(Archived) Business Library usage

I am setting up EverNote for my business and am looking at having a Notebook for each of our 1,000 odd clients into which any staff member can read and add notes.

Would it be appropriate to create the 1,000 notebooks in the business library and as any staff member needs access to a clients notes would access the notebook form the library and then leave the notebook when that client job is complete. Any user would generally have no more than 10 client notebooks synced from the business library at any time with most notebooks in the business library not being synced to anyone.

From what I can see, if a user leaves a business notebook without sharing it to the business library or another user, there is no way to access it again.

Is the business library the best way to share notebooks that anyone in the business can access but not need constant access to?

FYI I believe there is a 250 notebook limit, even for businesses.  I am not 100% certain though, so someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it really sounds like you're trying to get EN to do something that's just not a very good use case scenario for it.  If you want track notes on 1000 customers, use a CRM program that's meant for that.   Mayeb something like Highrise (www.highrisehq.com)?  I think you've already idendtified several issues yourself that make what you want to do impractical with EN.  I normally wouldn't post on EN's forum telling someone to look at something else, but in this instance I don't think EN will work for you.  YMMV

I have looked at Highrise, Batchbook and others but they miss the flexibility of Evernote and focus too much on things my business doesn't need. Evernote could fit so easily into our workflow but perhaps you are right about Evenote not being the right fit either.

With the notebook limit, I saw that for individual accounts but never saw a limit mentioned for the business library. I also figured with our 10+ users that we would have enough 250 limits to share around. Does that 250 notebook limit apply to the business library?

Hi Mforcer,

If you look at this thread from 'gbarry' you can see it says 250 personal Notebooks and 250 shared/joined Notebooks.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37792-evernote-business-webinar-recap-5313/

I am not sure what would happen if you had multiple users who each shared say 250 Notebooks to the business library, but will see if we can get an answer for you.

Best regards

Chris

I am still looking to have each user with less than 250 joined notebooks. Most notebooks in the business library would have no users joined but the business library notebooks would be available to be joined. I hope the restriction is just to prevent an overload of syncing by any single user and there is no reason a user can't create more than 250 notebooks shared through the business library but no longer joined/synced.

I have sent a request to support for clarrification on the limit for the business library.

• Level 5*

I am still looking to have each user with less than 250 joined notebooks. Most notebooks in the business library would have no users joined but the business library notebooks would be available to be joined. I hope the restriction is just to prevent an overload of syncing by any single user and there is no reason a user can't create more than 250 notebooks shared through the business library but no longer joined/synced.

I have sent a request to support for clarrification on the limit for the business library.

Let us know what you hear! This is my guess (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169) for what it is worth: 250 personal ones, 250 joined ones, and access to see all 5,000 Business Library notebooks for each user in a Business account.

A user could conceivable create all 5,000 notebooks for the Business Library, as long as they deleted them from their personal account before reaching the maximum of 250 (maybe creating 250, deleting them, creating 250 more, and so on, and so forth). 

I think the 250 limit is there in order to make sure the databases for individual accounts operate well, because I don't think they would run smoothly with 5,000 notebooks.

The response from Evernote support;

So the overall limit per Evernote Business account are 5'000 notebooks. The 250 notebook limit per user is for notebooks they join not create. So if someone creates notebooks and publishes these to the business library this goes towards the 5'000 notebook limit of the account and there would be no influence if they'd leave the account at any point.

My original understanding seems to be correct. Now just need a way to search through 5,000 notebooks without joining.

dspapps, that is a very good point about sync times and I would expect mixed use between the Windows and web clients. Eventually we should move to web client only as we move away from our current Exchange/Outlook environment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived