(Archived) buying a tablet

• Level 5*

Hi. There are so many things to consider, I don't even know where to start! We'd need to know a little more about you and your use case.

Assuming there is no memory expansion available (the Nexus 10, for example), I think a lot of people consider 32GB to be the sweet spot. In my case, my Evernote files are barely over 1 GB total, so I am fine with 16 GB on my Nexus 7.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey (I don't think I ever wrote THAT before... LoL) Actually, the Nexus 7/16 was at the top of my list. I imagine that you find the screen size fine for reading pdf's? I have over 2000 notes and I wanted a more portable way to read a lot of the pdfs it holds that's bigger than my smartphone. The only other function I expect to use a lot is Kindle for ebooks. 

• Level 5*

Thanks GrumpyMonkey (I don't think I ever wrote THAT before... LoL) Actually, the Nexus 7/16 was at the top of my list. I imagine that you find the screen size fine for reading pdf's? I have over 2000 notes and I wanted a more portable way to read a lot of the pdfs it holds that's bigger than my smartphone. The only other function I expect to use a lot is Kindle for ebooks.

Hi. I am actually not that keen on the screen size. It is OK, and it gave me an inexpensive opportunity to familiarize myself with Android more, but I much prefer a larger screen for PDFs. When the next Nexus 10 comes out (or Nexus 11, acc. to rumors), I may get that. I quite like the current Nexus 10, but it is getting a little long in the tooth, so I wouldn't recommend buying that now. If you are looking to just read PDFs and use Kindle, the iPad is worth considering. The screen aspect ratio is much better suited for the typical A4 sized PDF page.

As far as Evernote is concerned, the iOS and Android apps have never been better, and they are a joy to use on both devices. I have a rare problem (I am pretty sure I am the only one among all 50 million users!) that prevents iOS from working properly with my notes, so I am understandably leaning more towards Android at the moment. One of the nice things about Android is that Evernote works so well with widgets.

By the way, as this is a general topic thread, I am going to move it to the main forum. Hopefully, you will hear from more users there.

• Level 5*

I went for the 32Gb Nexus 7, better to get the extra memory if you can afford it. And be selective on your offline notebook usage. I understand the tradeoffs between screen size and portability; this device hits a sweet spot for my needs.

Archived