Best way to add many nested tags?

Is there an unclunky way to add a whole lot of tags; especially tags that need to have a nested relationship?  I searched and tried many things tonight to no avail.  Below is what I wrote to a client as the best route I could figure out.

The benefit I see in Nesting is that it will help you keep your tags organized in the long run.  However, I can find no un-clunky way to make a lot of nested tags.  The problem is that it appears that you always have to drag the tags over to the parent tag to turn it into a child.  (I tested it on the web and the mac.)  Here is the best option I was able to come up with:

When you first create the tags put a letter in front of them and then you can either keep the letter there or remove it after you have nested them by right clicking and renaming them.  So you would create the tag Vendor and then for all the vendors you would put a v in front of their name v-Dell. The benefit of this is that it groups all the tags together and makes it easier to drag them into one to create a parent and children nested relationship.

You can create a new tag many ways but I think the easiest way to create a lot of tags is as follows: Open a new note, then in the Title put your Parent tag name so you know what you are about.  In the Tag section give it the Tag "Tag" first, hit Enter, then give it your Parent Tag hit Enter, then type the other tags hitting Enter after each one.  Evernote will automatically make the tags when you type them into the Tag section of a note. The last step is the same as above, you will have to go to a Tag View and drag the children tags to nest under the parent tag.

• Level 5*

Is there an unclunky way to add a whole lot of tags; especially tags that need to have a nested relationship?  I searched and tried many things tonight to no avail.  Below is what I wrote to a client as the best route I could figure out.

The benefit I see in Nesting is that it will help you keep your tags organized in the long run.  However, I can find no un-clunky way to make a lot of nested tags.  The problem is that it appears that you always have to drag the tags over to the parent tag to turn it into a child.  (I tested it on the web and the mac.)  Here is the best option I was able to come up with:

When you first create the tags put a letter in front of them and then you can either keep the letter there or remove it after you have nested them by right clicking and renaming them.  So you would create the tag Vendor and then for all the vendors you would put a v in front of their name v-Dell. The benefit of this is that it groups all the tags together and makes it easier to drag them into one to create a parent and children nested relationship.

You can create a new tag many ways but I think the easiest way to create a lot of tags is as follows: Open a new note, then in the Title put your Parent tag name so you know what you are about.  In the Tag section give it the Tag "Tag" first, hit Enter, then give it your Parent Tag hit Enter, then type the other tags hitting Enter after each one.  Evernote will automatically make the tags when you type them into the Tag section of a note. The last step is the same as above, you will have to go to a Tag View and drag the children tags to nest under the parent tag.

Hi. You may want to take a look at this thread.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22415-how-i-use-tags-to-replicate-nested-folders/

Yes! At least a little easier I think.

Create the parent tag and then right click it and one of the options is Create tag in "Parent tag" So you can skip the put them in a note and then find them in the overall tag list and drag them to the parent tag. 

I do not see a way to create a bunch of tags all at once, you will have to right click and add each tag one at a time. 

• 7 months later...

I'm on the newest Mac release (5.5.0) and I can't find any option to create a nested tag. The only way I can do it is to create a tag and then drag it on top of the desired parent tag. There is no "create tag in parent" option when I right click. Am I just not looking in the right place?

• 1 month later...

There used to be something which worked to create a nested tag when one was sitting on the parent. I can't remember it which is why I'm doing this search right now. It WAS something like Control+Shift+Insert, but that isn't it.

However, if one goes to the top of Tags where there is a display/list of all tags on the right, and right-click on the parent, there is an option to add a child tag there.

Archived