(Archived) Journler to Evernote migration

pendolino

Idea

has anyone figured out how to easily move from Journler to Evernote? I'm trying to find a way to move my many Journler entries to Evernote.

Journler currently exports to XHTML or webarchive but Evernote does not support any of these as import types.

7 replies to this idea

Hey guys,

I did get the script to work for my notes, and at least one other Evernote user has used it successfully. It works, it just requires a little shell knowledge...and currently it uses the GNU date command (installed with fink) as opposed to the version that came with OS X. If I ever get more time to play with it I'll try to make it a little friendlier. For the time being, anyone who wants to give it a try can just contact me via the forum.

Dale

Hi folks:

I tried out Dale's script (Thank you, Dale!), but it seemed to lose the HTML formatting of my existing notes. Since all my notes are bulleted and indented, I have to have the formatting preserved. (There's a chance I just used his script wrong...)

Here's how I moved my Journler notes over. This approach will map Journler folders to Evernote notebooks, will preserve create & modification dates of your Journler entries, and preserves HTML formatting. The Journler category is NOT parsed out or mapped, nor are tags supported.

1. Export all Journler records, by Journler category and/or target Evernote notebook. For example, if you have a Journler folder called "Personal", select all entries and then choose: File / Export Selected Entries. You need to export the entries as "Rich Text", Include header, Set file creation date, Set file modification date, and "Save each entry ... in its own file all in a single folder." NB: The folder you save to will become the name of the Evernote notebook.

2. Launch Evernote, go into Preferences, and in the Clipping tab, temporarily disable: "Bring note to front", "Bounce dock icon" and "Play a sound". In the General tab, click on "Grown preferences" and temporarily disable Growl for Evernote. You can turn these settings back on after the import, but trust me -- if you import > 10 Journler entries, you will want these off.

3. Load the applescript below into Script Editor.app, and run it.

4. Pick the folder you exported your Journler entries to. Remember: the name of this folder becomes the name of the notebook in Evernote.

5. Run the script.

6. Rinse & repeat for your remaining Journler categories / notebooks.

7. Done!

You may want to consider using the export process from Journler as a way to remap your categories. If you export multiple Journler categories into the same output Folder, they will end up in the same Evernote notebook after import.

Code for the applescript below. There is no error checking, and standard disclaimers around ruining your existing Evernote records and formatting your hard drive apply.

set listOfNames to {}
set theFolder to choose folder "Select the source folder"

tell application "Finder"
set filelist to every file of the folder theFolder
repeat with currentFile in filelist
set currentFileName to (the name of currentFile)
set nom to currentFileName
if text -4 of nom is "." then
set currentFileName to (text 1 thru -5 of nom)
end if
set currentFileDate to (the creation date of currentFile)
set currentFileLocation to currentFile as alias
set currentFileFolder to (the name of theFolder)
tell application "Evernote"
create note title currentFileName created currentFileDate notebook currentFileFolder from file currentFileLocation
end tell
end repeat
end tell

just wanted to point to michael carusos applescript to convert journler entries to evernote notes: »Journler to Evernote Export« http://michaelcaruso.net/journler-to-evernote/

it does preserve creation/modification date, tags, categories and folders (which both become tags) etc

did work great for my 2000+ journler entries, although some things did not work:

• [*:1kl6otkg]wikilinks between journler entries — they obviously did not get updated but remained journler links
journler://entry/xyz
[*:1kl6otkg]aliases/links to directories: "encountered an error: 20. attachment parameter is a directory"
[*:1kl6otkg]"encountered an error: -1700. evernote got an error: can't make missing value into type file"
[*:1kl6otkg]malformed (well, at least for evernote) links: "encountered an error: -10000. evernote got an error: appleevent handler failed" — journler entries with such links did not get imported et all

• [*:1kl6otkg]eg
http://www.falter.at/web/wwei/detail.ph ... 26teil%3D1)#
[*:1kl6otkg]eg http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/028 ... .y=0&Go=Go
[*:1kl6otkg]eg http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/treffer ... E4rendreck

cudos to caruso

Archived