How to import Delicious bookmarks (Tags and all)

I'd like to move all my bookmarks form Delicious to Evernote.

I've exported my Delicious bookmarks to HTML.

I've searched around for guides on how to import this to Evernote, but all the guides seem to be out-of-date and using features that no-longer exist.

Is there still some relatively simple way for a normal user to import just under 1000 bookmarks to Evernote?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

If you export your bookmarks to html you can open the bookmarks or the file in a browser and use the web clipper to clip sections,  or drag/drop the file itself into a note and import all bookmarks in one note.

• 4 weeks later...

I've searched around for guides on how to import this to Evernote, but all the guides seem to be out-of-date and using features that no-longer exist.

Is there still some relatively simple way for a normal user to import just under 1000 bookmarks to Evernote?

works for me -> http://dr-palaniraja.blogspot.com.br/2010/12/import-delicious-bookmarks-to-evernote.html

works for me -> http://dr-palaniraja.blogspot.com.br/2010/12/import-delicious-bookmarks-to-evernote.html

You're right - that worked! Thanks so much. Evernote support told me it was not possible, so I will try to tell them that they should at least point people to the above link.

For anybody following this - it's not entirely straightforward, but with a bit of persistence and experimentation I got it to work. I think the main thing I did was infact to ignore the *Update* and just follow the original instructions. 

That way still doesn't work, for me. I tried it today, and with or without the revision, the "MISSING_NOTE_TITLE" still shows up!! Windows user. I've tried many different variations of the same thing, and still no dice.

Thanks for your help, if you can come up with something!!

Also, you would think this would be an option that Evernote provides, right? Why make it hard to switch?? :P I switched, because whatever Delicious did in their own update, sometime last year, sloooooowed everything majorly down, for me. No point in sticking to it, if it doesn't work. Also, I love the fact that Evernote will search words in a picture!! Fantastically amazing!!! What I've always wanted.

• Level 5*

That way still doesn't work, for me. I tried it today, and with or without the revision, the "MISSING_NOTE_TITLE" still shows up!! Windows user. I've tried many different variations of the same thing, and still no dice.

Thanks for your help, if you can come up with something!!

Also, you would think this would be an option that Evernote provides, right? Why make it hard to switch?? :P I switched, because whatever Delicious did in their own update, sometime last year, sloooooowed everything majorly down, for me. No point in sticking to it, if it doesn't work. Also, I love the fact that Evernote will search words in a picture!! Fantastically amazing!!! What I've always wanted.

Did you read the additional comments?

anon36.png

I also had the MISSING_NOTE_TITLE error but had no empty tags

The problem I found and solved was that some texts inside title tags had the "tab" character.

Finding that character and deleting it and managed to import successfuly all bookmarks.

There were a couple of others that might be relevant..

• 5 months later...

You're right - that worked! Thanks so much. Evernote support told me it was not possible, so I will try to tell them that they should at least point people to the above link.

This worked beautifully for me as well and the comments on Dr Palaniraja's website helped me to overcome the delicious settings of only being able to export 1000 bookmarks. Seeing I had almost 3,000, it had to be done in three different files and I now have three different nootebooks containing bookmarks. It also brought in all my TAGS and notes and everything, I was IMPRESSED.

But I was trying to import them into a Notebook I called Bookmarks but seemed to want to create a new one for each import. Now when I use the Webclipper it wants to add them to one of three different website link notebooks, while my Bookmark Notebook is empty.

Is there a better way to organise Notebooks like this? For instance would it be better to merge them into the Bookmark Notebook?

Thanks, James

• 6 months later...

What about using this: http://www.feed2feed.com/ ? This service generates an enriched feed, namely a delicious rss feed that is completed with images. Then you can easily import this generated feed into evernote. Works perfectly for me.

How, exactly?

I had them generate it for me, and it said it worked, but nothing happened; I got a 404.

I was going to ask what to do next, but even step one hasn't worked.

I wish there was just a simple option for this.

Can I make a suggestion? If you're looking for a full featured replacement for Delicious, I really don't think EN is very well suited for detailed bookmarking. I use and strongly suggest you take a look at Diigo. Below is an excerpt from a post I made about them earlier this summer.

In addition to the info in the below quoted excerpt, below is a link to an article on Diigo's specifically addressing moving from Delicious to them. If you have, or will have, a lot of bookmarks and you like them to be a whole lot more that just a web link, you really should give this article and their site a look through:

https://www.diigo.com/transition-from-delicious-to-diigo-faq/

DIIGO - A cloud based Bookmarking service

https://www.diigo.com/

This nifty software is far more than a mere bookmarking tool that saves a clickable link for you. FAR MORE!

Diigo is *not* an app you download to your computer or mobile device. It is strictly cloud based, just like the Web version of Evernote, so you can access and use it anywhere, anytime. All you need is to sign-up and have internet access.

Diigo is actually a professional research tool that lets you bookmark, archive, sort, file and organize everything any way you want. It also allows you to create plain text notes and so much more.

There are three price plans available:

* Free - *unlimited* bookmarks, but there are some features unavailable to free accounts

* $20.00 USD annually - notably less restricted features

* $40.00 USD annually - full access to a bucket load of awesome features

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't looked into it, but I *think* one or both of the paid plans allow you to Share your Bookmarks with others. Don't quote me on that please.

• 1 year later...

Are there any EN-supported options to import Delicious bookmarks at this point?  It's hard to believe that this dr-palaniraja hack is still the best available solution for a pretty common use-case.

Also, the URL used in Step 1 <https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/all > is no longer valid with the way Delicious has re-factored their site.  I'm sure I can figure out the new URL, but before I go down a rabbit-hole, I wanted to see if there was a more mainstream solution for importing Delicious bookmarks (and their associated tags).

TIA for any help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 18/03/2016 at 6:40 PM, JBEN said:

Are there any EN-supported options to import Delicious bookmarks at this point?  It's hard to believe that this dr-palaniraja hack is still the best available solution for a pretty common use-case.

Also, the URL used in Step 1 <https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/all > is no longer valid with the way Delicious has re-factored their site.  I'm sure I can figure out the new URL, but before I go down a rabbit-hole, I wanted to see if there was a more mainstream solution for importing Delicious bookmarks (and their associated tags).

TIA for any help!

Nothing that I'm aware of,  sorry.. :(

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:02 AM, nzkeith said:

Hello, your approach worked, but it was tough for a noob like me.

1. I never used Ruby before.
  2. I suppose you mean by 'clone' is make a copy of this Repo. Wait, what's a Repo or a repo folder?
  3. Once Ruby is installed, wow, how do you use it? Slowly figured that out too. 
  4. Instead of edit the delicious to evernote.rb to set in_filename, why not tell the user to rename his html file to delicious.html?
  5. I had to figure out how to go to the repo folder from the command line (hey, I'm a noob). 
  6. I also had to figure out that gem install bundler, bundle install, and bundle exec ruby delicious to evernote.rb were three separate commands. And I needed internet access (my firewall blocked ruby.

And in the end, I got an error message "could not import notes, errr: CANT_SET_NOTE_TAG" but my notes were imported anyway, so thank you again. I think you need to explain your steps a little more completely so noobs can follow.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Archived