Evernote Crashes on Sync

MichaelCJones

I'm having exact same problem. It also coincided with upgrading my laptop hard drive, so I was wondering if that had caused it.

I'll probably try uninstalling, deleting all Evernote folders, and re-installing (which I haven't done YET).

I cloned my hard drive (from 128gb SSD to 240GB SSD) began seeing the same issue with 4.6.6.8360 

I renamed the following directory, and then launched Evernote. Evernote then did a full sync and seems fine now.

C:\Users\<YOURWINDOWSACCOUNT>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

I am having the same problem (also with version 4.6.6.8360) and I also believe it started after I cloned and replaced my HDD. I haven't tried renaming the data folder as I am afraid that will result in losing data that has net yet sync'd. Any way to avoid data loss? Any hope of getting this resolved?

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same situation, cloned an optical HD to a SSD.  When you say "renamed" the directory, what did you rename it from and to?  My WINDOWSACCOUNT is correctly named now, so what should I rename it to?

I renamed the following directory, and then launched Evernote. Evernote then did a full sync and seems fine now.

C:\Users\<YOURWINDOWSACCOUNT>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

I would be careful about renaming folders as I think you could lose any data that has not yet been sync'd. The solution that worked for me was to completely uninstall Evernote and then reinstall it. I did not lose any data. I could be wrong about the potential for data loss, but...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same issue. I just cloned my HDD on a SSD and installed the new SSD (Crucial M4 256GB) on my Windows 7 machine.  I am having the same problem.  I am on the latest Evernote (4.6.7.8409 (268917) Public) and I still have the problem.  

I tried the renaming folder technique and the syncing works now and doesn't crash Evernote.  However, I did lose a part of the sermon I had been working on.  :(  I basically lost everything that I had worked on after I cloned to the SSD.  So that means somehow the cloning to SSD broke the sync.

Here are the instructions I followed.  I received these after submitting a support request to Evernote.  They worked, and I was able to back up and restore the local work that I had done in Evernote during the more than 1 month that it wasn't syncing.

The problem might be related to the local database of notes stored on your PC.

If you do not have any important Local Only or unsynchronized notes*, please try moving your Evernote database so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. In Evernote, go to File > Logout "Username"
2. If Evernote has closed, please re-open it. You will now be on the Sign-In page.
3. Go to Evernote > Options (upper left-hand corner)
4. Click on the "Open Database files folder" button
5. Move the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
6. Sign In to Evernote with your username and password
7. Wait for your account data to synchronize to your machine from the service.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem. Both my windows 8 desktop and my windows 8 laptop both all of the sudden stopped syncing with fatal crash. On my desktop I completely wiped and loaded windows 7 same problem. My mac however works great syncing to the exact same account. For giggles I decided to downgrade to version 4 and it works perfectly with version 4  there is something majorly wrong with version 5.  I am running the latest version of 5 also have been back and forth with evernote support sending activity logs revo uninstaller and all sorts of things nothing has worked. The only way I can make it work is to use version 4 I can't spend any more time debugging version 5

Archived