(Archived) Feature request - show total size of notebooks when multiple notebooks selected

Uwe Moeschel

Idea

9 replies to this idea

When more than one notebook is selected, I would like to see the total size in MB of the selected notebooks. 

This is for sync and upload information.

Please see screen shot.

Why? I would think most of the time, any given notebook has notes that are already sync'd. So the size of the entire notebook is meaningless when it comes to the upload amount.

This is when selecting the notes from the local notebook and then moving them to a notebook which is no longer local ... Hence it would be useful for me to know the size.

Unless you're always moving to an empty notebook, the notebook size is still not helpful in this case. However, when you move from a local notebook to a sync'd notebook, the usage meter on your desktop includes that. You can then move some or all of the notes back to a local notebook, before sync'ing, if you don't want to upload them all.

This is when selecting the notes from the local notebook and then moving them to a notebook which is no longer local ... Hence it would be useful for me to know the size.

Unless you're always moving to an empty notebook, the notebook size is still not helpful in this case. However, when you move from a local notebook to a sync'd notebook, the usage meter on your desktop includes that. You can then move some or all of the notes back to a local notebook, before sync'ing, if you don't want to upload them all.

If I understand correctly, OP wants to know how much data he is about to upload. If he's close to reaching the monthy limit, it is helpful to know if he can "afford" to upload everything or have to wait. I have been in the situation several times. The method you propose is rather tedious and does require that you disable automatic sync.

So, I think it's a good suggestion. Also, if you're merging notes, it would be helpful to know if the resulting note would be within the allowed 100Mb or, in some cases, if I can fit more notes into the merge before exceeding the limit.  

Another thing is that I would like to have a list of notes showing in the order they're selected instead of the pile of notes that reveals no useful information whatsoever.

If I understand correctly, OP wants to know how much data he is about to upload. If he's close to reaching the monthy limit, it is helpful to know if he can "afford" to upload everything or have to wait. I have been in the situation several times. The method you propose is rather tedious and does require that you disable automatic sync.

So, I think it's a good suggestion. Also, if you're merging notes, it would be helpful to know if the resulting note would be within the allowed 100Mb or, in some cases, if I can fit more notes into the merge before exceeding the limit.  

Another thing is that I would like to have a list of notes showing in the order they're selected instead of the pile of notes that reveals no useful information whatsoever.

I've been in this situation as well.  FWIW, I have never disabled sync when doing this as I move things gradually based upon either importance or size.  (IE if I really want something in the cloud or if I want to get as many notes as possible, I'll sort by size & transfer a group of the smaller notes until I'm closer to the limit. 

I don't understand your last statement, unless you're talking about manually ordering the notes.  If that's the case, that has been discussed before.

I've been in this situation as well.  FWIW, I have never disabled sync when doing this as I move things gradually based upon either importance or size.  (IE if I really want something in the cloud or if I want to get as many notes as possible, I'll sort by size & transfer a group of the smaller notes until I'm closer to the limit.

Yes, I've done something similar. It is tedious.

I don't understand your last statement, unless you're talking about manually ordering the notes.  If that's the case, that has been discussed before.

Probably because you're are not a Mac user. Take a look at OPs screenshot again. When you select multiple notes, Evernote will show that window with all the notes piled on top of each other - it looks kinda nice, but it doesn't tell you anything. Why not just have a plain list? I know sort ordering on Mac has been discussed before, that is not what I am addressing. Only that a more informative layout would be helpful.

Archived