Tags not syncing across all devices

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

same problem here!

all notes present but tags not synced.

- Windows 7 + latest Evernote

- WebClient and EN on iOS are synced.

Those tags have only notes in local notebooks.

Could it be that tags that pertain only to local unsynced) notebooks are not synced either? It's possible, but I don't know whether that's behavior that I'd expect or want. Can't test this out at the moment; maybe you should try an experiment that applies one of these tags to a synced note, sync, and see if it appears on your other devices, then remove the tag and see if it then disappears after syncing.

jefito's remark "Could it be that tags that pertain only to local (unsynced) notebooks are not synced either?" hits the nail on the head I believe.

I had tag sync trouble and I reckon it was due to my creating the tag initially on a local-only note, and then using it on sync-able notes. I fixed it by deleting those tags, re-syncing from the server, and creating the tags on the synced notes and syncing everything first. Once the tag was "solid", I then added it to local-only notes.

By local-only I mean in a Local notebook.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Was this ever resolved? 

I just discovered the same issue, a couple tags that are not syncing properly.

I'm using the lastest version of EN, on Win7.

Same here. Just spent a half hour re-arranging notebooks and tags to find that the Win7 tags aren't syning to Android.

• Level 5*

Was this ever resolved? 

I just discovered the same issue, a couple tags that are not syncing properly.

I'm using the lastest version of EN, on Win7.

Same here. Just spent a half hour re-arranging notebooks and tags to find that the Win7 tags aren't syning to Android.
Have they been synced to the Evernote servers? Log in to the web client and see if they made it there.

I am having this problem as well.  My problem is that I reorganized and renamed about half of the 500 tags I have in Evernote.  I found that both my tag changes and the links I had made to my notes were not syncing from my windows 7 client to the server.  It scared the hell out of me because I probably spent close to 8 hours reorganizing my tags and re-tagging my notes.  Here is what I found created a fix: 

1. Rename the tag
  2. Sync - Fixes missing tags and incorrect names.
  3. Select notes and tag to new tag (like 'Fix')
  4. Sync - Updates missing tags on notes.

I think this might be just as simple as updating all notes with a new tag and then syncing.  I am trying to verify that now but my computer is going through some installs so I am blocked for a while.

I am having this problem as well.  My problem is that I reorganized and renamed about half of the 500 tags I have in Evernote.  I found that both my tag changes and the links I had made to my notes were not syncing from my windows 7 client to the server.  It scared the hell out of me because I probably spent close to 8 hours reorganizing my tags and re-tagging my notes.  Here is what I found created a fix: 

1. Rename the tag
  2. Sync - Fixes missing tags and incorrect names.
  3. Select notes and tag to new tag (like 'Fix')
  4. Sync - Updates missing tags on notes.

I think this might be just as simple as updating all notes with a new tag and then syncing.  I am trying to verify that now but my computer is going through some installs so I am blocked for a while.

I had to add a tag to all my notes then sync. That actually worked. But really?  Update every single note with a new tag?  Then remove the tag?  Tagging can get time consuming when you have a lot of notes and you apply something to all of them.  A user has to know and trust that sync will work.  I can do something on my desktop, such as tag an item, then try to  bring up items with that tag on my phone.  if that item doesn't show up, I may lose important business, or let someone down, or miss an appointment.

Evernote has a lot of nice features but syncing is at the top of the list.  Reliable sync is crucial.  This is why we use Evernote.  Because platform becomes a non-issue.

I hope someone tracks this down.  No user should be responsible for finding workarounds for functions that are advertised as part of the product.

• Level 5*

If you launch an exercise to reorganise or retag files at any stage I'd suggest for self-preservation that you always take a backup of the current status of the database first so you have a fallback in case something goes wrong.  And adding a tag to all notes is simple:

1. Exit Evernote via File > Exit and backup the database.  
  2. Restart Evernote. 
  3. In any note listing,  click select all
  4. Using the helper menu add the tag.
  5. sync
  6. In the tags listing delete the tag. 
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem: I have 42 notes on my desktop (Windows 7 PC) that have a praticular tab, but on my Android phone only 4 of the tags have synced - all of the notes are synced.  The notebook has always been syncable (never just local).  I have not checked for all tags or all notes: that would be so time-consuming it would make tagging utterly pointless!

