Skitch Mac 2.6 has been released

Joe Lopez

Idea

Hello everybody,

We just released Skitch Mac version 2.6. This version is available via our direct download link (evernote.com/skitch), from within the direct download app for auto-updating (check Preferences->Software Update) and from the Mac App Store.

Please note that some Mac App Stores may take a little while to update as Apple pushes the release to their servers. 

Here's the release notes for 2.6:

➙ Adjustable Canvas automatically expands the margins of your workspace to make room for additional annotations

➙ Open PDFs from the Screen Snap selector and the Capture menu

➙ Crop tool is now part of the Canvas Size Tools, which give you the ability to both crop and expand the canvas

➙ Skitch’s arrows get an update to make the curve more pronounced (similar to Skitch's original arrows)

➙ Rotate Arrows and Lines in 45 degree increments by holding the Shift key while clicking the end and rotating it

➙ Reduced minimum sizes for shapes

➙ Choose to Enable the advanced Screen Snap tools from the tool or preferences, or Disable for one click Screen Snap

➙ Advanced Screen Snap tools can also be hidden

➙ Screen Snap will attempt to grab the window name as the suggested file name at the time of the snap

➙ Lots of bug fixes and improvements

EDIT: Skitch Direct Download version has been updated to 2.6.1. 

This fixes some issues that users of the direct download version were running into with screen snap or update preference settings not showing.

16 replies to this idea

Joe - you say "At any time you an click on the title in the image and type a new name, which will be used instead".  This doesn't work for me using the "Drag Me" option.  I change the title but when I drag from the Drag Me tab to the desktop it uses the original title for the file name 

@lindseycholmes - We're in the same boat as well. We have Mavericks running on a few external drives because we can't commit to upgrading any of our workday Macs until we can be sure all of our day to day apps will run. And of course Skitch is one of our day to day apps.

@lindseycholmes - Unfortunately we're not actively supporting Mavericks yet, because the beta hasn't settled down. We're logging bugs, but given that Mavericks is in a state of beta, which code still being finalized it is hard for us to identify the exact cause of the bugs. 

Right not running Skitch under Mavericks is a "use at your own risk" situation. As soon as the betas become more solid we'll start evaluating fixes for the bugs. For what it is worth we've seen some features work, break, and get better between the different betas, and that is all without us doing a thing. 

Hey Joe! I got it. 'Hasn't settled down' is an understatement. lol. I am weighing my love for a buggy Mavericks and my love for Skitch... This is my hardest decision as of late. :) Thanks again!

@lindseycholmes - Unfortunately we're not actively supporting Mavericks yet, because the beta hasn't settled down. We're logging bugs, but given that Mavericks is in a state of beta, with code still being finalized it is hard for us to identify the exact cause of the bugs. 

Right not running Skitch under Mavericks is a "use at your own risk" situation. As soon as the betas become more solid we'll start evaluating fixes for the bugs. For what it is worth we've seen some features work, break, and get better between the different betas, and that is all without us doing a thing. 

@Joe - sorry just found this thread. I am not able to access Skitch at all on Mavericks. It worked when I first upgraded, but had a system issue and when reinstalling it's not functional at all. I can't clip, all options are greyed out in the menu as well. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

@khw - I just tested the following in 2.6:

Took a screen snap of an app (in my case Skype)

Changed the title in the top left to "Cheese" hit return after typing

Dragged to Desktop using Drag Me

File was named "Cheese"

Can you try those steps (Should work for any screen snap) and see if you aren't seeing the file name change to reflect the snap's title. 

That doesn't work for me on Mac OS 10.8.4.   Note: I have *not* signed in to Evernote when I follow those steps.   The title duly changes after I hit return but the name of the file dragged onto the Desktop is the original guessed by Skitch. 

Update: just tested it having signed in and it then works as intended.  So either a bug or a feature.…  

For anyone having issues with Skitch 2.6 that you downloaded directly from Evernote, please download the latest from: http://evernote.com/skitch

This applies only to direct download version of Skitch Mac, not the Mac App Store.

If you are having problems with screen capture crosshairs showing, or the update preferences displaying, please download this newest version. Again again this is not a patch for Mac App Store version.

@khw - I just tested the following in 2.6:

Took a screen snap of an app (in my case Skype)

Changed the title in the top left to "Cheese" hit return after typing

Dragged to Desktop using Drag Me

File was named "Cheese"

Can you try those steps (Should work for any screen snap) and see if you aren't seeing the file name change to reflect the snap's title. 

@rkanes - Thanks for the feedback. Due to a change in 10.8 we are not able to easily pass data from Safari to Skitch. We're still investigating a method to do this as easily as possible. 

Just wondering; is there any support planned for *true* "full-screen" captures that give you the area outside of the viewport? This is a great help with long pages, which otherwise have to be re-assembled in an image editor after annotation in Skitch. Thanks,  --RK

What I do with long webpages is exporting them as PDF (from Safari) and then opening the PDF in Skitch to use markups. Works great.

Just wondering; is there any support planned for *true* "full-screen" captures that give you the area outside of the viewport? This is a great help with long pages, which otherwise have to be re-assembled in an image editor after annotation in Skitch. Thanks,  --RK

@romansobko - Auto-naming was a Skitch 1.x and highly requested feature.

Skitch auto-naming applies logic when taking a screen snap and if the majority of a screen snap (assuming you're not trying to capture just a single window) falls within the bounds of a single window, then Skitch will try and use that window's name. If you capture the region of say your desktop, or Skitch can't get a name from the underlying window, then it will use the standard default name of "screenshot_<date stamp>".

At any time you an click on the title in the image and type a new name, which will be used instead. 

@Palladion - Thanks for feedback about Mavericks. We have just started testing with Mavericks ourselves, and will of course address all bugs for Mavericks before it ships this fall. Appreciate the feedback.

Just a quick note - PDF markup is working under Mountain Lion, but somehow broken in the current Mavericks (beta 2).

Markups are not showing in the main edit window, but in the thumbnail window on the left side (see my attached skitch). Also they do show in the PDF itself, so it is only a display problem in the main edit window.

Also the Flags (red x and green checkmark) are showing, but their text is black on black - at least on my display (not in the skitch)

post-97995-0-37497800-1372174326_thumb.p

Archived