses. The twenty thousands are roughly 2012, and the thirty thousands are 2013. Your thread is number 39,321. That might give you a better sense of whether you are looking at something old or new. It only tells you the approx. time of creation, of course, and not when the last post occurred. That data would be nice!

By the way, you might think everything would be online, but forum threads sometimes dissappear. That's one of the reasons I evernote especially useful ones in my account. If you are wondering, I think the oldest thread still in existence is from February 2008

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/838-kowabunga-geographical-search-in-en-30/

GrumpyMonkey thanks, very helpful to know thread number and approximate year. I will put that data in EN note. And yes I am Evernoting various forum threads, but as you know some features change in how they function every 6 months or so, and add to that the misconceptions that some people have and post in threads it can be a challenge. Thanks to you and others I am sorting out what I need and taming the beast.

• Level 5

One other suggestion.

You can use the following search term in Google or Bing to narrow the choices to just forum comments:
site:discussion.evernote.com <your search terms>

Example:
site:discussion.evernote.com security
site:discussion.evernote.com highlight
or
site:discussion.evernote.com "Due Date"

Search Code 47ER92

Archived