• Level 5*

If you haven't already raised a support ticket (see below) I'd suggest that's the obvious next step..  random question: if you search in Android for one of the tags you think is missing (with "tag:xyz" - without the quotes) does your search work?  I'm wondering if the tags just aren't displayed for some reason,  or whether they don't exist at all in that index.

• 4 weeks later...

I also suddenly experienced this problem :(

Seems like Win7 Client is the bad guy (at least for me); Besides not syncing, some new labels are not possible to rename. so this is how I did;

For each label that does not sync a/o rename'ble(!) do this:

1. Filter out  the entries

2. Add a new label (pref. similar name but could be any)

3. Select all entries (that were filtered out)

4. For this right click (or similar) and choose "Tag Note"

5. Tic the new label and unstick the old

6. Delete old label (should be empty)

7. Sync

8. In the other device, rename the label to what you had before and resync

9. Now you should have again a resyncable environment (worked for me at least)

Although I certainly agree this is a major bug, affecting the products core functionality, and thus Evernote should fix pronto - this was a reasonable workaround I think (for now anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, apparently well known by EN folks

Planned migration from One Note to Evernote, as I liked that EN usability and multiplatform concept more than ON . Apparently, on paper.

Spent half day to reorganize all my notes (600) and rearranging Tags and so on. Then I discovered most of Tags and lot of notes (especially stacked notebooks) are not synching on the Web Server, and as a consequence are not synched on any other device.

I had to create new notebooks, move notes from here to there and now apparently notebooks are ok but still notes are untagged (and I "missed" couple of notes - note count is lower by 2, I don't know what I missed and why).

So the workaround above *might* work, but no way I will spend another day to untag and retag my 600 notes. Why should I implement crazy workarounds and have anyway a tool I don't trust as far as note synch is concerned?

This is one of the main features, if not THE flagship feature. I planned to migrate my office team members to EN, but I can't . So far I will switch back to One Note until Evernote works.

• Level 5*

I have the same problem, apparently well known by EN folks

Planned migration from One Note to Evernote, as I liked that EN usability and multiplatform concept more than ON . Apparently, on paper.

Spent half day to reorganize all my notes (600) and rearranging Tags and so on. Then I discovered most of Tags and lot of notes (especially stacked notebooks) are not synching on the Web Server, and as a consequence are not synched on any other device.

I had to create new notebooks, move notes from here to there and now apparently notebooks are ok but still notes are untagged (and I "missed" couple of notes - note count is lower by 2, I don't know what I missed and why).

So the workaround above *might* work, but no way I will spend another day to untag and retag my 600 notes. Why should I implement crazy workarounds and have anyway a tool I don't trust as far as note synch is concerned?

This is one of the main features, if not THE flagship feature. I planned to migrate my office team members to EN, but I can't . So far I will switch back to One Note until Evernote works.

Hi - I'm sorry the service doesn't work for you,  and I'm sure Evernote is investigating all reports - but if you don't raise a support ticket and work with the techs to fix your problem how will you know when it's safe to come back and try EN again?  I'm not saying you should use the service warts and all - but you have added 600 notes which is a good sample to work with.  If you use that as a test account you'll be able to try to fix the issue and maybe help everyone resolve this bug.

Apologies in advance if that's already what you're going to do,  but your post looked a lot like it was a parting shot,  rather than a continuing story...

I did open a support ticket. I am not saying farewell, if they work on that I'll be glad to support.

What I am saying is that I am not very confident in the synch, and cannot really retag manually all my stuff.

My plan is to wait for tech_support feedback and eventually try later EN releases once they are out if some bug fix on synch is planned.

I'd love to move from ON to EN, once this is fixed.

