Link from one note to another?

• Level 5

Yes.

In the Evernote Windows client, right-click on the title in the Note List panel and select "Copy Note Link"

Then paste it into the new note. You can also embed the link into some text if you want to.

Same instructions for the Mac client.

If you're using the web client though, you'll want to go to the share icon in the top right corner of a note.  From there you can select the Link option.  Paste that into another note and you should be golden.

Web%20Client%20Share%20Menu.png

If you're using the web client though, you'll want to go to the share icon in the top right corner of a note. From there you can select the Link option. Paste that into another note and you should be golden.

Sharing via a URL is not the same as linking to a note. If someone has the note link, they cannot view the note unless they are logged into that EN account. And when you click the link, in the note, the linked to note opens in the desktop client, just like any other note. However, when sharing via a URL, when clicking on the link, the note is opened in a browser window & anyone with that link can view the note.

IOW, note link requires being logged into that EN account to view the note. Sharing is just that...you're sharing the note to the world...anyone with that URL can view the note.

If you're using the web client though, you'll want to go to the share icon in the top right corner of a note. From there you can select the Link option. Paste that into another note and you should be golden.

Sharing via a URL is not the same as linking to a note. If someone has the note link, they cannot view the note unless they are logged into that EN account. And when you click the link, in the note, the linked to note opens in the desktop client, just like any other note. However, when sharing via a URL, when clicking on the link, the note is opened in a browser window & anyone with that link can view the note.

IOW, note link requires being logged into that EN account to view the note. Sharing is just that...you're sharing the note to the world...anyone with that URL can view the note.

BNF:

Thanks for the clarification.

If Dommyt is using the web client though, I'm not sure they have another option.

Dommyt:

If you're not using a Desktop version, I highly recommend it.  The Note Links feature sounds like it's exactly what you need, and you get the benefit of the links being only visible to your account.  The web version doesn't allow you to create Note Links in the same way.  If you create them in the desktop client though, they do become available in the web version.  You just can't create them there.  Here's a link to the blog with a tip on creating a table of contents using Note Links: 

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/04/13/quick-tip-create-a-table-of-contents-using-note-links/

BNF:

Thanks for the clarification.

If Dommyt is using the web client though, I'm not sure they have another option.

They may not have another option, but it's important to understand the difference between the note link option & the sharing option for the reasons I stated above.  IE, if someone uses the web client on a public computer & leaves the shared url in the clipboard, the next person using the computer can access that note. 

Thank you so much for the replies everyone. Very Helpful. I'm on a Mac and I use the desktop version. Now that you guys have pointed out how to do it, it's very easy! Loving Evernote more and more every day. 

• 1 month later...

Yes.

In the Evernote Windows client, right-click on the title in the Note List panel and select "Copy Note Link"

Then paste it into the new note. You can also embed the link into some text if you want to.

how can you embed the link into some text pleeeeaaase!!!

• 2 months later...

So everyone I am using iOS and I use to use this function all the time for my classes in school. I made an index for each class and it was very useful. I would place a link in the text. For example Test Review 1 was a note that I would create for my test review. On my index I would add a link labeled Test Review 1. With the new release of iOS 7 this function appears to have disappeared. I can still add a link on my Index to Test Review 1 but it is now the entire link, not the words Test Review 1, so now my index is ugly! Any ideas?

See the screenshot, you will see hyperlinks added before the latest update and links added since then.

• 3 months later...

I very much like the note linking feature; it makes Evernote function a little more like a personal wiki.

However, I think the usability of this feature could be improved significantly, based on my experience using Confluence.  I hope the Evernote product managers will take a look at how this is done in Confluence with the command-K shortcut.  Users are not required to copy the link before editing the content; instead without any foreknowledge, can create a link by type command-K and a dialog appears prompting the user to search for the destination. The '[' shortcut is also useful in Confluence.

When content linking becomes easier and more intuitive, many Evernote users will adopt the feature and love the product even more. It fits the "Evernote as brain extension" model, by encouraging associations between "thoughts" (Evernote notes).

• 4 months later...

Is there a way to translate the evernote:// links to its URL equivalent?

This should be actually done by the web-client itself, it should automatically convert all evernote:// links into URLs.

Programming-wise, this is easy.

Default behaviour is to paste https:// links to locations outside of Evernote, so by default it does what you are asking for.

Another (slightly different in end result, technically) way to do this is to, with the note selected, use the share menu to copy a 'public' share link that will be https://

• 6 months later...

Wiki-like support would be enormously helpful.  Surrounding a word/phrase

in [braces] should immediately provide a link to an existing note named "braces"

or else a link that would create the note when clicked.

This feature would make Evernote way easier to use and expand the

ability of the app to hold more info and make it much more accessible.

Archived