(Archived) Evernote Desktop for Windows

dguillaume

Does anyone know when the next version of the Windows Desktop client is going to be released? This is getting ridiculous now, every other platform has seen a major update and now has reminder support except Windows Desktop, which must have the largest user base. 

Please can someone let us know what is going on.  If there is not a update soon i will have to serously look into alternatives such as Google. 

Thanks

David

Considering every other platform has received a major update and Windows is a huge part of their user base and not going to be abandoned, I think it's safe to assume they've got a major revision on the way. . . but Evernote never comments on their timeline.

In the mean time, what is EN missing that alternatives such as Google provide? (And if you're happy with a web version, the web version too has seen some major revisions recently, such as reminder integration)

Strongly considering Springpad and Onenote, and i really don't like using the web version as i need internet access to use it. 

Edit: I assumed you were happy with a browser based solution because the only alternative you initially mentioned was google.

Springpad won't do you much good on the Windows desktop as it's a mobile and web app. OneNote is certainly a capable tool, though available on far fewer platforms than Evernote. I must warn you though, OneNote sees major revisions far less often than Evernote.

• Level 5

Member of the Silent Majority checking in..

Windows Desktop Evernote client is working fine

No major changes needed here.

Keep your effort on the mobile and Mac users.

Thanks

Member of the Silent Majority checking in..

Windows Desktop Evernote client is working fine

No major changes needed here.

Keep your effort on the mobile and Mac users.

Thanks

Hush you, I'm still holding out for reminders :)

• Level 5*

Seriously, the mac update that included reminders has been out for 3 weeks. Since then, they've released iOS, Android and Windows phone updates that support this functionality too.

A windows update is on the way that will also support reminders.

When you signed up for Evernote, it didn't support reminders and there was no real indication when they would be available. But you still signed up, so because you don't have something that you've never had you are going to look at Google instead? OK then.

I'll be honest, while Springpad looks promising it doesn't offer anything that Evernote doesn't already do so not worth the effort to switch, And OneNote is very poor on mobile devices.  Lots of People are shouting about Google Keep but it so basic it laughable. 

I will just have to keep waiting, just annoyed that Windows seems to be such a low priority for Evernote right now. 

• Level 5*

That's the thing, you have no idea that it's a low priority - you just know that they haven't released the latest version yet. But you don't know why and I'm pretty sure it's not because they are deliberately ignoring the most widely used desktop OS.

You could be right, but thats how it feels, especially when they won't even comment on it, they have been saying it's coming soon for months and that is all.

Look around. EN does not publish ETAs or their roadmap & they do not reply to every thread. A lot of other users are clamoring for their long awaited feature. Due dates/reminders have been coming for a few years. They will show up when they show up.

Considering every other platform has received a major update and Windows is a huge part of their user base and not going to be abandoned, I think it's safe to assume they've got a major revision on the way. . . but Evernote never comments on their timeline.

In the mean time, what is EN missing that alternatives such as Google provide? (And if you're happy with a web version, the web version too has seen some major revisions recently, such as reminder integration)

In my view, Evernote is missing a decent editing capability. For example the ability to highlight text, do 'real' tables, create a document from a template (again, a real template), text and graphics working together without behaving irrationally, bullets/number that works as you would expect a 2013 app to work ... uh oh, I'm starting to rant. You get the idea. 

In my view, Evernote is missing a decent editing capability. For example the ability to highlight text, do 'real' tables, create a document from a template (again, a real template), text and graphics working together without behaving irrationally, bullets/number that works as you would expect a 2013 app to work ... uh oh, I'm starting to rant. You get the idea. 

I don't expect every 2013 app to have the document and spreadsheet capabilities of word and excel... unless you mean Office 2013, then you'd be right. But Evernote isn't an office suite replacement and never will be. It really sounds like you want Evernote to be OneNote ... so use OneNote. ;)

Some of you folk are funny, you are like impatient children :P*, "I want it NOW or I am going to switch to Google!"  Oh NOZ, what will EN ever do without you?  If it were some horrible bug it would be one thing, but you're angry because you haven't gotten your candy because it's been a whole 3 weeks since the Mac users got their candy.  3 weeks is the blink of an eye in software development, I've dealt with companies that promised updates that either never happened or were years in the making.  I am just happy to know it's coming soon.

*Yes, some could say the same of me :P.

I don't expect every 2013 app to have the document and spreadsheet capabilities of word and excel... unless you mean Office 2013, then you'd be right. But Evernote isn't an office suite replacement and never will be. It really sounds like you want Evernote to be OneNote ... so use OneNote. ;)

Hello Browncoat, I admit I'm an "and" kinda guy as distinct from an "or" kind. So I want to multi platform AND editing. As for editing at Word level, that's neither what I said nor what I am wishing for, but, that said, OneNote is an example of a great editor. It's interesting how the discussion around editor functionality seems to quickly become 'it's not Word so take Evernote as it is or choose something else.'  I do want to use Evernote for all my note taking and editing on my many devices. That's why I love it. And I would like a decent editor too. Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Lots of People are shouting about Google Keep but it so basic it laughable. 

Agree, it looks like some type of childish toy that someone threw together in 15 minutes using some type of automated app tool, I think the people who keep mentioning it have either never tried it, or are such Google fanbois they lack all judgment.  The product is beyond laughable, at least in its current state.