Hello, everyone, first post. I recently watched the videos on thesecretweapon.org showing how great Evernote is at implementing the Getting Things Done system. So I followed the instructions step-by-step using Evernote desktop on my Windows 7 system. Among other things, I renamed my default notebook to "Action Pending" and created multiple tags. I created about a dozen notes with various tags.

Like others have said, most of the changes I've made have not been reflected on the server side. My default notebook did not get renamed, and most, but not all, of the tags do not appear on Evernote Web. A few tags did make it, along with all of the notes. I hit "sync" several times over several days, but the issue has not resolved itself.

I've already submitted a support ticket and received an automated reply, but it's been five days with no follow-up email from the support team.

The questions I seek answers to are

1) How long does the support team typically take to respond to a non-premium query, and

2) Are there others on this forum who have had this same problem, and had it fixed? I mean by the support team, not by a do-it-yourself workaround.

Thanks very much.

• Level 5*

Hello, everyone, first post. I recently watched the videos on thesecretweapon.org showing how great Evernote is at implementing the Getting Things Done system. So I followed the instructions step-by-step using Evernote desktop on my Windows 7 system. Among other things, I renamed my default notebook to "Action Pending" and created multiple tags. I created about a dozen notes with various tags.

Like others have said, most of the changes I've made have not been reflected on the server side. My default notebook did not get renamed, and most, but not all, of the tags do not appear on Evernote Web. A few tags did make it, along with all of the notes. I hit "sync" several times over several days, but the issue has not resolved itself.

I've already submitted a support ticket and received an automated reply, but it's been five days with no follow-up email from the support team.

The questions I seek answers to are

1) How long does the support team typically take to respond to a non-premium query, and

2) Are there others on this forum who have had this same problem, and had it fixed? I mean by the support team, not by a do-it-yourself workaround.

Thanks very much.

Hi

TSW isn't connected with Evernote (AFAIK) and the videos/ instructions on site don't necessarily correctly reflect the current versions of the product,  so you shouldn't expect to be able to follow the TSW processes exactly in your own account.  That said,  if what they're describing is to do with tagging and notebooks,  the EN process hasn't changed much.

There are some known issues with tags and your best bet is probably to go through this with support.  It's difficult to answer your questions because

1. Premium users get priority attention on faults - free users come second;  which normally means within a couple of working days after you receive a ticket number.  There was however a major outage in the last 48 hours which probably generated a lot of tickets,  so there may be some delay.
  2. We deal in DIY workarounds here so I can't tell you whether fixes have been applied or to whom - support is your best source for that.

When you do get a fix please come back and tell us - it may save someone else a little research.  If you're still stuck,  please post your ticket number here - we can get someone to have a look at it...

Whilst its not really a solution I found when I logged into evernote.com the tags in question were not there. Pressing the sync button on the windows app did not help so I just re-created the faulty tag online...

1. I changed the name of the faulty tag on windows so it kept all the associated notes together.

2. Create the tag online.

3. Tag appeared on my PC in a few seconds.

4. Drag the notes onto the new tag.

5. Delete the original faulty tag.

I dont intent on adding too many tags once I have it set-up... I think when it comes to tags 'less is more'.... Too many tags freaks me out..!! :unsure:  

• 1 month later...

I'm a premium user and I am having the same issue. The problem is that I spent hours of time creating tags and tagging notes in my Windows machine and I cannot tell what has synced and what has not. It would have been extremely helpful to know about this problem, which EN has known about for some time now. I submitted a ticket Ticket# 668435, but have not heard back yet. 

I suppose Mr. Libin's promise to "fix this" (i.e., the software bugs, the lack of responsiveness, the lack of transparency) has not been implemented since his Jan 4th open letter: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/04/on-software-quality/. 

Has anyone that has submitted tickets in the past ever received a satisfactory response on this issue?

