(Archived) Offline Note Issue

Bartman001

I love being able to store notes offline but I'm having a slight problem with how it is currently implemented in Android. When in a poor signal area or an area with poor data coverage (I won't mention any names, SPRINT!) it can take an inordinate amount of time to pull up a note that stored in an offline notebook; Even though the note is stored locally on the the phone.  Sometimes I can't retrieve it at all. This was even evident when the Evernote servers were offline for maintenance, resulting in the seemingly never ending spinning circle while trying to view a note.

The only way I can get around it is too physically turn off my data, which is a pain, especially when your in a hurry. Once the data connection is turned off, any offline notes load with no issue.

Does anyone else run into this issue?

Yep, same here. I'm guessing that's working as intended, though. It's almost always going to be preferable to get the latest version from the Internet, rather than open a local one and risk it being out of sync.

In most versions of Android it should be pretty easy to turn data off and on - mines a swipe and a tap.

Agreed - but this is a workaround. The better solution would be to have an option "prefer local copy"... much like browsers can do.  My typical use case where this is annoying is when traveling, I often have to look up the hotel details for the taxi driver, sometimes it take minutes for the darn thing to load. 

So to answer the OP, yeah, I have this issue as well.  Until now I wasn't aware that turning of the data would fix it.  Thanks for the tip :)

Archived