(Archived) Feature request: PLEASE MAKE LOGICAL OPERATORS AVAILABLE IN SEARCH QUERIES

Not sure where to post feature requests, so i've revived this topic.

Please please PLEASE MAKE LOGICAL OPERATORS AVAILABLE IN SEARCH QUERIES!!

It's REALLY LAME to be stuck with just "any" and "all" operators.  Every modern search engine in the world supports logical operations to help you narrow down your search to specific items you're looking for.  Yet somehow Evernote lacks this.  This is a SERIOUS flaw, in my opinion.  This makes evernote a place where you can easily dump information, yet good luck getting it back out.  Here's the problem:

Say you have a tag structure worked out (like i do), and you want to search on some tags to remember action items.  You're stuck with this:

notebook:"Action Items" tag:"errands" tag:"@town"  tag:"@home"

Well this sucks doesn't it.  It returns 0 results.  Why?  Because this is an implicit "all" operator.  Well, i wouldn't tag something @town and @home at the same time, so this won't work.  

So evernote got clever and inserted an "any" operator, this sucks almost as bad, and here's why:

notebook:"Action Items" any: tag:"errands" tag:"@town"  tag:"@home"

This returns a laundry list, 67 results.  This isn't what i want either!  What's the problem?  It returns anything marked 'errands', plus all the non-errand stuff marked '@town', etc.  Absurd.  That's not what i want either.  In GOOGLE SEARCH, i could easily search for "errands" AND "@town" OR "@home".  Not so in evernote.  Search limits you to really mickey mouse, almost laughable queries.  This is a serious weakness and makes finding your information almost impossible, particularly when you have a tagged structure. 

Please modernize your search and catch up with the world.  Thx.

-J

Archived