• Level 5*

This thread lists several suggested tests and a few users have reported resolutions.  It's a relatively recent issue which may or may not be due to a bug.  Have you tried any of the tests and fixes listed so far?  We can maybe offer some more suggestions if you explain your problems in more detail.  Meantime if you're a free user,  support seems quite backed up - you may have to wait several working days for a response.  If you're premium,  you could try the chat service available via the support page.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, from the land down under (where things take a little longer to ripen). I had the same problem, but out of about 90 tags, it was 20 or so that did not sync from the Win7 installation up to Evernote's servers and then down to all my devices. 

I suspect (and I will be reporting as much to EN technical support) that my problem stems from syncing issues arising during that short of period of time when I was bringing all of my devices online. Tags created whilst six other platforms (2 Android, 2 iOs and 2 Mac) were doing their initial sync did not sync up from the Win7 machine to the cloud. The lesson I learned was this:

*  do not perform any platform "adds" until the first batch of notes is written into a main system (in my case, the Win7 machine) and only after you have checked the server to confirm that all tags are residing there. 

Does that make sense? 

Adelaide Joe

Whilst its not really a solution I found when I logged into evernote.com the tags in question were not there. Pressing the sync button on the windows app did not help so I just re-created the faulty tag online...

1. I changed the name of the faulty tag on windows so it kept all the associated notes together.

2. Create the tag online.

3. Tag appeared on my PC in a few seconds.

4. Drag the notes onto the new tag.

5. Delete the original faulty tag.

I dont intent on adding too many tags once I have it set-up... I think when it comes to tags 'less is more'.... Too many tags freaks me out..!! :unsure:  

I'm using windows 7 and had the same problem as people in this thread. This post fixed it for me, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is kinda similar to the fix above but doesn't involve opening Evernote in the browser.

In my case, tags were all correct & present on that one computer but missing everywhere else (another computer & an android phone)

Here's what I did:

On the computer with the correct tags:

1. Make sure you're online
  2. right click the tag in the right menu and "Rename" your tag (ex. missingtag to missingtag_1) (this just acts as a placeholder while we fix some things)
  3. sync
  4. select all the notes in your new tag (ctrl+A)
  5. add the original tag back to all of them
  6. sync
  7. delete the place holder tag (ex. in our case, missingtag_1)
  8. sync

That did it for me. Not sure if all the syncs are necessary, its just what I did.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

@joenib, thank you so much!  This method worked very well for me.  It took an hour or two to do all the tag renaming and syncing, but better than reentering tags on a few thousand notes. Support told me that the tag problem is now a known issue and that it will be fixed in a future release. Meanwhile, I just won't create new tags using the windows app since everything seems to sync and update compatibly once the online version is aware of the tag name.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem as well - it is very annoying. i have recently imported all my notebooks from OneNote, and randomly, some of the tags are not there. Doesn't seem to be consistent. 

Having read all the reports of everyone fawning over tagging methodology vs folder structure, I've jumped in with both feed, and been very careful and comprehensive with my tagging. To find that this hasn't been uploaded correctly and that effectively half my tags are duff and i have to find the duff ones and replace them all - that is very annoying indeed! It would be nice to see someone from Evernote acknowledging this as a known fault at the very least - it can't be anything other than a bug. 

I am a premium member, I have logged this with support number 768551, and am waiting to hear what they say. did anyone else with this problem get a resolution or a workaround?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem for me: win 7 computer synced (100% verified so), still win 8 computer as well as android device only having "imported" a few tags (approx. 20% of the defined tags) as well as only tagged a few notes (maybe 20% of the notes that was originally tagged with any of those 20% tags imported).

Awaiting solution.

BR

Daniel

I had a reply to say that it is a known bug, but no indication of when it will be fixed. 

