(Archived) Unable to synchronise between phone and computer running Windows 8 & IE10

I have a new computer which came installed with Evernote so I registered my name and password.  I downloaded the app to my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini this morning and created some notes.  (I also went back and updated the app).

Since then I have been unable to sync phone and computer.  I am running Windows 10 and Internet Explorer 10.

I have managed to sync notes with old computer running Windows XP and IE8 so should I assume this is not compatible with either Windows 10 or IE10 in which case Evernote isn't going to be much good to me ?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not sure if I have been in hibernation, but thought Windows 8 was the newest version!

Did you sync the phone?

Go on the computer and look at your account on the web. If your Notes are there then they should be on the Windows software.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the welcome

Oops - I work on 4 different computers and mixed up the IEs and the Windows!. Yes am running Windows 8! 

Have now, after pushing various buttons and switching on and off managed to get it to sync but I just cannot see the same preferences which show on my phone and XP computer.  There is no digital icon for speech, web clips or camera icon.  I can't view the notes in a list - in fact can hardly see anything as it is shown in XP.

I realise Windows 8 shows the screen in a different way but I do expect to be able to use Evernote in the same way whatever I use.

Any suggestions - I am new to Windows 8 which is very different so I might be missing something

Thank goodness for that! Thought I had missed something important!

Anyway, I think all you are probably missing is the 'tools' bar bit.

Just click on the pen/pencil in the tool bar and all should hopefully be revealed.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris

Still a definite no! The only time I see the pencil is when I am on the get started page and then clicking on that shows some grey text in italic which says something about text in rich text format etc.... If I click on the I get an X which then closes that message - nothing else.

The bottom of the page says Evernote preview which I can't change.  Am wondering whether I should uninstall this version and reinstall.

Hi Sheila,

First thing, I have changed the title so as not to confuse anyone else!

I realised that I may have misunderstood your problem.

You are looking at the web version of Evernote?

For me the web version has the pencil as described.

The software version has all the icons shown at the top of the Note.

If it is on the web then it obviously won't make any difference if you uninstall.

I am using Chrome on Windows 8 but have just fired up IE and it is the same.

The only thing I can think is to re boot your computer.

If that doesn't work then I will point out the problem to some of the other Evangelists.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for changing heading - I looked at doing but couldn't see how once I started posting.

Not using web version - just logged in on Google Chrome and very different to what I am seeing. I have a version which enables me to uninstall from the home screen I(but doesn't show in the control panel to uninstall or change programmes) and also allowed me to update the version which has given me something slightly different but still not the full version.

I now have a small toolbar at the top of the page: All Notes / Notebooks / Tags

I also have a toolbar at the bottom of the page Sort / Sync / New Photo / New Note

Nothing else. No pencil icon now but I don't seem to find anything else to click on to get the full preferences. Have rebooted twice now.

Hi Sheila,

I am a bit confused. (Not difficult!) You say you are not using the web version but then mention logging on to Google Chrome? You can shut all your browsers down and run the software from the computer.

Let me know if you are doing this to stop any more confusion.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I have a new computer which came installed with Evernote so I registered my name and password. I downloaded the app to my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini this morning and created some notes. (I also went back and updated the app).

Since then I have been unable to sync phone and computer. I am running Windows 10 and Internet Explorer 10.

I have managed to sync notes with old computer running Windows XP and IE8 so should I assume this is not compatible with either Windows 10 or IE10 in which case Evernote isn't going to be much good to me ?

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you are using two clients: Evernote on Windows 8 and Evernote on Android.

Evernote on the Web would be accessed through a browser like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

All three clients (Windows, Android, and Web) share the same core features, but have very different interfaces, and some different capabilities. If you tell us exactly what you are trying to do, we can help out more.

• Level 5*

OK. We've got it worked out now.

Basically, I think the OP's problem came down to Windows 8, which has a steep learning curve. They were very patient in trying to get Evernote on W8 working well, but I agree that it is quite an abrupt change from XP!

For those of you in the same boat, there is a nice manual here http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/windows8/ or you can just install Evernote on your Windows 8 desktop (don't ask me to explain why there are two interfaces in one operating system) just like you always have by going to the Evernote site and downloading the regular Windows version (not the "touch" one for W8).

From what I can see there is a pre installed version which appears to be what the OP had. 

Once the version from Evernote was installed all was well.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

From what I can see there is a pre installed version which appears to be what the OP had. 

Once the version from Evernote was installed all was well.

Best regards

Chris

Yes, but the installed one was the "touch" version optimized for Windows 8, so it uses a totally different design language. It wasn't so much the installed version that was the problem, but the totally different operating system it was made to use -- all apps optimized for W8 are going to have the same mystery meat navigation.

The OP downloaded the Evernote version for the desktop (Windows 8, but not really), and then got back to the regular interface. 

I took the decision to not have a touch screen on my new laptop with Windows 8 installed. Having had a very expensive touch screen laptop, I found it more of a hindrance.

So I installed the desktop version from the first day.

However, looking through that video you linked to, I would say it looks a neat package. Obviously some limitations, but like everything, you would learn to work with it. What would be great is to have that version, but be able to switch between the two.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Just spotted I did have it installed on my new laptop, but didn't notice it! Just trying to fire it up for a look see!

Regards

Chris

Hahaha. Welcome to Windows 8, which is full of secrets :)

I'm not a fan of touch screens, but Windows 8 does work better with them, so... I guess I'll get one someday. Maybe. 

Archived