Hello Browncoat, I admit I'm an "and" kinda guy as distinct from an "or" kind. So I want to multi platform AND editing. As for editing at Word level, that's neither what I said nor what I am wishing for, but, that said, OneNote is an example of a great editor. It's interesting how the discussion around editor functionality seems to quickly become 'it's not Word so take Evernote as it is or choose something else.'  I do want to use Evernote for all my note taking and editing on my many devices. That's why I love it. And I would like a decent editor too. Seems like a reasonable request to me.

I actually think OneNote is THE product EN should look at in terms of "how can we make our product better".  And maybe Springpad too, they are doing something interesting stuff.  I much prefer EN to ON, though at times I've gone back and forth on that subject.  But EN should look at everything ON does better, just in the way that Apple just updated OS7 to reflect all the things that Android does better.  But instead I often see a lot of fanboi attitude on these forums which results in the attitude that EN has nothing to learn from ON and "if you want that use ON"

One thing EN should do IMO is add some features that power users would love even if they don't see them as crucial to the greater market place.  A simple example?  Sortable tables.  ON 2013 now has it.  EN should have it too.  Awesome useful feature for EN geeks.

I actually think OneNote is THE product EN should look at in terms of "how can we make our product better".  And maybe Springpad too, they are doing something interesting stuff.  I much prefer EN to ON, though at times I've gone back and forth on that subject.  But EN should look at everything ON does better, just in the way that Apple just updated OS7 to reflect all the things that Android does better.  But instead I often see a lot of fanboi attitude on these forums which results in the attitude that EN has nothing to learn from ON and "if you want that use ON"

One thing EN should do IMO is add some features that power users would love even if they don't see them as crucial to the greater market place.  A simple example?  Sortable tables.  ON 2013 now has it.  EN should have it too.  Awesome useful feature for EN geeks.

Yeah it's interesting to read a number of posts from people who say they are not part of Evernote and then go on speak authoritively on their behalf :-) And I agree re OneNote with the exception of going back and forth. I'm clear EN is my current product as platform support is higher on my priority list than a great editor ... but just.

Hi TeePee,

There are a number of people on this forum who are indeed not Evernote employees, but they speak with great knowledge and authority. I should also point out that they do have an insight into what Evernote are doing!

Sometimes it might be worth listening to them, after all they are here to help you and other members.

Best regards

Chris

I'm clear EN is my current product as platform support is higher on my priority list than a great editor ... but just.

Actually ON now has pretty wide platform support, they have an iPhone and iPad app, and an Android app.  They all work like TOTAL SH*T, but they have them :D.

Hi ZZZ,

That is how I ended up coming to Evernote. I had been using OneNote for many years and then decided the ability to use it on the iPad would be a great idea. So I paid, installed and realised it just didn't work!

Regards

Chris

Hi TeePee,

There are a number of people on this forum who are indeed not Evernote employees, but they speak with great knowledge and authority. I should also point out that they do have an insight into what Evernote are doing!

Sometimes it might be worth listening to them, after all they are here to help you and other members.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris, I appreciate your comments. I agree that evangelists on this board do their very best to provide help. In fact you have personally helped me. That said, my point was around speaking on behalf of an entity with a mandate to do so, not about the helpfulness of evangelists. I hope that's clearer?

Take care

Yeah it's interesting to read a number of posts from people who say they are not part of Evernote and then go on speak authoritively on their behalf :-) .

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35616-constant-difference-of-opinion-with-the-evangelists/

Hello Burgers, you're making a point here which, if I understood it I would respond to. Can you help me out by being clearer and to the point? Thanks

Hello Burgers, you're making a point here which, if I understood it I would respond to. Can you help me out by being clearer and to the point? Thanks

These two things are not mutually exclusive:

Yeah it's interesting to read a number of posts from people who say they are not part of Evernote and then go on speak authoritively on their behalf :-)

I hope that clarifies it for you.

Thread is still locked, but to clarify for the OP, yes, Reminders are most definitely coming out for Windows, and a major update is in the works.

(EDIT: reopening so conversation can continue.  Received feedback from other users in thread that they were still looking for the conversation to continue.  We like constructive conversation, so continue to have at it.  Please carry on with regard to the OP and general direction of the conversation, and please refrain from personal attacks here on the board.  Should this thread continue in the direction of personal attack, I'll relock. Thanks!)

• Level 5*

Another condescending and useless post from you.   Great knowledge and authority and insight.  Oh my!  Barf.

Locking the thread since personal attacks go against board policy.

The guy said that he thought you posted something condescending and you label it as a personal attack. Oh the irony... :lol:

Looking at the previous mac releases, what came before Reminders? Version 5. This was a relatively big release from EN that was part of them making some big changes to the way that it worked, and looked. After that, Reminders were introduced into the Evernote environment.

Such a large update had to have taken a while, and I would argue that a similar thing is happening here, with the Windows Client. Perhaps we are waiting for this large change, which now may also include Reminders on top of whatever changes/updates they may be making.

Another thought. Many have pointed out that Windows is a large portion of the EN userbase, and (IMO) is the most feature packed (read complicated) version of EN. Perhaps this is another factor to be considered when updating it, and adding more features. It may well be more of a task to do so, and to do so right.

I for one am very eager to see the Windows version update (I am one of the constant update checkers :P)

Archived