I have solved this problem to my satisfaction, although I'll warn you it is a tedious process. Set aside an hour or two. Here's what I did:

• Load up evernote desktop (on the machine that all the tags are present) on one side of the screen, and evernote web on the other. 
  • Show all tags in a long list, on both. (Line them up next to each other if you can)
  • Cross reference tags on desktop software with those shown online
  • Start a new note on Evernote web. Tag it with a new tag for each tag that is missing online, using the tag name with a suitable suffix (like new). ie Garden-new
  • Sync these back to the desktop software. 
  • In the desktop software, add all these duplicate tags to the notes that have the original tag name (ie add garden-new to all notes that are tagged garden). It's pretty quick to do.
  • Once this is done you are sorted, and everything will sync correctly going forward.
  • Once you can be bothered, go through and delete the tags with the original names (and then sync)
  • Only then, delete -new from all the tag names, if you can be bothered. 

it seems that creating the tags online makes certain that they will be synced correctly. It is certainly the tags that original on Evernote Desktop for Windows 7 that sometimes don't sync. 

• 3 weeks later...

@ RichardPD I have the same issue for some days. It won't sync a special tag I made to sort my christmas cookie list. It synced 21 of the 121 notes with the special tag but no matter what I do it won't do the rest of the 121. Funny I can make a new note with this tag and it will sync that note's tag fine.
I am hoping I can resolve this since I want to be able to use my kindle to work through this list to bake some cookies soon.
I followed your instruction but it did not work for me.
On another point how does one sync the web client if there is no sync button? I just refreshed the page and it didn't sync it, so I then used the PC desktop app to sync it. So I got this note with the new tag on my desktop app. applied thee tag to the list and synced it, but it won't show up on the web client.
This is not just an issue with the windows 7 because I use windows 8.

I'll take it back. It did work after some tweaking. I used the * as a tag on my desktop version and it seems like it wasn't able to sync this anymore, after the first 21 notes with this tag. So I  renamed the tag to "cookie list". then i made a "cookie list-new" tag on the web client with the new note and refreshed it. Miraceously it then synced the new tag I made online "cookie list-new" to the desktop client. I added that tag to all the notes and it synced all notes, with both tags to the web client. I synced my kindle as well and it's there.
then I gave the notes the original tag * , they now had 3 tags, synced again but this tag would not sync. I tried others like !, ?, # and none worked.  I then figured maybe if I make this tag on the web client, attach it to all the synced cookie list notes, maybe it will sync then. And it did, also synced to the kindle
I synced it all from the desk-top client. I think I should be able to remove the "cookie list tags"  and it should keep syncing. I hope

I wanted to use the * so it would bring the cookie list tag to the very top of all my tags for quicker access.
Happy that it worked so thanks for the work around

but I sure hope they fix that soon, it's such a pain and waste of time to have to tweak. I mean as a prime member I pay for this, I shouldn't have to tweak it

It is clearly not high on the list of things to fix, which is supprising, cause tags are one of the main reasons people use EN.

I went through stages most of the people here did. I use Win7 and Android clients and had problems with tags syncing. I had to manually go through creating a second tag in the web client for each tag missing, assigning it to notes in the Win7 client and making sure the numbers match (some notes were missing as well). I wasted hours in the process. Initially I experienced problems with tags created on Win7 with special chars, but later on discovered I'm missing tags without special chars as well.

I'm looking for alternatives to EN cause the problem is not solved and I can no longer trust my notes are saved properly. I'm not saying this to whine, but to make people aware that the problem persists even after the manuall sync. It's not solved, it's just a manual workaround.

@EN please, please, don't say "Synchronization complete" when it is not.

• 4 weeks later...

I should have checked this forum BEFORE reorganising my EN according to some advise :  use tags in stead of note books   

I rearanged my 4000+! notes during half a day and now I'm in the middle of sh*t.

