(Archived) Concurrent Editing a la Google Docs

Alex M

Idea

We use Evernote extensively within our team for note taking.

One of the things that we have trouble with are when multiple people edit the same note at the same time.

Today, this is resolved by the individual via a 'conflicting note' notebook being created and a copy of the note going there. This is really kludgy.

It would be AMAZING if multiple people could edit a note at the same time, just like in Google Docs.

Possible to build?

13 replies to this idea

We use Evernote extensively within our team for note taking.

One of the things that we have trouble with are when multiple people edit the same note at the same time.

Today, this is resolved by the individual via a 'conflicting note' notebook being created and a copy of the note going there. This is really kludgy.

It would be AMAZING if multiple people could edit a note at the same time, just like in Google Docs.

Possible to build?

I'm sure it's possible.  But will they elect to go this direction?  I don't know.  But I wouldn't expect it any time soon. 

will send you guys a cake if you really implement this! Waiting for it since my first SyncConflict ... 

Or just to “block” the Note where one of the team is now editing to not even let them change when you are changing ... 

and additional: 

at least you should always prioritize the “admin” - the user who shared the notebook with his team (and has the pro account) So if he edits something - all the others get “conflicts” but him 

Hi guys, 

Evernote has a partnership with LiveMinutes, a real-time collaboration platform. This is a quote from Rafe Needleman, Evernote’s Director of Developer Relations: "LiveMinutes adds real-time collaboration to Evernote’s business collaboration features. It lets colleagues edit notes in real-time, host conference calls, and save everything back on Evernote to get the most of Evernote.” You might want to check that out: liveminutes.com.

Hope it helps!

I think it would be great if Evernote ever got round to sorting 'concurrent' editing.

Live minutes seems a good idea but limited by the fact that you have to set up a meeting.

What I want is to be in a position of not knowing if someone else is working on a Note and we can both add information.

I have no idea if it is technically possible using the existing Evernote system, but it would be a very useful feature if it could be done.

Best regards

Chris

@Chris, no need to schedule a meeting to use LiveMinutes! It was the case in the first version of LiveMinutes, but we've released the new LiveMinutes a couple of months ago, and it is not meeting focused anymore. It enables you to share and co-edit on notes and documents, as well as video-conferencing or chatting with you team. You should check it out! liveminutes.com :)

Hi Vicky,

Many thanks for coming back to me.

So I can be working on an existing Note and someone else working on it at the same time and all the data is saved?

Best regards

Chris

The process is the following: you upload your Evernote note in a workspace on LiveMinutes, so that every other participant in the same workspace (people you've invited) can see the note and edit in it. This is a real time co-editing tool, so you can see who is writing in the note at the same time as you do. You can see what they write and where they write. 

Every LiveMinutes note (created in LiveMinutes or uploaded from Evernote and modified in LiveMinutes) is saved back to Evernote.

So YES => you can be working on an existing note with someone else at the same time and all the data is saved (on LiveMinutes + Evernote). :)

Hope it helps.

Hi Vicky,

It sounds very good, but won't work in my main use case. I have 15,000 Notes that can be worked on at any time. It is all of these I would want set up for concurrent note taking.

However, I can see a use in certain scenarios that would be helpful for us. When I go on holiday I create a specific Notebook where people can put my enquiries into. If I made these part of the LiveMinutes workspace that may give us useful collaboration should we want to work on the Note concurrently.

Best regards

Chris

Archived