Hyperlinks not linkifying in plaintext notes containing links

justdave72

Idea

I've often pasted snippets of emails or tweets from twitter into Evernote to save for later.  The text is usually plain text, not html, but often contains hyperlink URLs.  It has always linkified them for me, so when I retrieve the note later, I can tap/click the link to go visit it.  I'm normally placing these into Evernote on my Android app and retrieving them from the Mac app.

There was an update to the app (both on Mac (now 5.1.3) and Android (now 5.1.1)) recently, and since that update, I'm getting links linkified in the Mac version probably about a quarter of the time, but most of the time it doesn't link them, and I have to actually copy/paste them to the browser instead of clicking.  These same notes show up with the links linkified in the Android app.  Any idea what's up?

14 replies to this idea

1. Using Plume on Android, click the Share button on a tweet (which might be behind the "More" button depending how big your screen is)
  2. Pick "Evernote - Create Note" from the share targets menu
  3. tap the checkmark on the top left to save the note
  4. Go to the Mac app and click the Sync button so the note you just saved will show up
  5. Click on the note to view it

I've not been able to determine any pattern as to anything that might be different between when I get links and when I don't.

They still show as links in the Android app.  When synced to the Mac sometimes they show as links and sometimes they don't.  Usually don't, lately.  I haven't had anything make it to the Mac with links intact since Jun 8th.

And if it helps any, I know Plume is sharing it as plaintext (not html), with the links as just part of the text. I've always gotten it as plain text if I share from Plume to an email.  I got the impression Evernote had been adding the links for me when creating the note (which I appreciated and have come to depend on in this case).  And they are all tappable in the Android Evernote app, just not in the desktop version on the Mac.

justdave72,

I have the same problem, but I use the Android Evernote app to share tweets from TweetDeck (which has not had updates for a long time), and I open them later on Windows.  I suspect the problem is with the latest Android update.  Maybe they were trying to compensate for the overzealous linking of numeric text as phone numbers.  Guess we'll have to wait for them to notice and fix it.

Still waiting on a solution for this.  FWIW, I can paste snippets from a web page into evernote from the Android web browser, and the links are all still there on the Android evernote app, but once it syncs to the Mac the links are gone.

And this happens 100% of the time since I posted this, the "happens some of the time" may have just been looking at different notes that were posted before and after it started happening.  So at this point it looks like a regression from an update on or slightly before June 7th or so.  I'm currently on version 5.1.3 on both Android and Mac (so two new versions have come out on Android since I started having this problem, and they haven't fixed it yet)

Hi Dave

I'm just curious which version of the Android OS you're using as I was surprised more folks have not mentioned having this issue.  I'm stuck with Froyo (2.2.2) on my phone, so I wonder if you're also running an older Android and we've gotten left behind.  I've contacted support as well, I'll follow up on how that plays out.

I'm currently on Jelly Bean (4.2.2).  I just migrated last week from a device that was on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.1.2), and had the same problem there.

In case anyone else (still) has this problem, I'll just say that I never saw any action on this problem from support. They sent me a message to know that the bug was reported, and to this day it's still an issue for me.

Archived