I carefully added tags to notebooks (notebook name) and some more and then moved all note to a single "for reference" only notebook. I really thought this was smart (as a solution). And since EN calls the tagging as a important feature, weel I trusted!! on EN to have that under control.

for now:  DO NOT ADD/change A LOT OF TAGS IN ONE TIME WITHOUT CHECKING EACH STEP ON EVERY DEVICE/PLATFORM

I made a backup, but how to install the backup without having the same situation again over platforms (android, w8 mobile, W8pro, w7pro)

Now I'm really really disappointed after being premium since 2011, money paid for....nothing apparantly: my system is a mess now

I dont think EN has syncing and tagging mastered at all

*mad*

I'm going to make a ticket but I dont even trust the "answer" likely to be: "put back the back-up"

Was thinking about switching to premium but now this has me wondering.... I just noticed that my Win 7 machine that I've always used isn't sync'ing with the server so when I tried installing EN on a different Win7 system, the tags were messed up. This pretty much means I won't be using it on a different device until this is fixed as I can't worry about if my tag filters are showing all the info.

* Sigh *

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem. To sync the all not-synced tags , I did this and it helped :

1 - On my windows software , rename all my tags (I found it harder to find just the tags have not been synced ) like this : "tag" to "tag*"

2 - Sync

3 - Sync my android phone and see that all renamed tags has come.

4- On my windows sofware again, renamed all may tags to their original name like this : "tag*" to "tag"

5 - Sync

6 - Sync my android phone and see that all my original tags has come.

Some tags are not syncing for me either. Seems random which ones are not.

This means that Evernote unfortunately is completely useless for me. If I can't trust that the tags and notes I put in one place sync properly then the software is useless (since that is the whole point I am using it).

Spend a lot of time setting up my tags today only to find everything was a complete waste of time. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

IMO, this is another of the major issues/bugs that needs priority attention from Evernote.  The other big issue is sync of Notes.  Perhaps they are related -- I don't know.  But ALL forms of sync (Notes, Tags, Notebooks, Saved Searches, etc) MUST be rock-solid for Evernote to be a useful tool for us.

If we can't absolutely rely on sync, then how can we trust Evernote ???

If you are experiencing this issue, then I highly recommend that, if you have not already, you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but you might try creating a new Note (maybe name it "All Tags Sync Note") in a Sync'd Notebook using the EN Web client, and then assign all of your Tags to that Note.  Then sync the Web (refresh?) followed with a sync all of your other EN clients.

Until Evernote issues a fix for this issue, you may need to first create all of your Tags using EN Web and assign them to this special purpose Note.  I know that is a pain in the a$$, but it might be the least painful work-around until the issue is fixed.

Good luck to all, and let's keep the pressure on Evernote to get this fixed ASAP.

Good luck to all, and let's keep the pressure on Evernote to get this fixed ASAP.

There's only one way to "pressure" Evernote and that's to take away their revenue.  Don't pay for a premium acct and, if you already have one, convert to a free acct.

IMO, this is another of the major issues/bugs that needs priority attention from Evernote.  The other big issue is sync of Notes.  Perhaps they are related -- I don't know.  But ALL forms of sync (Notes, Tags, Notebooks, Saved Searches, etc) MUST be rock-solid for Evernote to be a useful tool for us.

If you are experiencing this issue, then I highly recommend that, if you have not already, you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but you might try creating a new Note (maybe name it "All Tags Sync Note") in a Sync'd Notebook using the EN Web client, and then assign all of your Tags to that Note.  Then sync the Web (refresh?) followed with a sync all of your other EN clients.

Until Evernote issues a fix for this issue, you may need to first create all of your Tags using EN Web and assign them to this special purpose Note.  I know that is a pain in the a$$, but it might be the least painful work-around until the issue is fixed.

The Windows platform has been extremely unreliable in terms of notebook names, tags, sorting and syncing for the past few months.  The only good news is that the problems do not seem to damage or destroy any of the information on the other platforms.  My tags and notebook names appear in seemingly random order on the Windows platform.  This has been the case for all updates since November.  Support says they are working on it, but it always comes down to "wait for the next update and see if that fixes the problems".  

The Windows platform has been extremely unreliable in terms of notebook names, tags, sorting and syncing for the past few months.  The only good news is that the problems do not seem to damage or destroy any of the information on the other platforms.  My tags and notebook names appear in seemingly random order on the Windows platform.  This has been the case for all updates since November.  Support says they are working on it, but it always comes down to "wait for the next update and see if that fixes the problems".  

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Evernote seems to take a perverse delight in giving its users the middle finger.  It's been about 2.5 years since CEO Libin promised recurring reminders.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hye, i have the same problem with tag sync. Two of my tags aren't properly synced from windows to android devices :'( ... How can i fix it ??

The standard work-around seems to be:  change the tag names - add an extra character or something - and sync;  then change back and sync.  The fact that there has been some movement in the set-up seems to trick the system into getting up to date.

Thank your very much Gazumped !!! Do we know where does this bug come from ? I've done the following : renaming-syncing-renaming to old name-syncing. My notes weren't within the tag, so i put all of them out of it and back in it after and it worked perfectly !!! ;)

Edit : i've seen that i had notes that were'nt tageed properly (for example a tag had 40 items, but on my android device it had only 5 items. Is this the same problem ???

• Level 5*

Assuming everything has been synced, if you don't have 35 notes in local notebooks, then there is a tag/note issue of some sort.  You can do some detective work by adding a dummy tag to the 40 notes, sync on both devices, and search the android to see what you get.

Assuming everything has been synced, if you don't have 35 notes in local notebooks, then there is a tag/note issue of some sort.  You can do some detective work by adding a dummy tag to the 40 notes, sync on both devices, and search the android to see what you get.

In fact i took the notes out of the tag, and then put them back in, and it was all perfectly synced. I don't think the tag/note had problems by themselves ?!

• Level 5*

Good way to do it as well, as long as you can remember the notes.  This problem appears from time to time (it has happened to me as well), you could submit a trouble ticket.  

And it is irritating because you are never quite sure if ALL of your tags are applied and synced correctly, even if it is .00001% that aren't.  

Good way to do it as well, as long as you can remember the notes.  This problem appears from time to time (it has happened to me as well), you could submit a trouble ticket.  

And it is irritating because you are never quite sure if ALL of your tags are applied and synced correctly, even if it is .00001% that aren't.  

Thank you very much Csihilling. In fact i created a "temporary" tag espacially for that. I put all the notes that aren't synced well in it, then remove from them the tag that is not synced.

I put it back and then remove the "temporary" tag, and everything works weel.

Is it worth it to put a ticket for such a problem ? How can i do it ?

• Level 5*

I would encourage everyone who has experienced this bug to report it as a bug via an EN Support Ticket.

The more users that report it the more pressure will be upon Evernote to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I just sent a bug report via the link you gave me. I tried to make it as detailed as possible, but i'm not very fluent in english ^^'. Let's hope they'll fix it soon !!

Thanks for your help guys, have a good day !!

• Level 5*

It was that time again so I checked the web note counts vs PC note counts.  10 more notes on the PC than the web, all missing in my main synced notebook.  

So I added the tag "Temporary" to all notes in that notebook and synced.  It takes a while to sync 14k notes from the PC, but I noticed, hadn't watched before, that there is also a lag in the updates in the web interface.  It was a good 10 minutes after the PC stopped syncing before the web was "current" with the notebook note count and the "Temporary" tag note count.  I just thought it would have been more real time.  Not so in my case for a large number of updates.  

Anyway, when the server caught up all note counts were back in sync so the 10 notes got moved to the server.  Now going about deleting the "Temporary" tag.  Going to submit a ticket but who knows how things got out of sync.

• Level 5*

This is really scaring me.  I rely a lot on Tags many times a day.  I don't use the EN Web client much, but I do use multiple Macs, iPads, and iPhone, all daily.   Data integrity is #1 with me.  It's like seeing an accounting error in your financial statements or bank accounts.  As soon as you find one error, it makes you wonder about the whole report.  :angry:

This is indeed scary !! I have no very important data on Evernote, but i rely on it on my laptops, phones, tablets. I only noticed the tag syncing problem, as my note count is correct. I almost never use Evernote web client, so i didn't noticed any lag too... Hope they'll fix it too !!

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm a new Evernote user, and can confirm that this issue still exists. I had a lengthy support request, and the final (and very unsatisfying) conclusion was that there is nothing I can do other than accept this is an ongoing issue. The support stafff just said that the engineering team is working on it, but that there is no ETA for a fix. Given that this issue goes back to 2013, I won't be holding my breath.

However while I was doing a manual check between Evernote Windows and Evernote web, I found a nifty solution to force a tag sync. I estimate that about 20% of tags on my Windows Evernote had tags that either didn't exist on the web, or were not fully tagged on the web. By that I mean tag1 might show 20 notes on the Windows client, but only 3 notes on the web one. To fix this I was manually editing each note (entering a space, for example), and this generally forced the tag to sync. But it was slow going. So I worked this out instead:

1. Log-in to Evernote web.
  2. Create a new tag (e.g. temp1) on Evernote web.
  3. On Windows Evernote, select a bunch of notes that have some issue with tags. Alternatively, just select all your notes.
  4. Add the temporary tag to those notes.
  5. Press sync.
  6. Refresh Evernote web and see if it has fixed the issue.
  7. If not, create a new tag (temp2) and apply it again.
  8. Repeat the sync and refresh.

I had some good success with this. It didn't robustly fix all issues first time, but I was able to mass update 100 notes or more at a time using this method. In future when I want to force a tag sync I will just apply temp1 to all of my notes, and then go through my hierarchy of tags, comparing between Windows Evernote and the web one, and check how successful it was.

::rant:: By the way, this really sucks. It also sucks how printing still doesn't work nicely in Windows, again years after the original issues have been reported. ::/rant::

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, oldmankit said:

However while I was doing a manual check between Evernote Windows and Evernote web, I found a nifty solution to force a tag sync. I estimate that about 20% of tags on my Windows Evernote had tags that either didn't exist on the web, or were not fully tagged on the web. By that I mean tag1 might show 20 notes on the Windows client, but only 3 notes on the web one.

I've not experienced this - maybe its one of the Windows only features :)

I've always considered the web platform to be the "master" copy of my data, and this is sync'd to my devices.
I've done frequent rebuilds on my devices from the Evernote servers, and not noticed a problem

So far, I've not seen this problem, all my devices show the same tags (but I've only spot checked this)
I would be very concerned that my devices have different tags

• Level 5*

@oldmankit

Yeah, this does bite.  This hasn't happened to me in a while, but you hit the solution on the head, add a tag and sync and then delete the tag.  Never was able to determine what sequence of events caused it whenever it did happen.  Thank goodness free form search was there when I was pretty sure I had a note I couldn't find via tags.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, pacifico450 said:

Just want to chime in and say that I noticed this problem on my account today. I don't have time to read through all the posts about this ongoing issue. What a joke that EN can't figure out a solution.

I think the problem is that Evernote can't figure out a cause.  Meantime there are work-arounds,  and you could always raise a support request...

• 2 weeks later...

Really disheartening to read that an issue I'm experiencing now has been ongoing for 3 years! Quite appalling.  liking evernote however if this is the consistent approach to bug fixing perhaps its not wise for me to continue.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, wbutchart said:

Really disheartening to read that an issue I'm experiencing now has been ongoing for 3 years! Quite appalling.  liking evernote however if this is the consistent approach to bug fixing perhaps its not wise for me to continue.

If you're having this specific problem I'd recommend you contact support directly - several people here have pointed out that they're not experiencing any issues,  and Evernote may already consider this problem fixed.  If you can supply your system details and more information about your setup, you will be able to help support fix your specific situation.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the most annoying bug in Evernote, one that Evernote just doesn't seem to give a darn about. I have experienced this problem for years and it still isn't fixed. What I do is I just rename tags with the same sames. That often does the trick. Just do it again and hope the server will recognize a tag waving at it for attention. Really, if this isn't fixed, tags mean nothing, and without tags, Evernote is not what it's cracked up to be. Fix this immediately Evernote.

Archived